PDA

View Full Version : No Ruleset folder

Archlyte
November 7th, 2010, 21:11
I recently got my full license as an upgrade from demo. In my application data folder there is no ruleset folder. Is this normal? I have 3.5e and 4e available when I go to make new campaigns but unsure how to add new rulesets.

Sorcerer
November 7th, 2010, 21:25
3.5 and 4E are a little different from most rulesets as they come built into FG as Pak files. other rulesets need to be dropped into the rulesets folder

On Windows Vista/windows 7, the ruleset directory is located at
C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets

On Windows XP its:
C:\documents and settings\<USER>\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets

I'm sure this folder should be created automatically, but if not try creating it yourself.
Note the path above. It is not the same the FG path in program files where the actual FG launcher program is located

Archlyte
November 8th, 2010, 00:21
Cool thank you for that direction, I was having a hard time of it. Ok I was able to make the folder and it recognized the d20_jpg ruleset downloaded from the FG2 website. So the program will automatically work with .pak files (you dont need to extract?)?

Sorcerer
November 8th, 2010, 07:30
the 3.5E, 4E pak files don't have to be extracted to work,
but how they work is a mystery to me...

I think that whilst standard rulesets (or a cut down version there of) are sent from the host to the client on first connection to a new campaign, pak files are not. since these are the 2 'built in' rulesets and all registered clients should already have a copy (after 1st update).
I'm not sure what happens if you make pak files of other rulesets not designed to work in that way.
I guess the only reason they are pak files is to do with the updater program, but I'm just guessing.

anyway glad you got things sorted and are now up and running.

drahkar
November 8th, 2010, 09:51
Actually pak rulesets are sent to the client machine just like any other. The major advantage for them is the process for installation. Instead of having to navigate and make sure everything is setup right in the Ruleset folder, you need only place the .pak file into the application directory to get them to load (ie C:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II\)

They also make it a lot easier to wrap an installer around them.

Sorcerer
November 8th, 2010, 10:53
thanks for the clarification Drahkar.

Do they also have some downside?

I mean nearly all the rulesets available (that I have seen) are not in pak format so I was wondering why?

drahkar
November 8th, 2010, 11:00
Mainly is it takes a bit of effort to get it all setup. From my personal experience I haven't found any real differences between the two. I think at one point the synchronization was handled differently. but I don't know if that is still the case.

As it is, in my experience, the pak files are just easier to transfer around and are a cleaner install. I think a lot of people don't use them because they want to have easy access to the ruleset code for modification.

Doug or Moon? Could you clarify if there is any major differences between a .pak and a unpacked ruleset these days?

Moon Wizard
November 9th, 2010, 01:51
I'm not 100% on my understanding of this portion of the code. It's actually one of the areas I want to learn more about soon, just to make sure it works like I would expect.

From my limited understanding, the PAK file is essentially treated like a big basket of files for the ruleset, just like a folder. The advantage is that only the host can load files from a ruleset folder, so a PAK file allows the ruleset to be "pre-installed" on the client instead of downloaded at connect time.

The main part I'm unclear about is what happens when the GM has a folder, and the client has a PAK. I suggest that either both have a PAK, or not.

Regards,
JPG