PDA

View Full Version : FATE/Dresden Files RPG

spazzle
October 26th, 2010, 20:10
Has anyone done anything with the FATE system? Its very rules-light, but I would be curious to see whats available.

MOD: A Dresden Files community ruleset is available in the "Free Rulesets" page (link in the menu header of this page).

VenomousFiligree
October 26th, 2010, 21:44
*waits for Valarian to pass by* :)

Valarian
October 27th, 2010, 08:40
*passes by*

We're using FATE a lot at the moment, and enjoying the games. The Friday night group is currently playing a Dark Ages Sword and Sorcery game using a cut down version of the FATE 2.0 rules (SotC). We're playing without stunts or stress tracks. The Sunday night game is currently a Babylon 5 game using a mix of Starblazer and FATE 3.0 (Dresden Files).

There's a couple of character sheet only rulesets in the Wiki. One for SotC (and extension to the Foundation ruleset) and one for Dresden Files (based on the Base Ruleset).

Morfedel
November 12th, 2010, 03:06
Heh, I'm looking for a FATE rules set for FATE as well, both for Dresden Files AND for Strands of Fate.

drahkar
November 12th, 2010, 07:33
The current implemention, as it stands, for Dresden Files is here: https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Dresden_Files

You can also glance at what else is available here: https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Category:Systems

If you run into any broken links, let me know.

Hope this helps!

Valarian
November 12th, 2010, 09:52
I think I'll have to look at expanding the FATE offerings. Maybe a generic FATE ruleset with extensions for common brands (SotC, Dresden Files, Starblazer and Legends of Anglerre). I'm using and playing FATE a lot myself at the moment, so it'll enhance own game too. Now, if I can just find the time to delve in to the code again.

drahkar
November 12th, 2010, 10:14
Definitely sounds like the interest is growing. :) Now if only we could get the publisher to sign on as a official one so you could get the modules published as well. ;)

VenomousFiligree
November 12th, 2010, 11:03
Maybe asking if the newest publisher (Strands of Fate) is up for it?

Morfedel
November 12th, 2010, 13:51
Ok, that tool is sufficient enough. A character sheet and fudge dice is really all I need.

Nice. I have a game I'm starting soon, and I was afraid I'd have to use something else. So, now we are debating whether to use this or infrno.net, depending on whether we want to talk or type.

Valarian
November 12th, 2010, 14:01
For now, I use the Dresden Files for FATE with the three stress tracks (Dresden/Strands)
I use the SotC extension for the Foundation ruleset for FATE with two stress tracks (SotC, Starblazer, Legends of Anglerre)

Unfortunately I haven't got the time to devote to a commercial quality ruleset at the moment or, indeed, in the foreseeable future. I could look to do modules, but not ruleset coding beyond basic character sheet layouts. I still haven't got my head around the later changes to the combat tracker. I'm way behind on my understanding of that area (probably in 2.4.x somewhere).

Morfedel
November 12th, 2010, 14:08
For now, I use the Dresden Files for FATE with the three stress tracks (Dresden/Strands)
I use the SotC extension for the Foundation ruleset for FATE with two stress tracks (SotC, Starblazer, Legends of Anglerre)

Unfortunately I haven't got the time to devote to a commercial quality ruleset at the moment or, indeed, in the foreseeable future. I could look to do modules, but not ruleset coding beyond basic character sheet layouts. I still haven't got my head around the later changes to the combat tracker. I'm way behind on my understanding of that area (probably in 2.4.x somewhere).

I know what you mean!

I'm going to be buying Strands of Fate in about two weeks, excited about that. I may use the dresden files rules set as a template for making a rules set for that. :)

Valarian
November 12th, 2010, 14:08
I've contacted Fred Hicks (Evil Hat) in the past. He's been very accommodating with the community offerings as long as there's no rules included. I'm sure he'd be open to rules modules being released on a commercial basis. Not had to contact anyone at Cubicle 7 (Starblazer/Legends of Anglerre) yet as the character sheets on the wiki are for Evil Hat products (even though they're usable for Cubicle 7 products).

vodokar
April 10th, 2011, 13:26
If there is anyone else out there playing Dresden Files, you might be interested in knowing that Kairos has been making some very nice improvements to the ruleset. I'm sure he plans on making the revised ruleset available on the wiki once we get finished testing it.

myrsolon
April 10th, 2011, 19:37
It's going to be a little while before I'm ready to start my Dresden game, so I'm looking forward to Kairos' improvements! :)

kairos
April 12th, 2011, 22:26
I'll certainly want to square it with Evil Hat before I release it, but here are some screenshots. These haven't been skinned yet. Also, obviously, if this is released as a fan work, there won't be any of the text book included, but the mechanism to add it yourself would be there.

Crowley72
April 14th, 2011, 21:47
This is great! I have just purchased the DFRPG pdfs. Along with the novels, they are a great read!

