PDA

View Full Version : New player on the demo version looking for a 3.5 game.

Azjor
November 3rd, 2010, 02:26
Hi, I was just told about fantasy grounds, and thought I'd give it a try. I'm interested in playing a 3.5 game. If anyone is interested in running the demo campaign or anything else let me know.

Swampsurfer
November 7th, 2010, 08:13
. . . I too need someone to try out the demo with.

I messed with it a little, but don't even understand how to create a character. /shrug

I want to learn, but don't know where to begin.

Leonal
November 7th, 2010, 08:16
As a start I'd recommend you to check out the user guides in in the library and/or the various video tutorials available if you haven't already.

Although they are system specific, many things are shared by the various rulesets.

Sigurd
November 7th, 2010, 12:58
The demo is much more a proof of concept and connectivity check than a full game.

If you go for a license try and get the full one so you can DM as well as play.

Swampsurfer
November 7th, 2010, 23:57
How does one play D&D 4e in Fantasy Grounds? Does one have to enter all D&D 4e related information for each power, feat, weapon, etc. that is not represented in the initial installation; or is there a download or patch (MOD) that brings all of that information into the application for the user?

I would hope it is the latter because of the uniformity necessary to allow everyone to be "on the same page" sort of speak. If it is a patch/MOD, does it update regularly off of the D&D Insider Compendium to ensure the most up-to-date information available?

Also, if I invest in Fantasy Grounds, am I paying for a product or a subscription of use?

someoneinatree
November 8th, 2010, 01:21
How does one play D&D 4e in Fantasy Grounds? Does one have to enter all D&D 4e related information for each power, feat, weapon, etc. that is not represented in the initial installation; or is there a download or patch (MOD) that brings all of that information into the application for the user?

Due to the copyright WotC has on all 4e material, no game content can be provided by FG2. If you have a DDI subscription however, the 4e Parser (download here (https://dnd-4e.blogspot.com/)) can be used to create modules of all the content; usually created on a per book basis eg. PHB1 or Primal Power. There's plenty of threads on the forum where people discuss how to use the Parser if you search for it. Its actually very easy once you get the hang of it!

Also, if I invest in Fantasy Grounds, am I paying for a product or a subscription of use?

You are paying for a product; once you purchase a licence that licence is yours to keep and includes future software updates for FG2 including increased features on supported rulesets like the 4e one. 4e content however must continue to be downloaded via your DDI subscription or through manual input from purchased books.

Swampsurfer
November 8th, 2010, 03:13
Thanks for your feed back Chezcaliente. Is in not possible to get 4e related information from someone else who's already made the effort of making the edits to the ruleset, hence everyone is working off of one person's work?

My fear is that DDI will block the parcer similar to the way they shut down another virtural tabletop application that was making use of their Compendium. I can't remember the name of that 3rd party application, but I read about it on the DDI website after discovering that what I read in the Player's Handbook was outdated and that Wizards placed the development of the virtural tabletop application on hold. (WHAT A DRAG ! It's basically the reason I got a subscription to DDI).

someoneinatree
November 8th, 2010, 04:04
Is in not possible to get 4e related information from someone else who's already made the effort of making the edits to the ruleset, hence everyone is working off of one person's work?

The ruleset itself is supported by FG2 so there's no worries there. But no, there's no way to share published 4e content without breaching copyright. If you're using the parser to scrape the compendium though, most people don't do any editing once it has been scraped, so everyone is usually working off the same content.

My fear is that DDI will block the parcer similar to the way they shut down another virtural tabletop application that was making use of their Compendium.

I see no justifiable reason for WotC to block something like Tenian's Parser. They have an API that is intended for user-generated coding, and only DDI subscribers can log-in to view/use content. But, since the Parser gets its information from the Compendium, you can be assured that it includes all published errata at the time of parsing. All you have to do is do a re-parse every few months to keep your module content fresh.