PDA

View Full Version : question about picture.

niku
October 15th, 2010, 10:28
okay so now im really confused. i got 2 pictures in fantasy grounds that are the exact same size in photoshop. same resolution etcetc. but in the game one shows up really zoomed in and looks big and bad and the other looks the correct size? whats going on with pictures and FG?

another note. the program is either automatically resizing pics or it degrades them as the def look way worse in fg than in ps.

any help here would be appreciated.

im noticing that one has the magnifying glass in the upper right? means im zoomed in im guessing? how do i fix that? also even with a fix this is only fixing problem 1.

edit: okay its def because im zoomed in but idk how to zoome out (rolling only lets me zoom out so far) and the box for the image is huge too WTF?

edit 2: figured out that CTR lets you resize windows. anyway to reset pics to default window size? ie the size of the actual image?

edit 3: figured out why i was permenently zoomed in. i guess, unless someone can tell me otherwise, FG doesn't like pictures with an odd number for its pixel size. for example. my pic looked really bad at 400 x 353 but as soon as i changed it to 400 x 354 it wasn't always zoomed in. to reset pictures i can just change the file names. now, having figured out all of my own problems. im stuck at why my pictures, not zoomed in, still look worse in fg then they do in windows photo viewer of fg. line quality is just bad by comparison.

Sorcerer
October 15th, 2010, 10:48
I think the first thing to say is that FGII does not change the resolution of any pictures. So if anything is happening it is a zooming effect. (which by your edit I think you already know)

FGII has a minimum picture size of 200x200 so if your picture is smaller than that it it will zoom in to make the picture fill that space.

FGII should also remember the last configuration of the of the image, but I have found that it sometimes seems to forget and return to thatever it first had.

The best way to clear all this is to close FGII delete the files in the cache folder which should be inside the campaign folder. This should force FG to change return to the default value of the image.

If your images are smaller than 200x200. They will always zoom in so it is best to use photoshop to paste the image on a 200x200 white background to avoid this.

niku
October 15th, 2010, 10:50
hey thanks a bunch for the replies. any idea why a pic would have lower quality in fg not zoomed in as opposed to photo viewer of ps?

its small 400x400 or something.

Example
https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h104/niku13/strange.jpg

same pic in ps vs in fantasy grounds loaded default. haven't re sized or zoomed or anything in fg.

edit: think i might have figured it out. a picture of that size 400 x 400 or whatever is just not suitable for FG. what you said got me thinking so i took the pic and made it huge through it in made the window smaller and it produced a better looking pic. but you have to manually make the window smaller. . . . . so i wont be able to get the windows to appear the same size as each other but its a temp fix, so long as they appear how i re sized them on the player end it should be fine.

TLDR - bigger pics work

Edit 2: so bigger pics work but when you share a pic it matches your zoom and box size for the player but not the position............so if you want to share a pic of someone and not have it just be huge on their screen you have to either make it smaller, and have it look bad, or make it bigger and make them resize it themselves.

StuartW
October 15th, 2010, 11:12
The two pictures in your screen shot are not the same size, so some zooming/scaling needs to be performed by FG. I don't think FG is optimised for image scaling (Moon_Wizard might be able to confirm) in which case you won't get a pretty result unless the image is shown at exactly 100%.

BTW, I've noticed some strange behaviour when you delete one image and add a new one - it seems to reuse the image 'slot' which means that any zoom on the old image will be carried over to the new image. Because of this, two copies of the exact same picture may render differently.

I'm not sure if you can easily reset the zoom for an image (I don't recall there being a radial menu to do this) so it can be a bit frustrating when your pictures don't display very well.

Stuart

niku
October 15th, 2010, 11:18
The two pictures in your screen shot are not the same size, so some zooming/scaling needs to be performed by FG. I don't think FG is optimised for image scaling (Moon_Wizard might be able to confirm) in which case you won't get a pretty result unless the image is shown at exactly 100%.

BTW, I've noticed some strange behaviour when you delete one image and add a new one - it seems to reuse the image 'slot' which means that any zoom on the old image will be carried over to the new image. Because of this, two copies of the exact same picture may render differently.

I'm not sure if you can easily reset the zoom for an image (I don't recall there being a radial menu to do this) so it can be a bit frustrating when your pictures don't display very well.

Stuart

lol you just answered my next question. i tried the whole changing the name of my pic thing and it appears to have resized the pic to the size of another. very frustrating. ya and those two pics dont look the same size do they? i think FG is resizing pictures. i wish it wouldn't. does anyone know how to delete the cache files or whatever? im not seeing any files in the cache folder and their is no cache folder under my campaign.

sigh...i wish this program was a little more optimized for this kind of stuff.

edit: i also couldn't reproduce the problem with being permanently zoomed. my pics just started doing it again and even number wont fix it....idk.

StuartW
October 15th, 2010, 12:34
Try backing up the campaign registry file (just in case!) and then deleting it from your campaign directory. Depending on the ruleset, image info can be stored in the registry.

Stuart

Griogre
October 15th, 2010, 20:07
What ruleset are you using? The reason some stuff is zoomed and not zoomed is some rulesets keep track of the image settings by file name. Thus if you put in a map called Level 1 in the campaign's image folder then resize it and drop it back in the image folder, the campaign's xml will still have the image settings of the first pic. FG assumes the pic you drop in is the "final" version. If this is the case just open your campaign's db.xml file and search on the file name then delete all the image's info inside the db.xml file. FG will rebuild the image data the next time the campaign is loaded (back up before you do this if you are not familiar with the structure of your ruleset's db.xml file).

Like StuartW said too, some rulesets keep window settings in the campaign registry file or even in the registry. It doesn't hurt to delete the CampaignRegistery.lua file.