PDA

View Full Version : A RoleMaster in Harn Game

GunnarGreybeard
September 29th, 2010, 15:52
OK, I'm going to put this out here as test feeler to determine interest. I am currently running a RoleMaster campaign although it has been like 20+ years since I played the system and am attempting to relearn it as I go. The campaign takes place in Harn (in other words there is little to no magic) using the RoleMaster ruleset for the combat and magic system.

Anyway, during the last few weeks I have concluded that my current group is on the verge of a meltdown. They are constantly threatening to draw swords on each other, abandoning others in the middle of combat, etc, so I don't believe it'll survive such longer at this this rate.

That being the case, I am considering starting up a new group, following a similar storyline but changing some things to keep if unique. It will be several weeks before it would be ready due to the story "rewrite" and due to work schedules I am limited to certain days of availability (Tuesday/Wednesday nights or any other day, if in the early morning).

If this might be something you are interested in please feel free to post.

GunnarGreybeard
September 29th, 2010, 15:57
Oh, and I have an Ultimate License so no need for one on your end.

tenkar
September 30th, 2010, 02:06
Sound like this might be interesting. Haven't played RM in years. Tues or Wed night would be fine. Keep me in mind if you start something up.

GunnarGreybeard
September 30th, 2010, 15:19
I'm hoping to round up some new blood to RoleMaster. In its PnP incarnation its known to be a pretty complex system, mainly due to the usage of a large amount of charts during combat. I have found that beyond character creation, the FGII Ruleset makes its so much easier since almost everything is automated.

I'll post more over the upcoming weeks as I flesh things out. Probably add a Game Calender entry as well.

For those wanting more information, you can find it here; Knights of Belsirasin (A RoleMaster VTT/RPG Game) (https://bloodybohemianearspooninn.com/2010/06/30/knights-of-belsirasin-a-rolemaster-vttrpg-game).

GunnarGreybeard
September 30th, 2010, 18:03
A little more information here. We will be using FG's built in text chat only and both FG and RoleMaster newbies are particularly welcome. This game is meant to be more about role-playing than hack and slash, and getting some friendly gaming done in a relaxing environment.

JDArmstrong
September 30th, 2010, 18:11
Would be interested as well...

Sigurd
September 30th, 2010, 19:04
Sounds interesting. What time frame on Tuesday or Wednesday?

Sigurd

GunnarGreybeard
September 30th, 2010, 19:07
We will be sticking to the base character classes for the campaign (but no pure spell users) and everyone will start at 3rd level (combat is deadly enough as it is). While we will use rolemaster for the characters development I may also throw in some of the Harn background stuff.

I have not settled on a date yet but I have added a Calender entry (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=529) for those interested so I can get an idea of the interest.

GunnarGreybeard
September 30th, 2010, 19:09
Sounds interesting. What time frame on Tuesday or Wednesday?
Probably 7:30-11:00PM CST, although I can start as early as 6:00 if necessary.

RKBrumbelow
October 1st, 2010, 01:34
I would also be interested, I have not played in a few years since Joel Blair's campaigns in the 90's but If you need/ want another I would be game.

GunnarGreybeard
October 1st, 2010, 09:15
There is an online character generator here for anyone who wants to play around with it. It's for 1st Edition but everything is still pretty much applicable;

RoleMaster Character Generator, 1st Edition (https://www.timgrant.net/rm/)

Once I get some more information on the campaign together such as tentative game days I will provide a list of the available classes and the steps needed to create that character.

For those who do not know, please be for-warned that creating a character in RoleMaster is a pretty lengthy and involved process but I will walk everyone through any of the steps when the time comes. ;)

GunnarGreybeard
October 5th, 2010, 00:49
If anyone wants to take a look at the Rolemaster Ruleset from a player perspective I will have my copy of FG up and running tomorrow evening (Tuesday from 7:30PM-11:00PM CST).

Anyone interested in learning more just PM me sometime before the time above and I will pass the connection data to you so you can connect. Also, as I have an Ultimate License, even if you only have the unregitered version you should be able to connect.

RKBrumbelow
October 5th, 2010, 01:57
There is an online character generator here for anyone who wants to play around with it. It's for 1st Edition but everything is still pretty much applicable;

RoleMaster Character Generator, 1st Edition (https://www.timgrant.net/rm/)

Once I get some more information on the campaign together such as tentative game days I will provide a list of the available classes and the steps needed to create that character.

