PDA

View Full Version : Roommates Can't connect

Latiera
October 30th, 2010, 03:06
I am running a host computer. All my players coming in from the outside can connect to the game. My room mate and I share internet and so we have the same ISP. He can't connect to the host game.

Ideas anyone?
We checked firewalls
and virus programs

Sigurd
October 30th, 2010, 07:12
Your ISP will provide you with an IP address for the gateway to your network. This is your external IP address.
Both of your machines connect to the internet through the same pipe so they both use the same browsing ip - goto "ipchicken.com" and you can find this number. This is the public IP address of your whole local subnet. Right now what happens is that your local friends information is lost when it doesn't reach your host.

Your subnet has to have a different set of IP addresses in order for local network routing. Machines behind your router have to use this IP range to communicate with each other.

You have to investigate the IP addresses given to your subnet by your router\DHCP server. (Many of them look like 192.168.1.X or 10.0.0.x.) When your local friend puts in a connection IP for the DM's computer he has to use the local IP so that the signal goes directly to the local machine.

There is a networking FAQ on this site that may help you with the setup. This is networking 101, not something that Smite Works designed.

Sigurd

Latiera
October 30th, 2010, 17:49
I am a old school rper so this stuff is all new. Even though it was not smitework question, thank you for answering. I had looked everywhere I knew how to ask and had not found the answer. You have made my day.

Sigurd
October 30th, 2010, 18:20
No problem Latiera - if you haven't seen this stuff its not obvious. I mentioned that this is networking 101 because some people get very frustrated with network issues and understandably blame FG when it is their setup, connection, or connection type that is the real culprit. We can help you work with your network but its always going to be a factor.

When you have found out the internal IP of the host machine - you can do this by checking the internet connection properties for the DM's Host - you should consider giving the host computer a defined IP address to reduce the chance of future confusions. ie If you set your dm's machine to always have the ip number it has now (or one easy to remember) you will make future setups more easy. Local IP address do occaisionally change if they are defined by DHCP - its not frequent though.

btw - You gave all the right information to make your answer easy to give.

Good luck with the program.

Sigurd

Griogre
October 31st, 2010, 00:39
FYI On the Load Campaign screen of the host in the right pane at the top FG shows the Internal IP address. Have your room mate connect by typing in this address.