PDA

View Full Version : patch problems...

Shinmuriel
October 19th, 2010, 01:30
I just downloaded the latest patch and instructed my players to do so, after the patch they are getting a message saying they cannot connect because I am running an incompatible version of FG. Please help.

When i run the updater again i am getting a "Package file write error when updating desktop_templates.xml" on the last line before its done.

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2010, 01:54
* Can you run your Task Manager and make sure that another version of FG is not running?
* Have you renamed any of the PAK files?
* Are you editing any ruleset files in another editing program?

It sounds like some of the files are failing to update correctly. You can also try deleting all the PAK files from the FG2 application directory to download them from scratch. As a last resort, you can remove and reinstall FG, then update.

Regards,
JPG

Shinmuriel
October 19th, 2010, 02:06
Yea im getting a bunch of write errors. I restarted my pc so nothing is running, I haven't renamed any files and Im not using any editing programs. So i guess that leaves me with uninstalling and reinstalling the FG app. I hope this isn't a reoccurring ritual on patch day. (sad panda face)

I guess I back up campaign data first, that isn't going to cause an issue when I restore the backed up data after re installation?

Monkeyboy
October 19th, 2010, 02:09
had the same issue. had two players logged in, then one updated and couldn't so all updated. now no one can log in. re booted the machine and tried again. Still doesn't work.

Players got an incompatible version error message.

Then re downloaded and they just couldn't connect.

When you ask about did we edit rulesets, I can say I only did map size so they open larger.

Shinmuriel
October 19th, 2010, 02:21
Yup, I just reinstalled the entire FG app and ran the updater, same problem again.

Monkeyboy
October 19th, 2010, 02:33
actually, problem resolved. my mcafee had turned on its firewall at the last update and once that was turned off, worked fine.

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2010, 02:36
Can you try running the Fantasy Grounds Updater in the FG application folder as Administrator?

Also, check for same issue as Monkeyboy (firewalls on PC or router).

Thanks,
JPG

Shinmuriel
October 19th, 2010, 02:40
Hmm I moved FG out of program 86 in case of ULA issues on vista and that seemed to do the trick i think...

Shinmuriel
October 19th, 2010, 04:19
When i installed FG outside of program files 86 it updated and worked but the "start" button didn't light up after selecting the campaign. I could still double click the campaign to start it but that bugged me so i reinstalled FG in program 86 and ran the patcher in admin, same problem as before. =/

ddavison
October 19th, 2010, 04:54
How is your firewall configured? Is it set to allow all traffic on port 1802 or is it an exception for the FantasyGrounds.exe application?

Shinmuriel
October 19th, 2010, 06:02
I cleared a path to fantasy grounds II in the exceptions and thought that was all I needed to do. When I completely turned off my AVG antivirus the FG patcher worked fine and everything is OK now.

How do I clear a path to port 1802 and what does that do? What settings exactly should I tweak on my antivirus to make things work right?

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2010, 18:22
Most issues I've heard about are related to downloading files where the antivirus blocks the network connection, but your antivirus looks like it is also blocking local file editing.

Each antivirus software is going to be different in its settings. I would look for any settings that restrict/grant access to specific programs, and make sure the updater is enabled or not restricted.

Regards,
JPG

Crowley72
October 20th, 2010, 02:07
When my players log into my host, they get a string of:

Could not complete file transfer of file portrait_id-00001_token
(HTTP/1.1 404 NOT FOUND). Check your network configuration.

It has a seperate error for each portrait ID file. It was not doing this pre-patch. We play Tuesday evening (tonight), and just patched. It it now doing this.

How can this be fixed? Thank you.

Dershem
October 20th, 2010, 02:22
I am getting this too, on the Earthdawn Ruleset, and the Dresden Ruleset.

Leonal
October 20th, 2010, 02:22
It is quite common, and doesn't stop you from playing in any way afaik.
I believe it's just that it won't transfer tokens/portraits from characters that haven't logged on yet who are in the combat tracker, or something like that.
We just ignore it.

Sorry for the vague explanation. :)

Moon Wizard
October 20th, 2010, 18:07
In an effort to provide more information on any underlying network issues, v2.7.2 notifies the user when a network file transfer fails for any reason. In previous versions, the transfer would just fail silently.

Try re-setting the portrait tokens, and the combat tracker tokens for those characters. That should clear it up. If not, let me know.

Cheers,
JPG