PDA

View Full Version : RM Video Tutorials?

NEPHiLiX
October 1st, 2010, 21:48
I'm a veteran RM GM and new to FG, but I love the potential of the program. Unfortunately, that's about where I'm stuck. I'm slowly discovering through trial and error (in the character creation process) from which areas in which sourcebooks you need to drag in order to have it populate the character sheet but it's a slow and agonizing effort. Can anyone who's a veteran at FG: RM Classic make and post some quick video tutorials (Xorn-style) for RM PC Creation and Combat to help us n00bs out and boost the online RM community?

Thanks ahead of time!

GunnarGreybeard
October 1st, 2010, 22:30
That would be nice. I wish I had enough experience using both RM and FG to put something like that together. For the last few weeks I have just been going through trying to figure out what works and what doesn't, tedious but necessary. :(

NEPHiLiX
October 2nd, 2010, 01:00
...you've been fiddling with it for weeks?!

It's annoying to think that *everyone* who buys FG and the RM package has to go through the same lengthy process of trial and error (I'm definitely not looking forward to the frustration of following the same processes and errors that you've already had to deal with)... It seems like such an inefficient way to learn how to use this software. Why are there no IN-DEPTH, STEP-BY-STEP operating manuals (PDFs with pics) for each add-in (RM, Shadowrun, etc) included with the installer package? I think this was an enormous oversight and an annoyance that's especially frustrating for those of us who bought Full/Ultimate licenses to play a specific game.

StuartW
October 2nd, 2010, 07:23
I believe that (with RM) there is a character creation walkthrough PDF installed with the ruleset, which is added to your FG2 program install directory (not the Application Data directory).

If you can't find it, I've attached a copy to this post.

Stuart

StuartW
October 2nd, 2010, 07:27
While not exactly a tutorial, there are also some step-by-step walkthroughs in the original Rolemaster Developers' Blog (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9324) thread.

Stuart

GunnarGreybeard
October 2nd, 2010, 09:06
...you've been fiddling with it for weeks?!
Well, I've been editing, dragging and moving stuff to see what works and what "breaks" the links on the various tabs. Nothing documented, just a trial and error stuff for my own edification.

NEPHiLiX
October 2nd, 2010, 14:18
@StuartW: I actually did find that file through the RM Character Law in FG, but there were no pics, and the pics help significantly in clarifying where to drag and drop from (although it still isn't clear whether I should expect the level bonuses to auto-populate after choosing a class and going up a level, etc). So thank you for that and your thread suggestion. Is there anything like this PDF available for RM Combat Management via FG?

@GunnarGreybeard: well, if I discover anything revolutionary that I wished I had known before, I'll drop you an e-line.

StuartW
October 2nd, 2010, 14:22
Level bonuses don't auto-populate for the RM ruleset. Sorry :o