PDA

View Full Version : All powers get -5?

Maeth
October 19th, 2010, 02:38
This is irritating.
When I roll my players attacks they have no negatives.
When THEY roll they always gets a -5.

WTF is happening?

They roll for "1[W] + Strength Modifier damage" and get -5 on every result. This is really annoying as I was gonna play a game tonight!

Please help!

Maeth
October 19th, 2010, 02:50
I even tried loading in as a character myself. for some reason its only these 2 characters that have the problem.

Can I get a reply soon? the game is going on right now.

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2010, 03:03
Are there any effects on those characters in the combat tracker?
You can try deleting them from the combat tracker, and readding them, just to make sure.

Also, what does the modifier say on the roll? (-5), or [EFFECTS -5], [BLINDED] or nothing?

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2010, 03:05
For the attacker, the "Running", "Squeezing" and "Blinded" effects will cause a -5 to the attack roll.

For the defender, the "TCONC", "SCOVER" and "Invisible" effects will cause a +5 bonus to the defense that the attack roll is made against., and "Unconscious" effects will give a -5 penalty to the defense.

There are no other +/-5 modifiers built into the 4E ruleset.

Cheeers,
JPG

Maeth
October 19th, 2010, 06:33
As far as I can tell its a bug or something with the 'power card' thing. If you open the power with the little red and white icon and click/drag the attack or damage from there it will give the -5. No effects.

If you click/drag from the power menu edit screen it works just fine, no negative.

I have the 2.7.2 version. Not a huge deal after I figured that out but having the full character screen open takes up a lot of space.

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2010, 18:16
Ah, I found it. The power reference cards were not meant to be rolled from, since they can also refer to module data which has no character linked to them, and may be used by multiple characters.

In my game, they are all read-only, since the data is from a module; but if you entered the text directly, the cards are not completely locked down. The -5 modifier you are seeing is a roll with a 0 ability score and no modifiers.

To make power rolls, use the full or mini character sheets.

Regards,
JPG

Maeth
October 19th, 2010, 20:53
Handy to know. I thought I was doing something wrong for a bit.
I'm gonna have them make hotbar shortcuts for most of the rolls anyway so things will still go smoothly enough.
Thanks.

Moon Wizard
October 20th, 2010, 02:07
Just remember that you will need to update the shortcut keys when the characters level up. The rolls stored by the shortcut keys are static.

Cheers,
JPG