PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for 4E

ShadeRaven
November 10th, 2010, 14:58
Hey Moon, et al.

After a longer hiatus than I like (due to wife's illness), I am back in full running in FG2 (3 nights a week). First off, 2.7.2 has been quite a nice update. Well done!

There are a few things I would like to see added in the coming work though, if you don't mind at least considering them.

Daily Power Preparation. The Essentials Mage really made it stand out that there's a need to be able to prepare spells for the day. They have a growing list of daily powers and being able to say 1 for this one, 0 for that one would be wonderful. Defaulting to 1 would mean every normal daily use would still work fine for everyone else.
Encounter Power Preparation. Right now, I can use Encounter Special to functionally do what Mages need for choosing between Encounter Powers, but it would look more consistent if it was just part of Preparation as well. The fact that Power Strike now will be an encounter power that will have multiple uses also adds to this. Again, Encounter (Special) works, but if you happen to do prep for Daily, maybe prep for encounter won't be difficult either.
Inventory Sorting. I have noticed some strange, temporary glitches when it comes to inventory sorting. Items stacking under other items (locations set to other items) is unsorting itself quite often while being actively viewed. It seems to fix itself when you leave and come back, though. Not a biggie, just happened to remember this.

You know.. I am pretty sure there were a couple of other things that came to mind in the recent sessions, but I forgot to write it down. Oh well. It'll come to me.

At any rate, thanks as always!
SR

PS: By the way, I have seen people literally put a number into the chat box directly but don't know how they do it. So, for example, I could put out something like... "Hey, guys.. you earned the following XP:" followed by a Number that they could drag to their XP field to automatically add it to their characters' totals. Can someone be kind enough to explain how that's done again? Thanks!

Griogre
November 10th, 2010, 23:06
Hey Moon, et al.

Daily Power Preparation. The Essentials Mage really made it stand out that there's a need to be able to prepare spells for the day. They have a growing list of daily powers and being able to say 1 for this one, 0 for that one would be wonderful. Defaulting to 1 would mean every normal daily use would still work fine for everyone else.
Encounter Power Preparation. Right now, I can use Encounter Special to functionally do what Mages need for choosing between Encounter Powers, but it would look more consistent if it was just part of Preparation as well. The fact that Power Strike now will be an encounter power that will have multiple uses also adds to this. Again, Encounter (Special) works, but if you happen to do prep for Daily, maybe prep for encounter won't be difficult either.
Inventory Sorting. I have noticed some strange, temporary glitches when it comes to inventory sorting. Items stacking under other items (locations set to other items) is unsorting itself quite often while being actively viewed. It seems to fix itself when you leave and come back, though. Not a biggie, just happened to remember this.

PS: By the way, I have seen people literally put a number into the chat box directly but don't know how they do it. So, for example, I could put out something like... "Hey, guys.. you earned the following XP:" followed by a Number that they could drag to their XP field to automatically add it to their characters' totals. Can someone be kind enough to explain how that's done again? Thanks!
1) How would this be different from clicking preparation mode on the character sheet and changing things to 0 or 1?

2) I think you are right, with the changes with the essential mage's encounter powers it would make sense just have the Encounter powers area work like the Daily and Utility powers with preparation mode and get rid of the Encounter Specials.

/mod 1000 xp Will load the mod box. Then just drag the mod box to chat is one way of doing this.

Moon Wizard
November 10th, 2010, 23:46
Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look at the Essentials book when I get started on the next 4E update.

Cheers,
JPG

Leonal
November 11th, 2010, 02:46
For numbers in the chatbox just type "/die number text" (e.g. /die 500 XP). The mod box is nice if you want to send to individual players.

ShadeRaven
November 11th, 2010, 06:17
1) How would this be different from clicking preparation mode on the character sheet and changing things to 0 or 1?

2) I think you are right, with the changes with the essential mage's encounter powers it would make sense just have the Encounter powers area work like the Daily and Utility powers with preparation mode and get rid of the Encounter Specials.

/mod 1000 xp Will load the mod box. Then just drag the mod box to chat is one way of doing this.
I am not sure what you mean, Griogre. If I hit Preparation mode on the character sheet for the Wizard/Mage, all the Encounters, Utilities, and Dailies disappear. The only I can do 0 or 1 on is Uses (standard) or Encounter Special.

Do I need to activate or download a mod? Because I am looking at this and toggling it right now and the powers just aren't there.

Moon Wizard
November 11th, 2010, 16:44
The preparation mode only allows you to set Daily, Utility, Encounter Special and At-Will Special currently.

Cheers,
JPG

ShadeRaven
November 11th, 2010, 18:59
The preparation mode only allows you to set Daily, Utility, Encounter Special and At-Will Special currently.

Cheers,
JPGThanks for helping, Moon.

Edit: Heh. Shows what I get for not exploring more. Turns out Daily automatically gets a prep mode if you have more than 1. Oops. I was testing it on a character with just one. I see At-Will Special, too.

I appreciate all the efforts!
SR

Griogre
November 11th, 2010, 19:18
ShadeRaven, did you run the number of uses up to greater than zero? If you don't do that nothing will show up in preparation mode. For dailies, the number of uses should be set to the number of dailies. For utilities the number of uses should be set to the number of daily utilities.

I've seen a fair amount of players who don't use the utility section at all and just drag their utility powers in with the attack encounter or daily powers.

ShadeRaven
November 11th, 2010, 21:58
Yeah. Toying with that now. Utility works like Daily, so it's all good. :)

Magic Missile: I did notice, though, that Magic Missile (maybe because it doesn't have an attack roll?) does not add the Implement Bonus to it's damage field as it should. The 20 INT Mage with a +1 Orb should be doing 8 damage with it. Instead, unless I manually add the implement bonus, the damage output for it ends up being 7.

Edit: However, for normal encounter powers for the Mage (who gets to choose from multiple now), I can only go to using Encounter (Special) to get a choice between powers to work. That's not a big deal, though.

someoneinatree
November 24th, 2010, 01:07

I've noticed this as well. Curious but inconsequential.

If this is going to be a feature request thread... might add the ability to create text fields associated with items on the abilities tab of the character sheet. As discussed in this thread:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13715

PS. Welcome back ShadeRaven!

Moon Wizard
November 24th, 2010, 07:47
Yes, I keep my eye out for 4E feature requests, and I have quite a list just for that ruleset alone, not to mention FG requests. If only there were 3 more of us to work on all the features.

I think the inventory sorting is related to item/location names being the same, but haven't seen it. Adding some code in the new 3.5E that should address. Then, later in 4E if it works.

The ability to add data module elements on the fly is interesting, and the items in 4E are a partial example of that. I'll put it on the list.

Thanks,
JPG

TheShadow
November 27th, 2010, 20:05
How about getting the Effects to show up when you hover over the token? It's nice to see the name but sometimes it is easier to remember what is affecting a player or npc when you can just hover over it and have it listed there as well.

Moon Wizard
November 28th, 2010, 06:15
I have lots of ideas for tokens, so my long-term plan is an overhaul of the map/token subsystems.

You could potentially hack the current ruleset to show the effects quick string instead of the name on a hover. Or maybe both.

Cheers,
JPG