PDA

View Full Version : a token creator?

niku
October 7th, 2010, 05:38
hey i had a program that would add a border to any jpg i had and make it into a token.... i dont remember the name, was wondering if anyone had knowledge of such a program.

Griogre
October 7th, 2010, 05:57
Maybe it was TokenTool? https://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=tokentool

niku
October 7th, 2010, 06:06
yes sir. thats it. thanks a bunch!

Griogre
October 8th, 2010, 22:20
You're welcome. TokenTool is a great little app. Small, simple and effective.

Archlyte
October 22nd, 2010, 07:23
To make custom tokens, say with an art program, what size should the image be? 50x50 pixels?

Griogre
October 22nd, 2010, 20:04
This is more complex question than it seems at first because your token scale will determine your map scale and thus indirectly the grid size and file size of all your maps. The short answer is that you don't really want them any larger than the 50x50 pixels for medium monsters that many people use. I use 32x32 pixels for my medium size tokens.

It boils down to player/GM monitor sizes and resolutions. You might have a large screen but the odds are *someone* in the group is playing on a laptop or an old computer with a small screen. Because you can only display a map so large before you cover up the small screen's players, chat window, hot keys, etc the smaller size you have your tokens the more of the map you can show in the same space. However the smaller the token size the less detail on the tokens is visible. It's a "pretty" token vs. more map area trade off.

Archlyte
October 22nd, 2010, 22:17
Ok, I see. That makes a lot of sense, and I wasn't thinking about the resolutions of the other monitors. Next thing to learn: Mapmaking :)