PDA

View Full Version : Targets damage is separate?

zapoqx
October 6th, 2010, 13:43
So while using my Swordmage, I came across an issue involving a power that targeted multiple enemies. I hit them both, however the damage rolls decided to be different for each target instead of one.
Did I miss something on a rule update or is it just an issue with how targeting works in 2.6.5? I always thought the damage rolls on multiple enemies were supposed to roll once to represent damage to ALL targets.

Griogre
October 6th, 2010, 16:40
It depends on the power. What power is it? Is the power a close burst or area burst? If not then there should be multiple attack and damage rolls. The Swordmage does have a few powers that target multiple enemies but are not bursts or blasts.

The ruleset depends on keywords to tell the difference so if the power is a burst or blast check to see if there is a typo in the power's keyword(s).

Moon Wizard
October 6th, 2010, 17:02
It depends on the type of attack. Melee and ranged attacks use separate damage rolls in a multi-target situation, whereas close and area attacks use a single damage roll for all targets in a multi-target situation.

I'm pretty sure I confirmed this on the Wizards site at some point in the past, but let me know if you find an official statement that states otherwise.

Cheers,
JPG

zapoqx
October 11th, 2010, 04:29
Sorry for not replying sooner.
The power for my swordmage was the Level 13 encounter attack power Seed of Fire located in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide.
Initially, it is a melee attack to a single target. If you hit, you push them away x number of squares and then you make a secondary attack. The secondary attack targets all creatures within 2 squares of the primary target so you could say its an area burst 2 centered from the initial target.
I submitted a ticket to Wizards just to double verify the damage thing.
If you wanted info on the keywords to make sure, it is Arcane, Fire, Weapon.

Griogre
October 11th, 2010, 06:44
The way that one is written, I believe it should be multiple attack and damage rolls since it in the first attack hit it says make a Secondary Attack and the Secondary Target says each creature with 2 squares of the primary target's location. There is no reference to burst or blasts, so they should be separate attack and damage rolls. You can contrast this to the Warden's 1st level Encounter Thunder Ram Assault, where it does call out a blast for the secondary attack with the powers being very similar in structure other wise.

zapoqx
October 12th, 2010, 20:39
Well, I got the response. Now of course, my response could be not the right answer being looked for because we all know that customer support doesn't always mean that its the right people that should know the answers...

Q: Do you still do a single damage roll for the targets or do you roll 2 separate damage rolls?
A: You would still do a single damage roll for both targets.

Please let me know if you need anymore help!

The question was the last part of my entire question involving multi-attack that isn't a area burst/blast or close burst/blast, but rather Ranged attack if it targets up to multiple people. I could possibly respond back to double make sure if this still applies to the swordmage power, yet I have a feeling it will according to Customer Support.

Update:
According to Wizards since they were fast at replying....

Answer: For the secondary attack portion of Seed of Fire, you would to-hit for each creature but only roll damage once.

Moon Wizard
October 12th, 2010, 23:41
It's funny, because that is directly at odds with what I uncovered originally when I looked into it. The answer at the time was that M/R attacks are individual damage rolls, and C/A attacks are single damage rolls.

For now, that is going to be how the ruleset behaves until I work on a new update and investigate their answer further. (and potential conflicts).

Thanks for the follow-up,
JPG

zapoqx
October 15th, 2010, 02:50
No prob. The only thing I can think of is that it could be the difference with like some of the Ranger's Bow&Arrow attacks and the few double weapon attacks where it usually says #[W] damage or #[W] damage + [attribute] mod per attack. Example: Twin Strike.