For those who do not know, please be for-warned that creating a character in RoleMaster is a pretty lengthy and involved process but I will walk everyone through any of the steps when the time comes. ;)

As long as you do not let us die during creation it will be easier than some creation I have seen.

GunnarGreybeard
October 5th, 2010, 06:14
As long as you do not let us die during creation it will be easier than some creation I have seen.
Hehe, I try not to kill PC's too much anyway. Capture, humiliate and torture, well that another thing altogether. ;)

GunnarGreybeard
October 6th, 2010, 01:00
Anyone interested in checking out the Rolemaster ruleset is welcome to log in tonight. I am planning to walk through some basics, characters creation, the combat tracker and such as well as answer any questions. since I have the Ultimate License you should be able to connect with any FGII version, including the unregistered one.

Server will be up at 7:30 CST.

RKBrumbelow
October 6th, 2010, 01:47
Anyone interested in checking out the Rolemaster ruleset is welcome to log in tonight. I am planning to walk through some basics, characters creation, the combat tracker and such as well as answer any questions. since I have the Ultimate License you should be able to connect with any FGII version, including the unregistered one.

Server will be up at 7:30 CST.

Alias for tonight would be: idle pony cold cave

Can you PM an address to connect to?

GunnarGreybeard
October 6th, 2010, 01:55
Can you PM an address to connect to?
PM sent. ;)

GunnarGreybeard
October 7th, 2010, 02:09
I have set up a forum for the Knights of Belsirasin Rolemaster Campaign. If you are a player, interested in being a player or just want to lurk, feel free to register: Bloody Bohemian Earspoon Inn Forums (https://bbesiforum.bloodybohemianearspooninn.com/index.php)

Casdegere
October 8th, 2010, 18:40
I am interested in this if there is still room. I am somewhat familiar with RM classic and I have most of the books in PDF.

GunnarGreybeard
October 8th, 2010, 19:13
I am interested in this if there is still room. I am somewhat familiar with RM classic and I have most of the books in PDF.
You're in, we'll just need to work out a time to get your character created.

Casdegere
October 8th, 2010, 20:46
I went and used the basic Rolemaster Online Character creator you linked: Here is what I came up with:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4604419/CASDEGERE1.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4604419/CASDEGERE2.JPG

It did not have anything on Secondary skills, Adolescent developement, Background options, Talents etc. though.

Here is a nifty excel program that I have used in the past: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4604419/rolemaster%20character%20generator%20XL%20sheet.xl s

GunnarGreybeard
October 8th, 2010, 21:27
Here is a nifty excel program that I have used in the past: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4604419/rolemaster%20character%20generator%20XL%20sheet.xl s I like that spreadsheet. ;)

Casdegere
October 9th, 2010, 01:33
Can you guys send me your Skype addresses please?

GunnarGreybeard
October 9th, 2010, 23:03
Can you guys send me your Skype addresses please?
Not any of the other players are using it. For the game itself we will be using the built in chat.

GunnarGreybeard
October 9th, 2010, 23:05
Any players or prospective players for the campaign who want to set aside separate time for character creation just let me know and we can do that. I work nights, so any time in the morning (8-12AM US GMT-6) would be best. Otherwise, we will use the upcoming scheduled game sessions to get everyone set up and ready to go.

GunnarGreybeard
October 11th, 2010, 20:44
For of you who are planning to play who have not yet started or finished up their character, I will have FG booted up tonight from about 5:30-7:30PM CST. Connection data is in the Campaign section of the Game Calendar. We are running the latest test version, 2.7.1 so make sure you update before joining. Feel free to connect and we can get started.

Otherwise we might be spending most of tomorrow nights game working on this. ;)

GunnarGreybeard
October 12th, 2010, 20:34
I'm doing some design/housekeeping for the story board for the Knights of Belsirasin Campaign so if any of you players involved want to connect and go through some character development stuff, feel free to log in. I'm also doing RL laundry and getting dinner ready for my kids so I may not reply right away if you post a question in the chat box. :D

Alias is listed in the game Calendar. ;)

GunnarGreybeard
October 13th, 2010, 00:45
Just a reminder. We are using the 2.7.1 test version so you need to download the TestModeManager.exe (on the Downloads page), save it to your FG directory and then run it, click/select the Test version, close that window, ,restart FGII and run the Update. That should update you to version 2.7.1.

