PDA

View Full Version : Question: Token Size & Radius Templates?

Stonewyvern
October 25th, 2010, 17:04
Just picked up the program and looking forward to really learning how to use it. As a military gamer, the worst thing is when you (or your players) move away and the entire campaign falls apart. Hopefully this will keep that from happening.

Anyhow, I have two questions (for now...) that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1. Token size on a map
When I drop a token on a map, inevitably its the wrong size in comparison to the map. Now, if it is one token, I can zoom in or out till the token is appropriately sized and then lock it down. However, the problem is when I am trying to use multiple tokens. I can lock the first one down, but the others aren't and I can't seem to adjust all of them appropriately and THEN lock. So, the question is, how do I ensure my tokens are the appropriate size for my map? For example, a map might be 50x50 but the token I want isn't. Do I have to redo any maps or tokens ahead of time to be compatible? I'm really hoping there is some way to do this on the fly within the game in case I need a Token that I didn't plan for prior.

2. Spell Radius template
I haven't quite learned how you can just choose a spell, position it on the map and it "goes off" affecting those players/monsters under it. Now, if I understand correctly, pretty much only DND 4E has been coded with the more advanced the "auto damage" capability which is fine.

However, I really like the BRP rules and hope to play that. I was hoping there was some sort of in game template that I could use to show area effects and could adjust as needed. For example, be able to choose a circle and then put in the radius (30 meters, for example) and then drop it on the map so the players (and I) could see exactly what falls under that effect such as a sleep spell or fireball. Is there anything like that or does anyone have any Tricks they use to show this?

Thanks!

Moon Wizard
October 25th, 2010, 18:14
Welcome to Fantasy Grounds.

Let me take a stab at your questions, and others can pitch in if they have ideas too.

1. There are two scaling factors for tokens. One is a map-to-token scaling factor for all tokens, and the other is an individual token scaling factor.

The map-to-token scaling factor controls the pixel-to pixel ratio between the map and all tokens. By default, the scaling factor adjusts to retain 1-to-1 for tokens, regardless of map zoom. By right-clicking on a token and selecting Lock Token Scale, you can lock the scaling factor to the current scaling level.

The individual token scaling factor controls the pixel ratio between map-to-token scaling factor, and the individual token. In most rulesets, this can only be changed via mouse wheel on the combat tracker token field. In the 4E ruleset, you can change on the map by using CTRL + mouse wheel while hovering over a token.

Here is how I do it in my game.
* Open a new map.
* Set the grid.
* Drop a Medium size token on the map.
* Zoom the map until the Medium token fits inside of one grid square.
* Right click the token, and select Lock Token Scale.

Also, all of my tokens are pre-sized to be the same size. (i.e. Small = 53x53, Medium = 70x70, Large = 140x140, etc.) All the token packs that we sell through the FG store are set up this way.

2. You can draw pointers on the map in order to show area effects to the GM and other players. More info here under the Pointers subsection:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/player_images.xcp

Cheers,
JPG

Stonewyvern
October 25th, 2010, 18:25
Being as how I'm at work at the moment, I'll have to see if I understood your directions once I get home.

I do plan on trying to make sure I use compatible tokens and maps ahead of time just to be safe, but sometimes there are maps or tokens I want to use that just aren't the right size.

As for your instructions to open a map, and then zoom till your token fits in the grid is great for one token, but if you have multiple tokens of different sizes, it doesn't work since all the other tokens don't adjust like the one you are focused on. :(

However, your instruction of hovering over a token and using CTRL+Mouse Wheel, does that adjust the size of individual tokens where I can THEN lock them down after I have all my tokens to the same size? If so, that's perfect.

Lastly for the spell effect radius, I know I can draw the AOE on the map, but I was really hoping there was some sort of tool where I can just click a circle, input the radius (ie., 50 meters) and then drop it on the map. If there isn't, I may try to make some tokens or something which could be dropped on the map for various sized effects. (ie., 10, 20, 30, etc... meter 'fire' circle, cold circle, etc...)

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to hearing from any other experienced DM's as to what they do.

Moon Wizard
October 25th, 2010, 19:31
Just to clarify, the "Lock Token Scale" menu option is for the scaling of all tokens on that map, while the individual mouse wheel scaling is for per-token scaling. The individual scaling is for those situations where you didn't have time to resize the token in advance.

For the spell effect pointers. In most rulesets, there is a number that appears next to the pointer that should indicate the length or radius of the pointer in the units of that ruleset. If you hover over the pointer, you will see 2 small boxes. The box near the start position will allow you to move the pointer on the map, while the second box near the end position will allow you to increase/decrease the size of the pointer. In my games, I just quickly draw the pointer, and then adjust if I didn't get it exactly right for size. I use the numbers next to the pointer to make sure I get the right final size for my game.