I look forward to seeing this, and I hope Evil Hat will step up.

C

Valarian
April 15th, 2011, 15:22
I'll certainly want to square it with Evil Hat before I release it, but here are some screenshots.
Use the "contact us" on the Evil Hat website. You'll probably receive an email from Fred Hicks after a week or so. They're usually pretty good at responding. The feedback I got when contacting them was: "fine, but no rules". Anything more involved than a community edition ruleset is probably worth going via Doug. I don't know if he's had any contact with Evil Hat or Cubicle 7 as yet, but any contract worthy stuff would have to go through him .

Crowley72
June 24th, 2011, 00:08
Any further news on development?

I find it rather amusing that RPG companies don't go for opportunities to get the word out on their games. Even Palladium Books recently asked their fan base (as I had posted in The Tavern) what they would like to see in the future from Palladium. I posted about VTTs, FG2 specifically, and I get a very strong feeling that it went ignored, not that I'm surprised.

Why do developers ignore opportunities like this?

C

joshuha
June 24th, 2011, 03:34
Because of this thread I just found out Strands of Fate was released. Saw Dresden in the store the other day but didn't know someone had released a slightly more comprehensive baseline FATE book. Gonna go see if my local store has it tomorrow.

As to the why on developers not embracing VTTs I think that a lot of them are scared of digital. Things like torrenting of their books has scared them a lot from embracing VTTs and to some extent PDFs in general for some companies. They seem to have a feeling if they start selling primarily through the digital space that it will somehow cannibalize their print sales. I just have to say that, at least for me, that's not true. Sometimes I like to have the print book in front of me even if its in digital form but even if that were not the case, what do they lose by at least getting SOMEthing from a PDF/FG module rather than someone just pirating it anyways.

Valarian
June 24th, 2011, 08:43
Any further news on development?
There's a newer version of the community DFRPG that I'm currently testing in my own game on Sundays. Expect that to arrive in the Wiki shortly. This brings in NPC sheets and some basic combat tracker functionality (courtesy of Lee).
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=108663&postcount=20

On the commercial side, I've got a module created for character development with templates, skills, powers, stunts. Currently this is for my own use only but, if there's ever a formal communication between Smiteworks and Evil Hat, I'll put that forward for sale in the store.

joshuha
June 24th, 2011, 16:03
Because of this thread I just found out Strands of Fate was released. Saw Dresden in the store the other day but didn't know someone had released a slightly more comprehensive baseline FATE book. Gonna go see if my local store has it tomorrow.

Just realized Strand looks to be available only online/Lulu. So ordered the DriveThruRpg PDF last night and loaded it onto my Nook Color. Perfect page size for the Nook! Will go buy some FUDGE dice from my local store though to throw them some support.

joshuha
June 24th, 2011, 22:23
Man reading through this the Aspect system just clicks and resonates with me. Considered me a convert! Once I am done reading through this I may try and start a game (although in the middle of a move now so wouldn't be until middle of July at earliest).

Valarian
June 25th, 2011, 08:15
Strands of FATE seems more like a traditional RPG to me, a sort of halfway house between FATE and others. Dresden Files is the latest version of the FATE engine.

Crowley72
June 25th, 2011, 19:18
Are you sure? Your World pg 16, top of the page under "Here's the Deal" leads me to believe it's a FATE hybrid? I have only been reading the Dres files, and have not had exposure to the standard FATE system, so I wouldn't know...:D

C

Valarian
June 26th, 2011, 09:53
The standard FATE engine was built with this game in mind. The FATE 3 system was released as Spirit of the Century and as a SRD online. It's this system that is used in Starblazer Adventures and Legends of Anglerre (both Cubicle 7 FATE games). The DFRPG is a modified version of the "free" system online at the Evil Hat website. It takes the system forward in a number of ways, for example: separating mental and social conflict. No SRD is released for the DFRPG modifications to date.

joshuha
June 29th, 2011, 03:59
https://evilhat.wikidot.com/comparison-of-various-versions-of-fate is a good comparison. Strands of FATE is pretty similar to Dresden except for the skill-less approach and the power/magic difference.

phoenix23
December 18th, 2011, 02:42
Does anyone plan on starting a DF/FATE game? I'm looking to sit in and watch. :)

CAlexander
March 21st, 2012, 23:27
Hey all:

Looking at starting a Dresden Files game and wondering where this stands. At the very least, has anyone come up with a good way to recreate FUDGE dice in Fantasy Grounds?

kairos
March 22nd, 2012, 02:39
Hey all:

Looking at starting a Dresden Files game and wondering where this stands. At the very least, has anyone come up with a good way to recreate FUDGE dice in Fantasy Grounds?

I've actually got a usable but largely untested DF/Fate ruleset. All you would need to do is edit a script to add the skills and trappings. Send me your email in a PM and I'll send it along.

