PDA

View Full Version : 4e Parser

GatewayTraveller
October 27th, 2010, 17:57
I've been trying to add the character classes and races to my MOD for the 4e players handbook. I saw the templates in the sample folders of the 4e parser and understand them, but, was wandering if there was a way to use those in the parser or will I have to enter the XML into the MOD myself. If I have to enter the XML manualy, is there anyway I could see an example so I can get an idea of how it would work in the 4e ruleset.

EugeneZ
October 27th, 2010, 23:44
I don't understand your question. The classes and races are just "strings" to the parser -- they serve no purpose besides providing the parser with a list of keywords to assist it in correctly grouping powers and the like

The sample folder contains samples of data files to show you examples of how you would make your own files.

No manipulation of XML is neccessary to successfully use the parser.

GatewayTraveller
October 28th, 2010, 01:52
I should have more specific, I am looking at the templates in the 4e parser for Reference_Manual_Class_Template.txt, I have these filled out but didn't know if the parser could build them into the XML or if I would have to do it manually.

EugeneZ
October 28th, 2010, 06:22
The parser builds the XML for you. That is its entire purpose -- just to be clear, if you had to form the XML yourself, there wouldn't be much point to the parser.

The template you're referring to is not the class template, but a sample *reference* template that just happens to be reference material relating to class definitions.

If you've created a derivative by filling out the template yourself, or by creating one from scratch, the parser will turn it into XML and link it from within the module as long as you supply your file in the Reference field in the parser interface. It will do the rest and you will see the result in the Library entry for your module, under "Reference".