PDA

View Full Version : Linking npc from other mods

takhtar
October 30th, 2010, 03:43
Hello all,

I am still working on putting together my mod and came up with a scenario that is not often discussed. I would like to create some encounters that point to npc/monsters from other mods ie MM or older adventure modules. What is the best way to go about this? I am at a complete loss. I can easily create the encounter entry in story.txt and the encounter.txt but not sure how to reference the npc. I guess the easy answer would be to copy the npc from previous input files but I hoping for more programatic answer. I tried to use the npc db but not sure how to approach that either. I do have a npc db that has plenty of entries.

Thanks
Tan

Sorcerer
October 30th, 2010, 08:37
I think this is fairly straight forward - although the mechanics of it is probably ruleset specific so
you need to know that what I write below works on the d20_JPG ruleset, you might have to change a few words here and there.
if you are using something else

basically, depending on what you want to do there are 2 methods.

if it is an adventure module you can simply create a story entry and create a blank link and then drag the link of a monster from your monster manual directly onto the blank link. this does not copy the monster as it would if you had dragged it to the npc/monster window. it just copies the link.
for an encounter do the same but you don't have to (actually you can't) create a blank link simply drag and drop the monster link from the source module.

if you are creating the module directly in xml. it is similar to pointing to where an image is. For d20_jpg the entires would look similar to those below.
if you want to enter this stuff directly in xml, but are not using d20_JPG i would try the 1st method and then look at the db.xml file to see what the actual format of the entires is just in case it is different in your ruleset.

for encounters (called battle in the d20_JPG xml)

<battle idcounter="2">
<category name="" mergeid="" baseicon="0" decalicon="0">
<id-00001>
<exp type="number">0</exp>
<level type="number">0</level>
<name type="string">Encounter NAme</name>
<npclist idcounter="2">
<id-00001>
<count type="number">1</count>
<link type="windowreference">
<class>npc</class>
<recordname>[email protected] Monsters</recordname>
</link>
<name type="string">Aboleth</name>
<token type="token"></token>
</id-00001>
</npclist>
</id-00001>
</category>
</battle>

obviously a real battle encounter would include more than one monster! just add more of the entries between the <npclist> tags, but change the number of the <id> tags for each monster/npc and make sure the idcounter is 1 more than the total number of id's (it always points to the next id to be created not to what we already have)

for story entires (called encounter in the d20_JPG xml)

<encounter idcounter="2">
<category name="" mergeid="" baseicon="0" decalicon="0">
<id-00001>
<name type="string">Story sheet name</name>
<text type="formattedtext">
<linklist>
<link class="npc" recordname="[email protected] Monsters">text name for the link</link>
</linklist>
</text>
</id-00001>
</category>

</encounter>

note if you use the link and the original module is not activated you will get an error in the chat window.

You can make these links for other stuff as well. I often put links to the equipment page of the players handbook in my village stores
for quick access to prices.
you can also put links to players handbook spell lists on NPC character sheets etc.

takhtar
October 30th, 2010, 17:19
Thanks for the reply. I think I screwed up saying programatically. I meant using the parser program. Do you know how to do this using the txt files and the parser?

Thanks
Tan

Sorcerer
October 30th, 2010, 19:54
sorry I don't use 4E so I've never ever seen the parser.

I'm sure someone will help you out...eventually