PDA

View Full Version : Items not showing for PCs

Maeth
October 26th, 2010, 22:19
I have several item entries for weapons and magic items my players find.
And while the module that has these items is opened and has both the green check for player access and the forced load for players also, when they try to look at the details of the item (red and white icon) they get that the item is locked or something and can't view it. The items are also identified

What can I do to ensure that my players can see their loot? :P

In the same vein, what's the best way to let my Ranger see his beast pet? I made it an NPC for use in combat (as friendly) but the same issue appears with the items, he can't view it.

I had to put all the pet's info on his chr sheet under notes but that's kind of clunky to have to view during combat.

Moon Wizard
October 27th, 2010, 02:00
The item reference module is probably a client module, especially if you are using the 4E ruleset and used the parser to create. This means that the module needs to be installed on each machine, although the GM retains control of whether the players can access.

For the pets, I usually implement them as a PC as opposed to an NPC. This lets users access the entire sheet, as well as the ability to "chat" as the pet. NPCs are for GM use.

Cheers,
JPG

Maeth
October 27th, 2010, 15:28
I didn't use the parser to create it. Only the built in 4E rule set that comes with the program itself which each of my players have.

And how can players see a PC character sheet if no one is using it? I'd have to open a second instance and log in as the pet which would bog down my computer.

Sorcerer
October 27th, 2010, 15:56
It is possible for a player to play more than one character at once.
when the player logs on he selects his character, but after he is logged on he can reopen the character selection window and select a second character - i think this is what Moon_wizard is suggesting your player does for the pet.

In terms of the 'module problem' when you created the item module and exported it which option did you select?
when you export the module the default setting is host only which means players will not be able to access it. the other options are client - which as Moon_wizard descibed the module must be present on every PC or common. which is accessable by the players, but it stays on your PC. I assume this is the option you want.

if you don't know which option you selected, then you can check by renaming it to a zip file and opening it up if there is a db.xml file then it is host only, the other options are more Self-explanatory - client.xml or common.xml.

I think you can just rename this file name to common.xml, and rename the zip back to mod and it should be ok. If I'm wrong Moon will correct me....

Sorcerer
October 27th, 2010, 16:29
-- just as an extra comment the options on the export screen are only mentioned as H, S and C.

S is for shared - this is the one that generates the common.xml type of file

i think it does have a footnote explaining this on the export screen, but my memory is not so clear about that...

Maeth
October 27th, 2010, 20:43
I'll try to export it that way.
Thanks.