GunnarGreybeard
October 13th, 2010, 22:54
Having lots of lag and crashes using 2.7.1. Switched back to 2.6.5, worked like a charm. Looks like for now we will be using 2.6.5 until I check some things out.

Griogre
October 14th, 2010, 23:48
You should use the Dev version if you are going to use the beta. The Dev version addresses problems for non 4E rulesets.

GunnarGreybeard
October 18th, 2010, 20:17
For those following along. We will use 2.6.5 for this coming weeks connection. Since we are only concentration on character creation it should be more than adequate. FG alias listed in the Game Calendar.

GunnarGreybeard
October 19th, 2010, 21:28
We'll, since I was blindsided by the recent release of the new version I have decided that we are going to give v2.7.2 a try for the upcoming session. Everyone needs to upgrade before connecting.

JDArmstrong
October 25th, 2010, 11:34
Send me an update... Thanks.

GunnarGreybeard
October 25th, 2010, 15:20
Send me an update... Thanks. We have an entry up in the calender but we are shooting for a regular game Tuesday game session about 7:30-11:00ish PM CST (GMT -6). Being a weekly game some may not be able to make every session which is cool, I will work everyone in so they are at the same point in the story/game.

GunnarGreybeard
November 29th, 2010, 08:10
I posted this in the Game Calender but figured I would copy it here as well.

Sorry everyone. Well, I have had a serious laptop crash and might have lost everything. I've had to send it off to have the motherboard and maybe the screen replaced. It is highly likely that they will be wiping the HD clean which means I have to try and restore what I can from backups once I get the machine back. That being said the next game session will not be on for this week.

TRDG
November 30th, 2010, 12:30
Your back up, Ranger Cutter is very curious on what's in or along that forest mountain trail we were about to follow....:)

Cheers, looking forward to the next game Mike!!

Tom

GunnarGreybeard
December 14th, 2010, 03:43
OK, due to some technical issues and being busy with the holidays I have put further session off until after the 1st of the year. Once that time comes around I will start things back up for those who are still interested.

GunnarGreybeard
December 27th, 2010, 10:36
Well, hopefully I can get the campaign started up again soon sometime after the 1st of the year. The exact date has yet to be determined.

I will likely be sticking with the Tue or Wed evenings game schedule as those are my only days/nights off. Which ever day is picked for the regular session it will still have a starting time of about 7:30PM US Central Time.

Artfuldodger
March 7th, 2011, 20:25
If you're still running the campaign, I'd love to join. I've never played rolemaster before, but have tried MERP once or twice.

GunnarGreybeard
November 25th, 2011, 02:36
Well, hopefully I can get the campaign started up again soon sometime after the 1st of the year. The exact date has yet to be determined.

I will likely be sticking with the Tue or Wed evenings game schedule as those are my only days/nights off. Which ever day is picked for the regular session it will still have a starting time of about 7:30PM US Central Time.OK, so I am only a year off in getting this started back up. :(

Anyway, rather than starting a new thread I decided to keep this one going in the hopes of re-igniting interest in a new campaign. Instead of jumping in full bore I may do a few one shots, that way anyone needing the learn more about the ruleset will have time to do so.

I do not believe I will keep the same theme/scenario but will still be using RoleMaster in HarnWorld again. Possible days will be the same Tue or Wed evenings starting at about 7-7:30PM CST time and going till about 11PM or so. Please be aware that my RoleMaster knowledge has deteriorated severely having only been back into it for about 1 year over the last 20+ years but I think I still have the basics down.

Next, my previous attempts at this seemed to attract few provocateurs that disrupted the fun for everyone else, so if you're a rules lawyer or a stickler bent on abiding by the rulebooks verbatim or enjoy needling/aggravating your fellow adventures there's nothing to see here so please keep walking. :D

Anyone interested or having questions please feel free to post.

GunnarGreybeard
November 25th, 2011, 20:10
To add a little more information. The vast majority of the game will be Harn based with RoleMaster being used as the combat system (since I need a combat tracker and character sheet :( ).

