PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial Sessions

Arin
October 5th, 2010, 17:53
Hi there. So, FantasyGrounds is probably the most powerful VTT setting out there, but, no offense to the devs, it's also gotta be one of the hardest programs to learn (and I say that as an IT professional as well as someone who would have bought the thing 2 years ago if it hadn't been so frustrating. If it weren't for Xorn's tutorial videos, I'd still have passed it up...).

So perhaps you're considering buying, or you've recently bought, but you're wondering what this thing can do and how it works? If so, I'm offering you a chance to try it out and get the tour with me. I have an ultimate license, so you can install the unregistered version and connect with me. I'll be running this every other Sunday from 3-5PM EST. Come check it out!

https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=531

GunnarGreybeard
October 5th, 2010, 18:23
Excellent idea. I am trying to do something like that myself, using the Rolemaster ruleset. Hopefully some of those sitting on the fence or having questions will jump in.

someoneinatree
October 6th, 2010, 01:49
Yes kudos for setting this up. There's nothing better than actually playing the game to learn how it works; and who better to run some tutorials than someone with an Ultimate license!

Necromik
October 6th, 2010, 13:44
Excellent Initiative!

I'm not expert but it sure would help newcomers get going on the game!

unerwünscht
October 6th, 2010, 15:12
Good luck with that. I tried it a few times before, and never managed to get much interest in it. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9673

Arin
October 6th, 2010, 18:35
Good luck with that. I tried it a few times before, and never managed to get much interest in it. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9673

Probably the most significant difference between this attempt and yours (aside from the fact that you probably know way more about what you're doing than I'm going to, hehehe) is that back then, someone had to cough up $25 to learn about the program. With my ultimate license, people can join for /free/ in order to see what the program is like, and learn some of the neat tips and tricks I've accumulated. (I'll be honest, I'm doing it as much in the hopes that some other experienced chap will join and teach ME a thing or two as I am for sharing all the wonderful things I've already learned that literally turned this software from the most frustrating piece of crap I ever tried to use into the most awesome software application that I can't figure out how I ever lived without).

Also, you tried to run a one-shot game. ;) I won't be doing that. A couple of rounds of mock combat to show it off, sure, but that's about it. I may do one-shots at some point in the future but it won't be to teach people anything about FG, it'll be for the game experience itself. :)

So far I've got 3 signups, so I'm very optimistic that it'll be a good experience. If you're free on Saturday, I could certainly use a veteran in the mix.

Jynx_lucky_j
October 6th, 2010, 19:22
I'd like to check out your fantasy grounds tutorial as well. I've used it a few time before, but just its more basic features really. I can't promise I'll be able to make it as I have a game Sunday morning and it depends on how long it runs for. However I'll try to make it work.

Arin
October 6th, 2010, 19:39
I'd like to check out your fantasy grounds tutorial as well. I've used it a few time before, but just its more basic features really. I can't promise I'll be able to make it as I have a game Sunday morning and it depends on how long it runs for. However I'll try to make it work.

Umm, I'm /in/ your game, silly. ;) I was the blond kid who peed in the corner last session when the gargoyle came to stomp our faces, remember? :)

--Tyrin/Arin

Killian
October 7th, 2010, 13:09
would definately like to attend as havn't DMed or used full license before i bought it and want to be confident in it's use before i start up my first campaign.

Jynx_lucky_j
October 7th, 2010, 17:36
Umm, I'm /in/ your game, silly. ;) I was the blond kid who peed in the corner last session when the gargoyle came to stomp our faces, remember? :)

--Tyrin/Arin
Ah! Tyrin, right. I'm sorry I'm pretty bad with names, it'll probably take me a few session before I really start remembering people :o

monkey-x
October 7th, 2010, 21:43
this sound like a great idea. I've been looking to try out the system before i buy it. unfortunatly being in the UK means this will be at 1am. Bummer.

