PDA

View Full Version : Is beta testing for Ultimate License software?

DualQuad
October 11th, 2010, 18:04
Well, I started a couple threads about issues I have seen using the Ultimate License software as a DM and having players use the "ultimate" version of client (i.e. free, using checkbox at install). The errors seem to be stemming from incompatibilities between client and server versions, which for Ultimate Licenses, didn't seem appropriate.

The upper posts about Beta Testing, mentions lite and full licenses and is also dated from 18 months ago. I like testing and helping when I can, but at this point want to make sure that I am testing a supported configuration for beta.

Should an Ultimate License be using the Beta Software if all clients that attach are Ultimate Clients?

DQ

Griogre
October 11th, 2010, 22:09
I'm going to assume the last sentence is a typo:

Should an Ultimate License be using the Beta Software if all clients that attach are Ultimate Clients?
And instead assume you were asking:
Should an Ultimate License be using the Beta Software if all clients that attach are Unregistered Clients?

Since unregistered versions can't be upgraded to beta versions, the ultimate version can't do any beta testing with those versions (though it could do beta testing with any other version of FG). As most people with the ultimate version have most of their players using unregistered versions that would make it impossible to test with those players.

So in answer to your question, no - if you have the ultimate version you should not be doing group beta testing with anyone using the unregistered version because of the version differences since the server and clients having different versions is not a supported configuration, period - yet alone for beta testing.

If that last sentence quoted above was not a typo, however an Ultimate license updated to a beta could connect to another Ultimate, Full or Lite version also updated to the same beta version.

DualQuad
October 11th, 2010, 22:41
Griogre,
Thanks for the input, all clients are indeed Unregistered and not Ultimate.
So ends my beta testing days.

Thanks,
DQ

Sigurd
October 11th, 2010, 22:49
Well you've made that bit of confusion clear for me! :D

The beta and developer version of the program are relatively new developments around her - mostly the brainchild of the renewed Smiteworks renewed dedication to the program.

I don't think the program can ever have enough careful constructive critique. At some stage they'll need to update the unregistered clients and that will be a natural point for contributing something. Besides its not just the beta that is worth commenting on...

Do you know that I don't have a /Sigurd slash command that will make me roll better?!?! :bandit:

Doswelk
October 11th, 2010, 23:58
Since unregistered versions can't be upgraded to beta versions, the ultimate version can't do any beta testing with those versions (though it could do beta testing with any other version of FG). As most people with the ultimate version have most of their players using unregistered versions that would make it impossible to test with those players.

Hmm, now I am confused.

On Saturday I had forgotten to downgrade from 2.7.x to 2.6.5, before I had people connect to me.

The unregistered users connected without issue, but the two licensed 2.6.5 version could not connect.

I got everybody out and downgraded back to release and all was fine of course.

Griogre
October 12th, 2010, 04:48
Doswelk, I don't have an Ultimate license so this is only a guess, but from what you said I think part of the problem is the unregistered clients *don't* do version checking before they connect with their ultimate host, hence they will connect to any version the ultimate server runs which is not a good thing if the ultimate is running a non release version.

VenomousFiligree
October 12th, 2010, 19:49
Doswelk, I don't have an Ultimate license so this is only a guess, but from what you said I think part of the problem is the unregistered clients *don't* do version checking before they connect with their ultimate host, hence they will connect to any version the ultimate server runs which is not a good thing if the ultimate is running a non release version.
I believe this is true. I recently went Mac and installed FG and for some reason without me knowing I went to 2.7. I then hosted a session where 2 unlicensed players connected without a problem, but a regular play (at 2.6) couldn't connect. It wasn't until later that we sorted the problem out and I went back to 2.6. The next session everyone connected fine including the unlicensed players.

Aristotle
October 16th, 2010, 04:28
Ouch. I literally found this thread while running a search for the info on upgrading my Full client to Ultimate. Now I'm stuck. 2.7.x is great. I don't know that I want to wait for it, but I already told the three players that I'm bringing into digital gaming with me that they won't have any initial cost.

I guess I'll just grab registered lite clients for them and stick with my full license for now. It'll actually cost me less, but I would have preferred the more versatile license for myself rather than just buying software for the guys.

Doswelk
October 16th, 2010, 09:20
Ouch. I literally found this thread while running a search for the info on upgrading my Full client to Ultimate. Now I'm stuck. 2.7.x is great. I don't know that I want to wait for it, but I already told the three players that I'm bringing into digital gaming with me that they won't have any initial cost.

I guess I'll just grab registered lite clients for them and stick with my full license for now. It'll actually cost me less, but I would have preferred the more versatile license for myself rather than just buying software for the guys.

What does 2.7.x really give you that you cannot live without?

We have been using 2.6.5 for months and have no problem with it, 2.7.x will add some nice features and fixes but 2.6.5 is not a show stopper.

EugeneZ
October 16th, 2010, 18:37

My campaign crashes constantly on 2.6.5. We're at level 26 and have been playing for over two years, so the db.xml file is enormous.

Aristotle
October 17th, 2010, 10:36

It's not really a 'can't live without it' situation, but it is a preference when I look at the laundry list of improvements.

S'ok. My three licenses came through last evening, so we should be set. Considering we are still nervous about online gaming, it's probably better that I went with the less expensive option anyway.

I may still upgrade to ultimate down the road, depending on how our playtest goes. I've done a quick demonstration and at least two of the three have said they might eventually look into getting full licenses so that they can run games too. So I'm doing my part to spread the word and generate new interest to support continued development. :)

Moon Wizard
October 17th, 2010, 19:12
Thanks for the support, Aristotle.

We are definitely looking at how the updater and test mode manager work for future improvements. As usual, we have too many requests and ideas to get to them all.

Regards,
JPG

ddavison
October 25th, 2010, 06:10
While we have not fully addressed the beta testing issue for Ultimate and Unregistered users, I did want to add that the unregistered and ultimate users can now fully upgraded to 2.7.2. The Ultimate user will complete an upgrade as usual and the unregistered users will need to re-download the installer from the downloads page and install at the most current revision -- 2.7.2.