Basically the PC's will be characters built in HarnMaster and converted to RoleMaster so the majority of RoleMaster rulebooks would not be applicable. Skills and some others things will be converted to match RoleMaster stats or manually set up in the character sheets to make them fit more with HarnMaster. If you do not have any Harn material, in particular HarnMaster, no worries, you do not need to know anything about Harn to join in.

lachancery
November 25th, 2011, 22:49
To add a little more information. The vast majority of the game will be Harn based with RoleMaster being used as the combat system (since I need a combat tracker and character sheet :( ).
Sounds like a lot of work, but I like Harn, Harnmaster and Rolemaster - a rare breed. (And I'm no rules lawyer either - RM tends to have a few those) I currently have a conflict on Wednesday nights, but if Tuesday is good, I'm in!

Blackfoot
November 26th, 2011, 16:36
I'm interested.. although I know nothing about Harn or HarnMaster. I do have a bit of experience with RoleMaster.. from way back when.

lachancery
November 27th, 2011, 03:49
I'm interested.. although I know nothing about Harn or HarnMaster. I do have a bit of experience with RoleMaster.. from way back when.
The published material on Harn tends to depict a low magic world where medieval quasi-realism is more prevalent than the epic high fantasy of D&D. There is plenty of esoteric stuff in Harn, but it usually feel more subtle and "believable" - think of the feeling around good ghosts stories.

Harnmaster is a D100 skill-based system that reinforces the "realism" of the Harn setting. In the combat system, for example, it would be more like to collapse from exhaustion, or to die from blood loss or infections, than from a direct wound. As magic is very rare and technology is low, healing is a problem in Harnmaster. Players had to learn the joys of cauterization (burning wounds) to lower risks of infections...

My favorite part about Harn is the detailed, multiple dimension web of intrigue between all the organizations: the multiple nobility layers, the religions, the merchant guilds, the crime lords, etc. As GM in Harn, I had a lot of fun making the players pawns in these various relationships, and seeing their face as they figured out who they were really involved with...

The setting is so rich in details and opportunities that it's really up to where the GM wants to take it though.

GunnarGreybeard
November 27th, 2011, 11:23
Sounds like a lot of work, but I like Harn, Harnmaster and Rolemaster - a rare breed. (And I'm no rules lawyer either - RM tends to have a few those) I currently have a conflict on Wednesday nights, but if Tuesday is good, I'm in! Yeah, I anticipate that entering and testing the skills will be labor intensive at least initially so I will do this with pre-gens at least for the demo/one shots.

Interestingly, having done some comparisons for how I plan to convert things, I am finding that the base, starting HarnMaster (version 3) characters match up to 3rd level RoleMaster characters really well.

Blackfoot
November 28th, 2011, 13:58
Yeah, I anticipate that entering and testing the skills will be labor intensive at least initially so I will do this with pre-gens at least for the demo/one shots.

Interestingly, having done some comparisons for how I plan to convert things, I am finding that the base, starting HarnMaster (version 3) characters match up to 3rd level RoleMaster characters really well.Any idea when you might be thinking of kicking this off?

GunnarGreybeard
November 28th, 2011, 23:41
Any idea when you might be thinking of kicking this off?I'm thinking not for another week or so at least. Still tweaking the conversion.

Sigurd
November 30th, 2011, 23:12
Sounds very interesting. I'd love to at least see if it fits with my schedule. I like Harn to read. I would be a pleasure to play it.

I like Role Master too so there is not down side except maybe the work involved.

Sigurd

GunnarGreybeard
December 1st, 2011, 12:59
Sounds very interesting. I'd love to at least see if it fits with my schedule. I like Harn to read. I would be a pleasure to play it.

I like Role Master too so there is not down side except maybe the work involved.The main reason behind using RoleMaster is the need for a character sheet and combat tracker. Anything that can be "converted" so to speak, will be done the best I can do to make it feel more like HarnMaster than RoleMaster. For example, Skills will be a direct port over, with the OML/EML using the target # of 100 for success (instead of rolling under the OML/EML you normally would in HarnMaster). Also since RoleMaster uses HP, I will be finding a way to figure HarnMaster character HP to port over.