Cheers,
JPG

Stonewyvern
October 25th, 2010, 20:24
Just to clarify, the "Lock Token Scale" menu option is for the scaling of all tokens on that map, while the individual mouse wheel scaling is for per-token scaling. The individual scaling is for those situations where you didn't have time to resize the token in advance.
Exactly what I needed!! Unfortunately it works in DnD 4E, but not in BRP. :( Maybe there is a different key or something I need to activate to make it work in BRP?

For the spell effect pointers. In most rulesets, there is a number that appears next to the pointer that should indicate the length or radius of the pointer in the units of that ruleset. If you hover over the pointer, you will see 2 small boxes. The box near the start position will allow you to move the pointer on the map, while the second box near the end position will allow you to increase/decrease the size of the pointer. In my games, I just quickly draw the pointer, and then adjust if I didn't get it exactly right for size. I use the numbers next to the pointer to make sure I get the right final size for my game.

Cheers,
JPG

Exactly what I needed. While I would love to have something like dragging the spell over and automatically figure out who is hit and where the AOE is, I can live with the ability to draw a circle as big as I need. :)

Now, if I can just find an answer to the BRP token resizing issue....

Moon Wizard
October 25th, 2010, 22:27
The individual token resizing may be supported through the combat tracker. This method was supported in the original d20 ruleset, which was the basis for many of the community rulesets.

Try these steps:
* Open the combat tracker.
* Create a combat tracker entry (either drop PC/NPC or right click to create).
* Drag a token to the token field in the new entry.
* Open a map.
* Drag the token from the combat tracker entry to the map.
* Use the mouse wheel on the token field in the combat tracker entry.

If that doesn't work, then the ruleset would have to be updated by someone in the community to use the new capabilities.

Cheers,
JPG

Stonewyvern
October 25th, 2010, 23:37
The individual token resizing may be supported through the combat tracker. This method was supported in the original d20 ruleset, which was the basis for many of the community rulesets.

Try these steps:
* Open the combat tracker.
* Create a combat tracker entry (either drop PC/NPC or right click to create).
* Drag a token to the token field in the new entry.
* Open a map.
* Drag the token from the combat tracker entry to the map.
* Use the mouse wheel on the token field in the combat tracker entry.

If that doesn't work, then the ruleset would have to be updated by someone in the community to use the new capabilities.

Cheers,
JPG

So close... It sort of works, but not completely.

I dropped it in and I was able to modify the size by CTRL+MouseWheel, but not enough. If the map was full sized, it would still cover about 4x4 squares. If I zoomed in to make it fit in one square, there wasn't any way to "lock it" to that size so if I zoomed out to see the full map, it grew large again. :(

Unfortunately I really want to use BRP, but if I can't get the icons to fit right, I don't know if I'll be able to without redoing all the icons first which of course makes it difficult to run a game off the cuff.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully there is someone else who has shown how to fix this issue...

Griogre
October 27th, 2010, 22:28
Honestly, you should make all your tokens scaled the same ie every medium sized token is the same scale and all smaller and larger tokens should be scaled appropriate to the medium tokens. This will save you endless amount of hassle.

As far as spontaneous games, needing monster tokens you may not have - just make some generic ones in different sizes.

Stonewyvern
October 27th, 2010, 22:42
Honestly, you should make all your tokens scaled the same ie every medium sized token is the same scale and all smaller and larger tokens should be scaled appropriate to the medium tokens. This will save you endless amount of hassle.

As far as spontaneous games, needing monster tokens you may not have - just make some generic ones in different sizes.

That's just it. I'm not making these tokens. I'm buying them from various places in the store. I'm hoping to be able to play the modules, but also pull the various maps and pictures to use in home brew modules and campaigns. Same with the tokens.

Moon Wizard
October 28th, 2010, 16:38
Based on your response two up, it doesn't sounds like you are selecting the "Lock Token Scale" menu item when right clicking on the token.

Regards,
JPG

Stonewyvern
October 28th, 2010, 23:05
Based on your response two up, it doesn't sounds like you are selecting the "Lock Token Scale" menu item when right clicking on the token.

Regards,
JPG

Not sure how you got that, but let me explain it step by step to see if perhaps I am mistaken.

