PDA

View Full Version : Installing to a USB

astrozombie
October 14th, 2010, 19:14
Hi, I'm new to Fantasy Grounds (and the forums). Last night I purchased the Call of Cthulhu ruleset, which installs through an msi. Unfortunately, it does not give you the option of installing it to your own specified directory, instead it automatically places it in c:/program files/
My issue with this is that I do not have administrative privileges on certain computers that I want to play the game on (i.e. work computer), so I want to install it to a USB. I did this with the Fantasy Grounds core game, and it runs wonderfully off of the USB. Any way I could install the CoC ruleset to a usb?

Sorcerer
October 14th, 2010, 19:33
Hi the only part of CoC that installs in program files is the logo and the license text. I'm not sure why they had to do that.

The ruleset itself is installed where all the other rulesets are (except the inbuilt 4E and 3.5E rulesets).

which is in the data folder

In Windows Vista/windows 7 that's:
C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\

In Windows XP that's:
C:\documents and settings\<USER>\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\

this is actually where the bulk of the files for FGII are.

So you may find that what you have on the USB will not actually run properly if you try to use it on another computer.

astrozombie
October 14th, 2010, 19:45
Thank you for your quick reply. I believe non administrators can access appdata, so in theory I could just copy over the files to each computer's appdata folder. I'll be testing over the next hour or so and report my findings

EDIT: Looks like it works completely if you just add the folder to application data/appdata. The only thing that doesn't seem to be working is the extensions for CoC (such as 1890's, etc.) but the default CoC works just fine!

Valarian
October 14th, 2010, 21:20
The extensions should be in the extensions folder under the application data directory

StuartW
October 15th, 2010, 10:45
Perhaps a little tangential, but I don't think the licences (FG or CoC) permit you to install on multiple machines, even for the same user, without buying multiple copies.

If that's the case, this is probably an inappropriate topic.

Stuart

Sorcerer
October 15th, 2010, 10:55
tangential or not you are perfectly correct.

I should have spotted that one up front

sorry Stuart

astrozombie
October 15th, 2010, 17:02
I haven't had an issue with it?

edit: and technically it's only INSTALLING it on one machine, the USB drive.
Also, if I'm using the same license, then there is no harm. You can't play with people with the same license as yours, right (i assume, since that's the whole POINT of DRM)? so the "worst" i could be doing with multiple machine installs is (oh no!) playing it on one at a time, offline mode only! Oh jeez!