Mohram
December 1st, 2011, 15:38
Hello All, I'm interested, tuesdays are good for me. Ive got background with both Harn and RM. :)

GunnarGreybeard
December 8th, 2011, 20:56
I'm thinking it would be best to just start this off with a one shot to see how well it goes. It might need more "tweaking" with the conversion process I plan to use.

I will be creating pre-gens for this however, anyone familiar with HarnMaster v3 and who would like to create a character themselves to use when this kicks off is free to do so. Just build your PC using HM3 and send me the HarnMaster character sheet info and I'll convert to RMC. Then once we start, you can just grab up that character when you log on. These need to be HarnMaster 3rd Edition compliant, from Orbaal (Ivinian, not Jarin ;) ), any "Occupation" except for Nobles, Clerics or Shek-Pvar.

Any questions, just ask.

Blackfoot
December 8th, 2011, 21:02
Pregen works fine for me since I have no knowledge of Harn or HarnMaster.

lachancery
December 9th, 2011, 18:17
I will be creating pre-gens for this however, anyone familiar with HarnMaster v3 and who would like to create a character themselves to use when this kicks off is free to do so. Just build your PC using HM3 and send me the HarnMaster character sheet info and I'll convert to RMC. Then once we start, you can just grab up that character when you log on. These need to be HarnMaster 3rd Edition compliant, from Orbaal (Ivinian, not Jarin ;) ), any "Occupation" except for Nobles, Clerics or Shek-Pvar.
Human race I assume? For a one shot, it would likely be better with pre-gens.

From Orbaal, I'd go either for a hunter or a huscarl (medium foot, not light horse). If other characters don't have physician and herb lore skills, I'd want those as optional skills.

GunnarGreybeard
December 9th, 2011, 18:48
Human race I assume? For a one shot, it would likely be better with pre-gens.

From Orbaal, I'd go either for a hunter or a huscarl (medium foot, not light horse). If other characters don't have physician and herb lore skills, I'd want those as optional skills.Yes, all will be human. The basic premise I am working on is a group of Hunter/Trappers making their way back home to Orbaal having sold their skins/pelts in a city further south.

I'll work up some pre-gens and we'll go with those.

Blackfoot
December 9th, 2011, 21:06
Yes, all will be human.
Are there inhuman races in the world?

damned
December 9th, 2011, 22:28
Are there inhuman races in the world?

they're everywhere if you know where to look.
your boss is could be a troll or an ogre
your ex girlfriend could be a harpy or a succubus
the neighbours kids could be imps
the bank manager is a very grumpy goblin
that cute thing on the bus could be an elf

GunnarGreybeard
December 10th, 2011, 08:47
Are there inhuman races in the world?Yes there are but they are few and far between with the most common being Gargun (Harn's version of Orcs);

https://www.jswatson.info/Gargun.htm (https://www.jswatson.info/Gargun.htm)
https://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~allens/monsters/orcs.htm (https://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eallens/monsters/orcs.htm)

https://www.philphilphil.com/DnD/World/Gargun.jpg

Dwarves and Elves are also represented but they are extremely rare especially Elves.

corum Rask
December 13th, 2016, 01:16
I would be interested..love the RMC ruleset...

Majyk
December 14th, 2016, 08:29
Original post:

"GunnarGreybeard's Avatar said: December 10th, 2011 00:47"

That said, there are a few folks that were looking to put something together with enough interest.
Keep watching the forums!

Also, ironcrown.com's website is offline and it will be interesting to see whom has fallen asleep on watch for this one...

Jim Bennett
November 22nd, 2020, 00:15
Whatever happened with this...it is now November 2020 ha ha/

GunnarGreybeard
November 22nd, 2020, 05:01
Unfortunately, it never got off the ground. Not enough player interest at the time.

Jim Bennett
November 22nd, 2020, 17:18
Unfortunately, it never got off the ground. Not enough player interest at the time.

I'm not a Rolemaster player...but am interested in doing more with HARN on FG....I was interested in your post and work as I'm not overly enamoured with the HARN combat system....so would have moved to ROLEMASTER rules there if it allowed to use the HARN playing environment....

Oh well....good playing to you...

I use the D&D 5E platform on FG to build my adventure right now...not worried so much about ease of game play mechanics....just the setting...