PDA

View Full Version : Question about 4e item creation

Jundle
October 14th, 2010, 18:22
I would like to make some weapons and items in my 4e campaign and I was wondering where to put some of the stats.

I'm looking in ph1 on page 218 and want to input "Maul"

I know where to put the weapon name, the prof. stat, the damage, the range, the price, and the weight.

I assume that the group and properties stats from the ph1 book go into the group and properties entry areas in FG2. (or does Group from the PH1 go into the "Subclass" in FG2?)

Where do I put the fact that the maul is:
1: Melee Weapon
2: Simple Melee Weapon
3: One-Handed

Griogre
October 14th, 2010, 23:00
Do you mean in the XML or in the New Item inside of FG?

In the XML of the PH:

<root version="2.0">
<weapon>
<maul>
<name type="string">Maul</name>
<type type="string">Melee</type>
<prof type="string">Military</prof>
<heft type="string">Two-Handed</heft>
<profbonus type="number">+2</profbonus>
<damage type="string">2d6</damage>
<range type="number">0</range>
<cost type="number">30</cost>
<weight type="number">12</weight>
<group type="string">Hammer</group>
<properties type="string">—</properties>
<description type="formattedtext"></description>
</maul>

</weapon>
</root>

If you are just inputing maul as part of a magic item say a +1 weapon it would look something like this and you don't have to worry about the categories:

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/Maul.png

Jundle
October 14th, 2010, 23:07
Just to be clear:

If I'm inputting a new item into FG2 via the new item gui inside the program, there is no place that is specifically made to receive these bits of data:

1: Melee Weapon
2: Simple Melee Weapon
3: One-Handed

I'm not saying that that is bad, I just want to be certain (my pre-supposition being that a character using one of my "hand made" items will have the gui call on certain fields of the "item" for dice rolls, and I want to be as accurate as possible).

Griogre
October 14th, 2010, 23:31
That's true because at the character sheet level it isn't important. If you put it in by hand you can put in anything you want. If you just want a normal maul then you just input the maul's stats on the Combat tab.

The character sheet in many respects, is just like a paper one. You can write what you want on the paper. The character sheet doesn't check if you are following the rules.

Those categories are used for displaying the Maul in the right place in weapon's table in the library. IE in the Military Melee Weapons, Two Handed list (the Maul in 4E is a military, 2 handed weapon).

Jundle
October 15th, 2010, 17:01
One more question, this time about range.

It seems when I put a range number into the "Range" field, it only allows, for lack of a better term, 1 range (instead of 2 ranges).

Is there a way to put in both a weapons normal range *and* long range stat into the same "Range" field in an item (weapon)?

(I am refencing this via creating the item directly from the FG2 gui).

Griogre
October 15th, 2010, 19:06
One more question, this time about range.

It seems when I put a range number into the "Range" field, it only allows, for lack of a better term, 1 range (instead of 2 ranges).
Yeah, put the 1st range number in there. Ranges are strickly informational.

Is there a way to put in both a weapons normal range *and* long range stat into the same "Range" field in an item (weapon)? No, not the way that field is set up. All max ranges are double the normal ranges though.

Also when entering a weapon manually, make sure if it is a range weapon that is dex based you click the icon between the name a range so it shows arrows. This tells FG it is a dex based weapon and to use the Range basic. The Axe tells FG it's a strength based weapon and to use the Melee basic. You should also make sure you have the axe selected for heavy thrown weapons which use strength instead of dex.

Jundle
October 15th, 2010, 20:33
click the icon between the name a range so it shows arrows

I can't find this (sorry). Could you be more specific?

Griogre
October 15th, 2010, 21:21
That's a typo should be between the name and range so it shows arrows...

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/MeleeRangeIcon.png

Here's a dagger set up to be thrown or used in melee.