PDA

View Full Version : GM can't connect anymore...

kodama
September 28th, 2010, 23:42
.. I don't know why, everything was working properly.
I have noticed that when I use the "test" button (that show me FAILURE), my firewall indicate that Fantasy ground wasn't using the 1802 port but every time I try a different port?? 3541, 3542, 3543.
I'm not sure about that but it seems weird to me.
I want to say that I am in DHCP, that I had forwarded my TCP port 1802 for every IP that I usually use (I check with an IPCONFIG that my current IP is one of the IP that I had forwarded and it's OK). I tried to shut down my firewall but it still don't work.
Does that make sens to any of you?

Thank you and excuse me for my poor english skill.

Griogre
September 29th, 2010, 03:36
You should only port forward 1802 to one local IP. The most common reason for a GM's setup to stop working is he is using a dynamic local IP address and his router assigned the GM's computer a different local IP address. Typically you should make your local IP address static so it never changes and port forward 1802 to that address.

What can also happen is the router was rebooted and that cleared all the settings or you installed a different software firewall that needs to be set up correctly or you have two software firewalls running.

kodama
September 29th, 2010, 07:36
Well, thank you for your answer, I will check this evening that I don't have activated the windows firewall (?!) in addition to Kerio.

But the thing that make me write to the forum is really the fact that I saw in the log of Kerio (my personnal firewall) that Fantasy Ground was trying to make outgoing access in TCP on the port 3541. Then I retried and I saw that the port number seems to be incremental but never 1802...

This is very disturbing... I'll check for viruses or spyware (I don't know if that could redirect the port), and I will tell you but I'm pretty sure that my IP is correct (I checked it with IPCONFIG).

Thank you again :)

Spyke
September 29th, 2010, 10:22
I will tell you but I'm pretty sure that my IP is correct (I checked it with IPCONFIG).

You may have a line for that IP set correctly in your router, but if you have several rules set up forwarding 1802 to different IP addresses then, as Griogre indicated, the rule for your machine may not being used. Typically the router would use the first or last one on the list.

Also check that you haven't got any forwarding rules set up for other applications that use a range of ports, which happen to include 1802.

Spyke

Griogre
September 29th, 2010, 20:10
It's also possible that if you running the updater to FG your firewall is reporting the connection to the update server being on a different port than 1802.

Annoyingly, the Windows Firewall has been know to cut itself back on without warning after a security update to it.

kodama
October 1st, 2010, 23:20
OK I've finally change my router from DHCP to fixed IPs ... and configured my port redirection on the IP of my computer.. and it works now!
So you were right about the configuration with many redirection.. it seems like it don't work.
Anyway I'm quiet surprised that I encountered this trouble only after nearly a year of use!
Thank you all anyway and have a good game!

Griogre
October 2nd, 2010, 00:37
It's because usually if you use your computer once every few days the odds are pretty good on a small local network you will keep getting the same local IP address because the lease keeps getting re-upped. It's when you go on vacation for a couple of weeks and the local IP address lease expires or the router loses power that the local IP changes.

sigilbeckons
February 12th, 2016, 02:16
Wish this helped my issue. I have tried all the above, and whats silly is it was just working. I shut everything down to rearrange the office to a new outlet and now it is no longer working. Two tech support friends are baffled and we have tried everything and no connections internally or externally are working now.

QuizicalWiz
February 12th, 2016, 17:22
is this still an issue?

Trenloe
February 12th, 2016, 18:00
Two tech support friends are baffled and we have tried everything and no connections internally or externally are working now.
If internal connects to the internal IP address aren't working then your computer is blocking the access. Check security applications etc. that might be blocking network access for Fantasy Grounds. Try running a second instance on the same computer as the GM instance and "join game" with a server address of localhost - this is the most basic test to see if it can connect on the same computer.

sigilbeckons
February 13th, 2016, 02:08
is this still an issue?

Turns out our Modem also had to be port forwarded. First time I have had to do modem and router.

QuizicalWiz
February 13th, 2016, 09:12
Turns out our Modem also had to be port forwarded. First time I have had to do modem and router.

been having those issues with players, some reason the cant connect unless port forwarding and triggering

Trenloe
February 13th, 2016, 15:25
been having those issues with players, some reason the cant connect unless port forwarding and triggering
As has been mentioned many times recently, players do not need port forwarding and should ignore the connection test as that is for GMs only. As the GM is being the host (server) they are the only ones who need port forwarding.