PDA

View Full Version : FG2 freezes after a few hours

joeysmith
November 9th, 2010, 09:34
We are trying to use FG2 as an extension/replacement for "play by post". I run the FG2 server on a dedicated Win7 machine with 8GB of RAM that does nothing all day but wait for someone to connect to the FG2 and take their turn.

About 4 times a day, I have to connect to the machine via terminal client and kill the FG2 process, and then restart it (allowing it to recover the campaign), as the app seems to freeze, rejecting connections.

Is this a known issue, and is there anything I can do to make it go away?

I should note that in these instances, neither the CPU nor RAM usage appear to be unreasonable, certainly not 100%.

Valarian
November 9th, 2010, 11:32
Do you have a screen saver set on? Sometimes the screensaver can affect the FG2 process.

joeysmith
November 9th, 2010, 11:50
No, I have no screensaver.

Phystus
November 10th, 2010, 23:50
You've probably thought of this already, but did you shut off all the power-saving features on your server? That could potentially be a problem too.

Moon Wizard
November 10th, 2010, 23:53
I've noticed that whenever I switch users, or my machine goes into a power save mode (i.e. screen savers, hibernation, etc.), that FG seems to either freeze or refuse to accept input.

I haven't really looked into the root cause of the issue as it has only occurred during extended development sessions.

My guess is that it is tied to some sort of DirectX interaction with Windows changing modes.

Make sure that your machine has all power saving options turned off, and see if you get the same issue. Also, check the memory utilization next time it happens, just in case.

Thanks,
JPG