PDA

View Full Version : FGII used for Board Games?

Stonewyvern
October 25th, 2010, 21:33
I was just thinking of the capabilities and realized that this is not only useful for RPG's, but also could be used for board games such as chess or even Monopoly and Tabletop Tactical games such as Warhammer or the old Starfleet Battles. Has anyone tried to run something like this or provided anything for that use? Thanks!

Moon Wizard
October 25th, 2010, 22:23
This is something that I am very interested in as well.

The primary stumbling block is that the graphics for board and card games are not public domain material. This isn't a problem for public domain games, such as checkers, chess, etc.; but is an issue for other board games. Of course, you can always provide your own graphics to get around this.

I just haven't had the time to work on anything like this. Too many RPG and FG client requests queued up.

Cheers,
JPG

Stonewyvern
October 26th, 2010, 00:12
This is something that I am very interested in as well.

The primary stumbling block is that the graphics for board and card games are not public domain material. This isn't a problem for public domain games, such as checkers, chess, etc.; but is an issue for other board games. Of course, you can always provide your own graphics to get around this.

I just haven't had the time to work on anything like this. Too many RPG and FG client requests queued up.

Cheers,
JPG

I do understand the limitations that would be in place if we used certain games, but I'm interested in putting together a game based on the Star Trek Klin'zha board and pieces.

So, I might be interested in doing this, but would have to learn how to put it together. I'm assuming you have to bundle everything up in some sort of package as opposed to just dropping a .jpg in a folder somewhere, right? Any "how-to" threads showing what it takes to build a module or ruleset? I assume for Chess you could use any ruleset since it is just a Board Graphic and pieces Graphics and each player monitors the rules. However for tactical games, such as the old Avalon Hill games (Which might be public domain now?) I assume that would require some dice rolling and effects on the pieces.

GunnarGreybeard
October 26th, 2010, 02:07
There is already a pretty good tool for something like this, VASSAL (https://www.vassalengine.org/). I have used it for games like Wooden Ships and Iron Men and Advanced Squad Leader for years. It might fit the need you are looking for.

Leonal
October 26th, 2010, 02:28
There is already a pretty good tool for something like this, VASSAL (https://www.vassalengine.org/). I have used it for games like Wooden Ships and Iron Men and Advanced Squad Leader for years. It might fit the need you are looking for.

I agree. I've only used it for Warhammer 40K, but it's great.

Stonewyvern
October 26th, 2010, 06:28
That's exactly what I wanted for that. In fact, I was surprised by how they've improved it. I tried it years ago and couldn't get it working well, but now I'll give it another shot. :)

Thanks!

Valarian
October 26th, 2010, 08:25
Battlegrounds is another good tool for map based games and board games.

Doswelk
October 26th, 2010, 11:25
Snickle created an excellent Risk ruleset for FG1 we spent quit a bit of time playing that.

Phystus
October 28th, 2010, 03:26
I've actually played a game of Star Fleet Battles using FG. I just created a new campaign. The ruleset doesn't matter much, I think I used D20_JPG. I added images for the ship diagrams and energy allocation sheets to the campaign, as well as a blank hex map and tokens. I just scanned actual tokens (just the ones we were going to use, plus drones and such), but I also created some very small square number tokens (15 pixel square). The number tokens were the key.

To play we just each opened a copy of the allocation sheets and SSD's, and I shared the map. The tokens were in the shared folder so we could both get to them. As the GM I had to minimize the player's energy allocation form to play fair, but that was no big deal. To fill out the forms we just used the number tokens (it was a lot easier to read than trying to write with the draw feature). Moving the map tokens was just like any other game. Although the tokens in FG rotate in 1/8 turns instead of 1/6, it was still easy to figure out which way a counter was facing.

We did use VOIP as well. Overall it went OK, but slow. I'd be inclined to try out Vassal or Zuntzu the next time.

~P

Blue Haven
October 29th, 2010, 14:34
Well if you can make some good tokens you can play Warhammer Fantasy Battles and 40K very good on FG i use some of the Wotc maps for their minis and voila :) its not the same as playing it live but you can always train your tactics ;)

Stonewyvern
October 29th, 2010, 16:33
Well if you can make some good tokens you can play Warhammer Fantasy Battles and 40K very good on FG i use some of the Wotc maps for their minis and voila :) its not the same as playing it live but you can always train your tactics ;)

Would probably work real well with Mordheim and/or Nekromunda...