PDA

View Full Version : Minor change to BRP Criticals?

GunnarGreybeard
November 2nd, 2010, 08:08
Just curious what it would take to change the BRP ruleset to define critical successes and critical failures to trigger on every 5th number instead of a 5% chance. So you get one on a 5, 10 . . . 95, 100 instead of a 5% chance of your skill level.

Would an Extension be the best method to do this?

StuartW
November 2nd, 2010, 09:44
I'm away from my Windows computer (and will be until Tomorrow evening) but I think that BRP critical/fumble results can be modified quite easily by an extension, and suggest you go down the 'MyQuest' route.

I'll dig out some code over the next few days.

Stuart

StuartW
November 4th, 2010, 08:10
I've had a look into this and it is as I expected: extensions can change the way special rolls are determined by registering to handle the function getRollResult(). The default handler does the following:

function getRollResult(skilllevel,roll)
local fumble = 101-math.floor((100-skilllevel)/20+0.5);
local special = math.floor(skilllevel/5+0.5);
local critical = math.floor(skilllevel/20+0.5);
if fumble>100 then
fumble = 100;
end
-- which category is the result?
if roll>=fumble then
return "FUMBLE!";
elseif roll>95 or roll>skilllevel then
return "Failure";
elseif roll<=critical then
return "CRITICAL!";
elseif roll<=special then
return "SPECIAL";
end
return "Success";
end

The skilllevel parameter contains the chance of success and the roll parameter contains the die roll, adjusted to reflect any roll modifiers. The MyQuest example campaign extension provided with the ruleset includes this function, which can be modified (see the user guide PDF (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/manuals/BasicRoleplayingforFantasyGroundsII-UserGuide.pdf)).

Hope that helps

Stuart