PDA

View Full Version : Big change to the compendium interface

adminwheel3
October 12th, 2010, 19:47
At work currently, but I'm wondering if this is going to blow up the 4e parser?

PublicJohnDoe
October 13th, 2010, 06:51
I had the same thought - I don't have a DDI account at the moment... waiting till someone confirms if it works before renewing ;)

Fot5
October 13th, 2010, 14:15
I rescraped the data for Arcane Power and reparsed it. The data is slightly different in formatting (added /r at the end of most powers), but the module is fine. After a quick look, I see no difference between the module produced using recent data and the one produced using data that I scraped this morning.

EugeneZ
October 13th, 2010, 23:45
According to Tenian, the ASP didn't change so everything should be fine.

zapoqx
October 15th, 2010, 02:56
Well now that we know that... the only other thing I'd want to know is how the parser will handle the Essentials stuff... especially since looking at the essentials classes seem to be a bit busted in terms of placement. Still don't have the book yet to see how its supposed to be lined up.

Griogre
October 15th, 2010, 08:02
Some of the essentials classes are very "non standard" and while I like them they do have things at odd levels, IE a level 1 cleric utility. They are also now calling what use to be class abilities level-less attack and utility powers.

tdewitt274
October 15th, 2010, 13:43
The Wizard and Cleric are essentially (no pun intended) the same.

The Fighter and Rogue are slightly changed. Encounter powers are still the same, just no choices as you go up in level. There are no daily powers. Also, there are no At-Will powers (replaced with Grab, Bull Rush, Basic Melee, and Basic Ranged). Encounter Powers, if I remember correctly, get less at higher levels (by 1 or 2).

Fighters get "Stances" to replace the At-Wills. These are Minor Utility actions used to add to the basic At-Wills (see above). Mostly focused on dealing addtional damage.

Rogues get "Rogue Tricks" that replace the At-Wills. These are Move Utiliities actions used to add to the basic At-Wills (again, above). Mostly focused on moving to reposition and avoid.

The stances and tricks basically remove the "flair", additional damage or movement, of the original At-Will attacks and take an extra action to "combine" them with a basic attack. The way I understand it, you could actually use a Stace/Trick in combination with an Encounter power as well.

For the most part, nothing has changed except to give the illusion that Clerics and Wizards have "untapped power that can only be used once a day" (getting rid of the "everyone has a spellbook" perception). However, I haven't played the new Fighter or Rogue that, IMHO, seem to just be damage dealers with no flavor (please, no flame wars).

Back to FG, I don't think it will be a problem. You'll still have the same type of setups, you'll just have to use two powers (Fighters and Rogues) when you attack.

EugeneZ
October 15th, 2010, 23:29
Well now that we know that... the only other thing I'd want to know is how the parser will handle the Essentials stuff.

Every time a new book comes out Tenian slaves over the parser like a man driven by some obscure god of madness and toil. I am completely sure that after the Compendium is updated he will update the Parser to handle the data in the best way he can.

tpkurilla
October 16th, 2010, 02:57
Another *huge* change, is that Backgrounds are now available!

Hopefully the scraper and parser will be able to handle these. :)

-Thomas

zapoqx
October 16th, 2010, 21:47
Thanks EugeneZ for mentioning his style :P
In all seriousness, tdewitt274, I didn't check the thief (rogue) and fighters too much in the compendium, mostly because the class levels is a bit screwed up right now in display. They could be good or bad... I've come to the conclusion back on the previews that the Mage (wizard) would be fun to try although slightly breaking in mechanics (like the pyromancer add-on from Dragon Magazine makes them a harsh damage dealing controllers that cannot be stopped by fire resistance) and the war priest (cleric) seems like it would be slightly more fun to play than a 4E Cleric.
When they brought out the Assassin Essentials playtest, it looked alot more fun to play than the 4E Assassin. I already thought of being such a screwed up assassin with that essentials class version.
But that is my opinion. I don't think this would start a flame war though. As said, they could be interesting, but they might not be. Though the fighter and rogue essentials seemed like something I wouldn't play because it seemed too basic, but wonderful for a starter.