Valarian
March 22nd, 2012, 09:54
There's a ruleset in the FG Wiki that I've used to play several Dresden Files/FATE games. Is this the one you're using? If so, what errors or problems have you had? I've not come across any issues with the ruleset in use.

It's been updated recently (last 3 months or so) to include NPC and combat tracker.
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Dresden_Files

kairos
March 22nd, 2012, 11:55
There's a ruleset in the FG Wiki that I've used to play several Dresden Files/FATE games. Is this the one you're using? If so, what errors or problems have you had? I've not come across any issues with the ruleset in use.

It's been updated recently (last 3 months or so) to include NPC and combat tracker.

No, it's a ruleset I wrote for a DF game that never went anywhere.:)

phoenix23
March 22nd, 2012, 23:05
I haven't seen anything yet, but I am still very interested in it.

madman
March 23rd, 2012, 01:22
I would love to get my hands on a DF ruleset. That is if it's not too much trouble?

Chris

madman812 at gmail dot com

Valarian
March 23rd, 2012, 08:32
The link above points the way, or go to the wiki from the home page or downloads page.

Mask_of_winter
January 1st, 2014, 06:39
Sorry to necro this thread but are there any library modules available for the Dresden Files ruleset?

Valarian
January 1st, 2014, 18:43
Yes. They cant be shared though for copyright reasons. As usual for community rulesets.

Mask_of_winter
January 1st, 2014, 21:44
Right... Gotcha ;-)

Michael Hopcroft
February 14th, 2014, 04:39
The link to the wiki is old, apparently, and no longer works. Is there still a wiki, and what can be found therein?

Valarian
February 14th, 2014, 06:47
These are now available in the Free Rulesets section. Mine are also available from the link in my signature.

Michael Hopcroft
February 15th, 2014, 03:20
I really should ask someone to fill me in on how to GM on-the-fly using the Core system. For when you don't have time to find a ruleset and want to play something new and unique in a setting like an online con.

Aside from letting you chat and roll dice what does Core do by itself?

Trenloe
February 15th, 2014, 08:18
Think of it like pen and paper role playing without a printed character sheet, GM screen with all of the rules specific stuff on it, Printed NPC records specific to a game etc..

CoreRPG allows you to:
- have story entries the GM can share with the players, have links to other story entries, text ready to add to the chat window as a description or NPC speech, etc..
- have map images with grids, mask (fog of war), tokens (visible and invisible to the players), etc.
- image handouts you can share with one or more of the players.
- a free form character sheet for basic info (there's also an extension that expands on the character sheet) which includes attributes with modifiers, inventory and notes page.
- a basic combat tracker for keeping track of the order of acting, etc..
- character portraits and tokens.
- free form NPC sheet where you can enter rolls of the form <dice>+<modifier>, e.g. Sword attack 1d20+3, and this will allow the GM to double click on the entry to auto roll 1d20+3.
- encounter entries with token pre-placement.
- free form item sheet including item identification.
- item/treasure parcels and auto assignment to players via the party sheet.
- tables for random generation of all sorts of info.
- calendar
- free form effects.
- notes for players and GMs
- library functionality.
- the ability to put most of the above into modules for future re- use.
- tower dice rolling (GM sees the roll, players don't).
- roll modifiers

As I said, basically all of the FG functionality but without the game rules specific details and automation. CoreRPG should allow a GM to run most games just like they were sitting at the table with their players - they have to ask the players to roll for something, the player rolls (everyone can see the rolls unless they are in the tower) adds any modifiers and tells the GM the result (or they could use the modifiers box to add modifiers before the roll), the GM determines the result of the roll and acts on it. That should be a familiar process to all people who have played RPGs face to face around a table top - FG is providing the virtual table top around which to play. CoreRPG also provides a lot of the extra non game rules specific features that make GMing easier (as listed above) and the player experience better.

Load up a test campaign with CoreRPG and have a play around... :)

Michael Hopcroft
February 15th, 2014, 20:17
I fully intend to. Looks like this will enable me to do something new, fresh, and wacky at FG Con. Of course, I'll need some practice before then.

Griogre
February 19th, 2014, 21:02
I really should ask someone to fill me in on how to GM on-the-fly using the Core system. For when you don't have time to find a ruleset and want to play something new and unique in a setting like an online con.

Interesting question. In addition to what you mentioned and Trenloe mentioned, the other thing CoreRPG does is a bit counter-intuitive for an on-the-fly situation. It provides easy automation of repeated dice rolls via the hotkey bar.

Generally, one of the biggest advantage a full ruleset provides is the automation of common rolls and other tasks, typically by clicking or double clicking on something. (The other thing they do, not important for this discussion, is they provide easy access to reference material). Specific rulesets also have the hotkey bar but the more automation the ruleset provides, the less the hotkey bar tends to be used.

