PDA

View Full Version : 3.5E/OGL Summoned Monster Stats module now available

ddavison
October 17th, 2010, 03:40
Walter and Michelle Hoel put together a module with story entries and NPC entries for over 400 different summoned monsters. Multiple variants (fiendish, celestial and augmented) for each of the summoned monsters is provided, broken down by levels 1 through 9. Check it out in the store if you have any Druids, Clerics or Wizards that like to summon critters to the battlefield.

Leonal
October 17th, 2010, 03:48
Nice. (Now if someone were to edit it for Pathfinder too ;))

The description of Augment Summoning is slightly off by the way. It should give +4 to str/con. I assume it is correct in the module?

edit: unless the +2 refers to the modifier increase, but that's still a bit misleading.

Phystus
October 17th, 2010, 03:55
Yes, it's +2 to the modifiers, +4 to the stats. The monsters are accurate in that respect, it's just the text that's off. See what happens when I do stuff late at night? Hopefully Doug will fix it.

~Phystus (Walt)

Leonal
October 17th, 2010, 04:12
Thanks. :)

ddavison
October 17th, 2010, 08:42
Fixed the description.

Leonal
October 26th, 2010, 03:00
A job well done on the product, however I wish it was more player friendly.

At least in my games they handle their own summons.

I guess one could re-export the module as shared or client instead of host (or maybe just rename the db.xml?), but the GM would still have to share the summon sheet for them to access it.

edit: Having it the summons in the library would be a plus since the regular NPC overview is hidden from the players.

Callum
October 27th, 2010, 16:05
I've recently purchased this, and think it's great - thanks! However, on comparing the stats presented therein with those I'd already made myself for some summoned celestial creatures, I've noticed a few issues.

For celestial creatures:-

Int should be at least 3
Environment should be "Any good-aligned plane"
CR should increase by 1 when HD are 4-7, and by 2 when HD are 8+

The non-standard presentation of the resistances is a little confusing. I'd rather see "resistance to acid 5, cold 5, and electricity 5" or, to save space, "resistance to acid/cold/electricity 5". There are also various typos in the SQ (e.g. missing commas, misplaced slashes).

Finally, it would be nice to have the full text for smite evil added to the "Main" tab:-

Smite Evil (Su): Once per day a celestial creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (maximum of +20) against an evil foe.

Hopefully you might be able to produce an updated version?

Phystus
October 28th, 2010, 02:08
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into incorporating as many of them as possible in any future version.

Leonal,
You can share the monster by dragging the link from the monster onto the portrait of the caster. The DM will still have to drag the monster onto the combat tracker, and move the monster's token if they've locked the tokens on the map, but the player should be able to otherwise see the monster's stats and control it. That works in the D20_JPG ruleset at least, I haven't tested it with the others.

~P

Leonal
October 28th, 2010, 03:14
Phystus,
Ah I didn't know that, thanks.
I'd still prefer not having to manage that as a GM though.

Although we play Pathfinder, I wanted to see how your module was done if I were to edit/create one myself. For now I'll just continue to have my players reference the stats from www.d20pfsrd.com.

Callum
October 29th, 2010, 13:09
I've made a version where I've corrected all the easy-to-fix stuff (basically, the Int and the SQ) - let me know if you'd like a copy.

Melvin the Barbarian
November 14th, 2010, 00:14
I just purchased this module and I don't see any difference. What should I be seeing after I install this? When I click the 'books' icon in the top right, the book is there. I've tried it with all three icons (don't load, allow and force load), but when I click on the 'library' icon (right side of the screen) no new books appear in the library.

I've tried re-installing (as administrator), restarting the game and rebooting my computer. In the FG Data directory, there IS a folder labeled '3.5E OGL Summoned Monsters', but all it contains is uninst.exe.

What should I be looking for here?

screenshot:
https://picasaweb.google.com/woody.jesus/Screenshots#5539189407553993458

Leonal
November 14th, 2010, 00:27
Hi,

The module doesn't show in the library, but rather as story and NPC/personality tabs.

In the story section you'll find a "start here" entry, which will further link to either summon monster or nature's ally.

The NPC entries will have abbreviations added to their names to show whether they're celestial, fiendish and/or augmented with the augment summoning feat.

Happy Gaming!

edited for more friendliness :)

Melvin the Barbarian
November 14th, 2010, 02:40
Yep! There they are! Thanks for clearing that up

Dave
:)

miggluin
April 21st, 2014, 12:15
Hello community!

I seem to have a similar issue with the 3.5/OGL Summoned Monster Accessory I just bought. After installing it there is no such entry as "Start Here" in the Story section. Do I have to install FG in the specific folder under C:\ for the Summoned Monster Accessory installation program to implement it? Because I installed it on a different drive.

Thanks for your help!

Trenloe
April 21st, 2014, 16:20
I seem to have a similar issue with the 3.5/OGL Summoned Monster Accessory I just bought. After installing it there is no such entry as "Start Here" in the Story section. Do I have to install FG in the specific folder under C:\ for the Summoned Monster Accessory installation program to implement it? Because I installed it on a different drive.
Have you activated the module? Press the "Modules" button in the library screen and double-click on the specific module icon (You should see it as "Summoned Monsters V 1.0") to open the "book" icon in the module.

You should then see a green tab in the "Story" list - click this to see the "Start here" and other entries.

miggluin
April 21st, 2014, 17:15
There is no entry for "Summoned Monsters V 1.0" in the module list in my libraby. I tried to start a new D&D 3.5 Campaign but the problem persists there. Mhm :-/

Trenloe
April 21st, 2014, 17:29
Open up Fantasy Grounds (just on the first screen) and click on the folder icon (Open Data Folder) in the top right corner. This will open the Fantasy Grounds app data directory where FG stores all of its data. Open the "modules" folder and look for a file called "SULOGL1000FG2-Summoned-Monsters.mod". If it is here, restart FG and open a 3.5e campaign - the module should be able to be activated from the Library -> Modules screen (Module Activation).

If the file is not there, do a search on your hard drive for it and copy it to the <FG App Data Firectory>\modules folder - restart FG and see if you can activate it now.

miggluin
April 21st, 2014, 18:27
Mhm, the .mod file cannot be found on my hard drive. It seems, that the downloadable "SULOGL1000FG2-Summoned-Monsters.mod.exe" file does not create such a .mod file on my hard drive. Mhm. I downloaded the .exe again from the page but nothing changes.

Trenloe
April 21st, 2014, 21:09
Try running the installation as administrator - right-click on the installation file and select "Run As Administrator".

Once, complete search for the file again.

miggluin
April 23rd, 2014, 08:48
Doesn't work either :-/ I am kind of frustrated. Any other ideas?

Trenloe
April 23rd, 2014, 13:16
Doesn't work either :-/ I am kind of frustrated. Any other ideas?
Try this:

Press and hold the Windows key on your keyboard and hit the r key.
This brings up the "Run" dialog box. Type %appdata% and press return.
This will bring up your <username>\AppData\Roaming directory in Windows explorer. Look for a folder called "Fantasy Grounds II" and open it.
Open the "modules" directory and look for the "SULOGL1000FG2-Summoned-Monsters.mod" module file. You may see it as "SULOGL1000FG2-Summoned-Monsters" if windows is not displaying file extensions.
Copy this file to your FG App Data folder (opened by pressing the folder icon on the first screen of Fantasy Grounds).

miggluin
April 23rd, 2014, 16:00
Yeah, that worked and I actually found the module file. Thank you very much! Kind regards from Germany!