Arin
October 7th, 2010, 21:47
this sound like a great idea. I've been looking to try out the system before i buy it. unfortunatly being in the UK means this will be at 1am. Bummer.

Aren't you GMT? It would only be 8pm for you I thought.

someoneinatree
October 8th, 2010, 01:31
I always find posting times as a link to a world-clock is helpful. Especially at this time of year when various countries going on/off daylight savings on different dates can make the usual calculations especially confusing!

So: Sunday 11 October at 3pm EDT (https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=10&month=10&year=2010&hour=15&min=0&sec=0&p1=179)

monkey-x
October 8th, 2010, 11:32
Heh, my mistake. somehow I got the impression it was listed as a 9PM start. You are correct, it's 8PM over here.

cyghost
October 8th, 2010, 12:59
heya - I'm so up for this.

I am at GMT +2 and the game shows up at 10:00pm for me but on chezcaliente's link it is at 21:00...

help?

someoneinatree
October 8th, 2010, 13:58
heya - I'm so up for this.

I am at GMT +2 and the game shows up at 10:00pm for me but on chezcaliente's link it is at 21:00...

help?

I'd trust my link. lol. Basically, the game calendar forum clocks on this site require both the person posting and the person reading the game time to have their timezone settings correct in their user profile. And it doesn't seem to know when countries go on and off daylight saving... as I had to force my profile's daylight savings settings to "on" when the southern states of Australia switched over last Sunday.

cyghost
October 8th, 2010, 15:52
Thanks, mate. I'll be sure to check in at 21:00 then.

We don't really do daylight saving here - enough sunshine all around. :p

Cyphermagnum
October 10th, 2010, 16:07
Arin, great idea - i just picked this up a few days ago and while i'm pretty experienced as far as PnP games go, I have NO clue how to use the FGII interface. So ... excited to get this on the move!

GunnarGreybeard
October 10th, 2010, 16:32
Something like this would probably be a good idea especially for people to check out the other rulesets for FGII that are not free. Obviously they would not see things from the GM side of the screen but they could play around with the character sheets and see whats involved to participate in a campaign using that ruleset as a player.

Arin
October 10th, 2010, 20:04
Okay, my server's up. :) cold monk epic camp to get on, and Jerry28FL on Skype so we can add a voice chat element to this.

cyghost
October 10th, 2010, 20:16
could not connect to host :(

firewall is allowing fantasy ground traffic.

help?

Arin
October 10th, 2010, 20:35
Should be good now. Message me on Skype if you still have a problem.

cyghost
October 10th, 2010, 20:38
dowloading skype... :ninja:

Am I too far?? Still cannot connect.

ionfarmer
October 11th, 2010, 01:59
Arin:

The tutorial session was great and I appreciate you taking the time to host it. I would have interacted a bit more vocally if the wife hadn't decided to start the laundry at 3:05 pm, causing me to mute the mic to kill the machinery room noise.

The token scaling lesson was pure gold and thanks for that.

Traok
October 11th, 2010, 02:46
Was never able to connect :( I checked port 1802 said it was open (Canyouseeme.org and port checker from pcflak) also when I test it said successfull but when i go to connect I got the red stop sign with unable to connect :(

Man I hate I missed this.

Any ideas before next Sunday
Thanks for any help in getting ready to get some help next Sun .. ./scratches head

Traok

Edit *** Was able to connect to a buddy of mine .. I dont know why i couldnt connect to you.. boo

cyghost
October 11th, 2010, 06:35
Arin, this was totally awesome thank you so much.

Using the program and watching Xorne's videos (thank you for that, sir!) simply doesn't do the same as really connecting and interacting. :D

I struggled to connect with the server words but managed to when I had the IP. Any reason for that anyone?

Hell, now I am looking for a regular game

/off to the calendar once more

sleepingwolf
October 11th, 2010, 21:05
I was somewhat bummed I had to cancel in favor of a table top game, usually we play saturdays. I'm hoping to make the next one though.