PDA

View Full Version : Can I change the port number for FG access

doktor_avalanche
October 31st, 2010, 23:21
My wife works from home and her company pays for our broadband connection so it is locked down with router passwords etc. which I have not got access to.

I know one port is open (8080 I think) which I have been able to use with maptools but all others are closed. In maptools I changed the preferences from the default port (which did not work) to the open one and have used it ever since.

If I were to buy FG can I do the same and select which port I want it to use?

madman
November 1st, 2010, 02:27
you would need to do this. i found it in another post.

The command line is controlled through your Windows shortcut that runs FG.

Steps to set port (Need to be performed on all machines in game session)
* Find icon or menu that you use to start FG.
* Right-click on it.
* Select Properties in the drop-down menu.
* Find the Target field
* At the very end of the target field add -pXXXX, where XXXX is the new port number you want to try.

Here's an example of the target field on my machine with a port option:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II\FantasyGrounds.exe" -p8001

Cheers,
JPG

Griogre
November 1st, 2010, 08:01
Note: 1) You normally only need to open the port if you are hosting, if you are playing you should not need to change anything. 2) If you are hosting you also need to port forward the router to the correct local IP address. Something it doesn't sound like you can do, if you don't have access to the router. If that is true then you are going to need to use a VPN like Hamachi. Hamachi is free and many have used it with FG.

I'd suggest you download and use the demo to try things out, I'm pretty sure, but not positive the port setting works with the demo as its getting a bit old.

doktor_avalanche
November 1st, 2010, 23:27
Thanks to both of you.

I added the port number to the start up icon and tested the connection. It failed.

I have used port 51234 with maptools so I know it is opened and forwarded to my IP address (I had to fix the IP address). I know it works and is set up correctly for hosting at least with maptools.

Moon Wizard
November 2nd, 2010, 01:50
Are you using the Test Connection button, or actually trying to connect with another client?

I noticed the other day that the port number for the Test Connection function is hard coded to 1802.

Also, you may need the clients connecting to you to also specify the port number in their command line. I haven't tested explicitly, but I would assume you would need this so that the client knows where to check.

Regards,
JPG

doktor_avalanche
November 3rd, 2010, 11:12
Thanks for the response. Yes I was using the Test button. I will add my wife's laptop on the Lan and download the trial to her Laptop to test the connection again.

I feel like I am taking baby steps forward - I hope this works. Thanks for all your help.

doktor_avalanche
November 6th, 2010, 09:52
The methods above worked perfectly.

Thanks to all who responded.