PDA

View Full Version : Any way to resize Icons in game?

Stonewyvern
October 25th, 2010, 23:42
I posted the question in the Tavern section, but just realized that I should make a post here for anyone that might have found a way to fix this issue.

Long story short, I'm trying to be able to pull an icon, any size, out of the token box and then resize it to fit the map I'm using. DND 4E can resize the icon on the map by just hovering over the token and CTRL+MouseWheel.

Now, I found out that I can do somewhat the same thing by putting the Creature in a Combat table and then moving the icon from their to the map. Then I CTRL+MouseWheel on the icon in the combat window and it modifies the token on the map.

Unfortunately it doesn't do it enough or lock it at the final size to be as usable as I would like. Any help would be appreciated.

My goal is to be able to run a quest, but when (not 'IF') the players go off in left field, I can pull something out and run it off the cuff.

Original Thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=99293#post99293

StuartW
October 26th, 2010, 06:35
I've always used the Combat Tracker to do this, and didn't build anything specific into the ruleset to match the 4e functionality. Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to start with tokens using a consistent scale so you don't have to do this in-game, or is this for multi-size objects (like scenary or dragons, for example)?

Stuart

Stonewyvern
October 26th, 2010, 14:12
I've always used the Combat Tracker to do this, and didn't build anything specific into the ruleset to match the 4e functionality. Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to start with tokens using a consistent scale so you don't have to do this in-game, or is this for multi-size objects (like scenary or dragons, for example)?

Stuart
Stuart,

Thanks for helping. I do know I can use the combat tracker, but it didn't completely shrink the token down to a point where it worked. Course, that might have been an issue with the icon.

As for "why", well, I want to have the freedom to play quests "off the cuff" if needed. For example, just because I write up a great Goblin quest in the swamp and get all my swamp creatures and goblins ready, the players are going to inevitably decide to try and break up the local bandit hall in town or suddenly travel to the ethereal plane or something where I'll be scrambling to throw new creatures into the mix. If I can just reach into my bag of tokens, grab the appropriate ones without worrying about what size they are, then I can adjust to the players as they go different directions than I anticipated.

Speaking of preparation though, there are many tokens that I've picked up and would like to standardize. Is there any walk-through's on how to create tokens and/or how to resize existing ones? If it's not too difficult, i can just take all my tokens and make different bags for each size map that I may use.

Moon Wizard
October 26th, 2010, 15:49
Stonewyvern,

You should only need to standardize token sizes between the tokens themselves. The map-to-token scale can be set per map using the Set Token Scale menu item.

That's where I was mentioning that my tokens are all set up to be the right size for the kind of creature they represent (53x53 = Small, 70x70 = Medium, 140x140=Large, ...) I've seen other people also use 50x50 for their Medium tokens.

Regards,
JPG

Stonewyvern
October 26th, 2010, 17:24
Stonewyvern,

You should only need to standardize token sizes between the tokens themselves. The map-to-token scale can be set per map using the Set Token Scale menu item.

That's where I was mentioning that my tokens are all set up to be the right size for the kind of creature they represent (53x53 = Small, 70x70 = Medium, 140x140=Large, ...) I've seen other people also use 50x50 for their Medium tokens.

Regards,
JPG

Ok, bear with me. I'm sure what you are saying makes sense, but my own inexperience with the program is the problem.

Now, I understand that if all my tokens are standardized, then theoretically they would be fine with each other. However, if my map is not set according to the same standards, then they won't work. You mention using the "Set Token Scale Menu Item" to fix that, but I'm not sure what that is. Is that something that can be modified while in game or does it require being set prior to starting the session? Again, my goal is to allow me to pull tokens out and react to the players while in session for those times that I can't plan ahead. :)

Thanks for helping and having patience with my inexperience.

Moon Wizard
October 26th, 2010, 17:44
Yes, you can set the Token Scale for each map prior to the session.

* Open your map
* Set the grid to your desired grid size. (use right click menu on image to enable grid)
* Drop a Medium-sized token on the map.
* Zoom the map using your mouse wheel until the medium token fits within your 1 grid square.
* Right-click on the token, and select the Lock Token Scale option.

Technically, you don't need to set the grid first, but it makes sense if you are going to be using a grid during the game.

The grid and the token scale settings are saved between sessions for each map.

It will be easier to understand when you are sitting down and doing it.

Also, you might want to review the 4E manual on GM images:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/gm_images.xcp
Make sure to click through each subsection in the left hand menu.

Regards,
JPG

RosenMcStern
October 26th, 2010, 22:27
It is worth noting that other VTTs allow you to scale each individual token. I had the same trouble during my last game, as I used some stuff from rpgmapshare and it was not the correct scale, but I could not scale everything correctly as the tokens were not of the exact same size.

If the purpose is to allow on-the-fly addition of tokens, you need individual token scaling.

Moon Wizard
October 27th, 2010, 01:56
Individual token scaling has been supported for some time, through the combat tracker link mentioned previously.

In the latest version of FG, we added support for individual token scaling directly on the map. However, each ruleset needs to implement the interface to get it to work.

Cheers,
JPG