1. Open map
2. Place token #1, which is size "X"
3. Place token #2, which is size "2X"
4. Both are to big for the maps squares. (#1=2x square/#2=4x squares)

Since I want them to both be the same size and fit in the map squares. My initial expectation is to either make the map square larger or token size smaller and then "lock" it to that size before then moving on to the next token.

So, I would like to be able to (as example) choose token #1. I enlarge the map (zoom in) till the token fits in the square. Now, using the above math, this means that Token #1 fits, but now Token #2 is 8x bigger than the square. Back to token #1, now that it fits, I right click and lock the scale down. However, this locks it for ALL tokens so now I can't do anything for token #2.

Ok, now that out of the way, I did try what you said about using the combat tracker. However, some tokens still weren't able to be adjusted down to equate the others. They still modified, however the size didn't flow in reasonable increments. It would jump from size to size where one was too small and the next one up was too big.

Again, we can adjust or use other tokens or something, but as I said, to help with "off the cuff" games, it would be nice if there was a more elegant method.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Callum
October 29th, 2010, 13:29
Presumably, token #2 would end up 2x bigger than the square?

But, if I'm reading you right, both these tokens represent the same size creature, even though their native size is different? If so, you should be able to adjust token #2's size using the combat tracker, after you've locked the token scale when token #1 is the right size.

But, really, your best bet in the long term would be to modify all your tokens outside FG so that they're the same native size.

Griogre
October 29th, 2010, 19:13
Like Callum says you will be better off in the long run if you make all your tokens their "native" size scaled properly to each other. It sounds like you have tokens from all over, in all different sizes. Just pick either the largest set or the one you like the best and scale the others to it.

To maintain flexibility I would suggest you have some generic tokens that are sized to each size your system uses. For example, while I have a thousand or so tokens scaled the same way, I also a few generic token sets where the same token is in three or four different sizes so I can use it for any size monster.

I'd suggest the first thing you do is make the two or three generic token sets and then over time add tokens of monsters scaled to match, first doing NPCs/monsters you know you are going to need.

Stonewyvern
October 30th, 2010, 00:28
Like Callum says you will be better off in the long run if you make all your tokens their "native" size scaled properly to each other. It sounds like you have tokens from all over, in all different sizes. Just pick either the largest set or the one you like the best and scale the others to it.

To maintain flexibility I would suggest you have some generic tokens that are sized to each size your system uses. For example, while I have a thousand or so tokens scaled the same way, I also a few generic token sets where the same token is in three or four different sizes so I can use it for any size monster.

I'd suggest the first thing you do is make the two or three generic token sets and then over time add tokens of monsters scaled to match, first doing NPCs/monsters you know you are going to need.

I'm thinking that would be the best way to do it too.

Is there any threads that show how to find the token files and how best to modify them?

Griogre
October 30th, 2010, 22:37
There are many token sets available, some free some not. One of the first decisions you need to make as to how large you want you medium tokens to be. This will in turn help determine on how large the grid on your map is and the file size of your maps.

Certain type tokens look better if they are bigger, generally those with transparency. Most tokens with transparency don't look good any smaller than 50x50 and look better larger.

Devin's Top Down Tokens fall in this category he has 20 or sets for free: https://www.immortalnights.com/tokensite/tokenpacks.html

Similar are the side view D&D Mini's tokens. There thread that contains a script to batch make these tokens from WotC's web site here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12165
The latest script is on the last page.

The other style of tokens are what are called portrait style and most do not have transparency. Their advantage is you can make a token out of just about any graphic you can find - and there are a lot of graphics on the Internet. These tokens usually look better at smaller scales than the top down and side view tokens. I like the Fiery Dragon Tokens and use them for my D&D games. They aren't free but you can see a sample of what they look like in this free pack for H1 Keep on the Shadowfell: https://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=56039

Smiteworks sells Fiery Dragon tokens for $8-10ish. If you find you like the art then it's probably a great time saver to buy a pack and the newer 4E stuff comes in different sizes: 32, 50 & 70 pixels. The older 3.5 DA stuff is all still 70 pixels, I think (but could easily be batch processed to smaller sizes with IrfanView). You can see the stuff in the store here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?sys=-1&pub=6&typ=-1&x=17&y=15&sort=1

There are tons of pictures available on the web for free though, it's really a question of whether you want to spend the time making your own. WotC's web sit is full of book art galleries, MapTool has a massive gallery and there are places like RPGShare.

With free tools like TokenTool ( https://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=tokentool ) Paint.NET ( https://www.getpaint.net/ ), IrfanView ( https://www.irfanview.com/ ), and the GIMP ( https://www.gimp.org/ ) its easy to make your own tokens.

I'd suggest you download and play around with each token type and see which one works best for you.