PDA

View Full Version : preloading things question

Jundle
September 29th, 2010, 23:10
If I (the GM) want to pre-load images and things like that on a PC client machine, I assume I do the following: on my GM machine I make the campaign, then export it. I then copy the newly created .mod file to the module folder on the PC client computer, and then when someone connects to the game on the PC client computer, they will pull maps and images from their local mod file.

Is this correct?

Also, I have done the above and it still seems like files are being copied to the client when it connects to the GM instance. Is this the characters being downloaded to the client? If so, is there a way to pre-load the characters onto the client machines?

EugeneZ
September 29th, 2010, 23:17
There's a specific export type that allows this to work correctly, I believe. The three types are shared, host, and client. You'd think shared would be it, but unless I'm mistaken, it's not the correct one. I think if you give them a host module, they wouldn't be able to even open it. Maybe try client? That would seem to imply they can access the maps and things, but they have no interface to do so (unless the recent updated in 2.7 change that). They could still just open up the zip file, of course.

Griogre
September 30th, 2010, 00:25
It's not clear why you are trying to "pre-load images and things like that on a PC client machine" and depending on the reason you can do different things. Your assumption is correct though.

Here is a step by step instruction on how to make the modules: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=51689&postcount=1

There was a report that this method does not work in version 2.7. I'm not sure of the status of that report. It might not work because now the client can open things.

Having a client module with images would not stop all data transfer just the images when you share or preload them inside of FG. If the ruleset if it is not a PAK one it will need to transfer as well as any extensions, common modules and shared tokens still need to transfer on connection.

Generally you don't want to transfer characters to a client because they then have to transfer them back to the server. For pregens its usually best to just make them on the server and clear the user so players can grab them as they log in.

drahkar
September 30th, 2010, 00:48
If you are trying to distribute the content of your Campaign for use by your players. You need to make the campaign, get it all setup, go to your cache directory, zip of the cache for your campaign and then distribute that zip file to your players. At which point they unzip it into their Cache directory.

The Cache directory is accessible by going to your Start Menu -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder. In that folder you will find the Directory called 'Cache'.