In the generic situation the hotkey bar becomes much more useful. You can make up to 96 hotkeys (hold down Shift, Ctrl and Alt in different combos) and can put dice rolls, dice modifiers, tokens and links in each one. For example lets say the GM needs to roll 3d6 for an attack. You can quickly click and hold a d6 to put one on your curser and while still holding down the left mouse button right click twice to get 3d6 on your curser. Instead of throwing the 3d6 into the chat box you can drop them on the hotkey bar. Then you can just click the bar or press the corresponding Fkey to roll the 3d6. Alternatively, you could just type /die 3d6 Blaster in the chat entry and then drag and drop the text onto a hotkey and then press the appropriate hotkey or click it to roll the dice.

For players, this is also really useful since character rolls rarely change over the course of an adventure. For the GM you can take a few minutes before the game and set up rolls you know you are going to need. However even if you do it on-the-fly it is very fast to set up the monster attacks/damage rolls for an encounter and this can really speed up combat and other dice rolling for the GM.

Hector Trelane
July 3rd, 2014, 05:28

Valarian, I've been familiarizing myself with your very nice Dresden Files and Fate Core rulesetsand seem to be experiencing trouble last night with image resizing in DF. Is that ruleset not updated for FG 3.x.x? Understandable if you/others haven't had the time.

As a learning exercise, I'm hoping to GM one or more one-shot sample adventures from DFRPG, and I'm trying to determine whether I should use your DF ruleset or convert them to Fate Core and run them there. (Would require some translation of the PCs and NPCs for two stress tracks, powers, etc, but could work fine.) What do you recommend?

As a side note to echo others on this thread, I'm learning about both Fate and DF for the first time from postings by you fellow gamers... Quite intrigued so far.

Trenloe
July 3rd, 2014, 05:55
Valarian, I've been familiarizing myself with your very nice Dresden Files and Fate Core rulesetsand seem to be experiencing trouble last night with image resizing in DF. Is that ruleset not updated for FG 3.x.x?
Try the "Sizing" instruction here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Windows

Valarian
July 3rd, 2014, 07:07
As a learning exercise, I'm hoping to GM one or more one-shot sample adventures from DFRPG, and I'm trying to determine whether I should use your DF ruleset or convert them to Fate Core and run them there. (Would require some translation of the PCs and NPCs for two stress tracks, powers, etc, but could work fine.) What do you recommend?

I'd stiick with the Dresden Files ruleset for now, until I've had the time to convert this to use the Fate Core ruleset as a base. What time are you looking to run this? I'd be interested in playing if it's a time I can do.

Hector Trelane
July 3rd, 2014, 18:30
Try the "Sizing" instruction here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Windows

That worked! Thanks Trenloe... (Although I note for some strange reason, some images behave differently than others when resizing: some have a maximum width or height beyond which the window won't expand, while for others the window can expand in either dimension to the entire screen.)

I'd stiick with the Dresden Files ruleset for now, until I've had the time to convert this to use the Fate Core ruleset as a base. What time are you looking to run this? I'd be interested in playing if it's a time I can do.

Okay, will use DF. I'd like to build the module and read through the rules over the next month, hope to post a game invite soon thereafter. I'd say your coding work earns you a spot! ;)

One more usage question: I'm having trouble getting character sheets to accept tokens. Is there a trick to that for the Dresden Files ruleset? I've been able to get tokens onto images just fine, but the only token that drags from character portrait in the top left to the Combat Tracker or an image is a mini, low-res version of the portrait. Thanks in advance.

Trenloe
July 3rd, 2014, 18:38
Image windows won't resize beyond their image dimensions unless the image is zoomed. Use the mouse wheel to zoom in or out. A good process of large images is to resize the image borders to make a smaller window and then use the mouse wheel to zoom the image out to fit one dimension to the image window. You can never zoom out beyond the image limits in the window. If you want to make an image look bigger, zoom in, this will the allow you to resize to the zoomed image limits.

Valarian
July 3rd, 2014, 19:16
The character sheet doesn't accept tokens. You can use the character portrait as a token, but not the other way around. The portrait is set from the player's side.

Hector Trelane
March 23rd, 2016, 16:34
Here are the Fate Core sessions I just posted to FG Con 8:

Tutorial for players brand new to Fate (https://www.fg-con.com/events/fate-core-tutorial-prequel-to-night-fears/), no prior experience required (doubling as a prequel to the next session); and
The introductory one-shot scenario, Night Fears (https://www.fg-con.com/events/fate-core-night-fears/), designed for beginning players--and those who enjoy a strong-RP game.

I'm excited to play both these sessions and have found, in preparing for them, that Fate Core's strengths really shine in character-driven narrative and narrative-driven plots. It's deepening my understanding of RP in RPGs, and promise to be interesting runs.