PDA

View Full Version : Saves at beginning of turn

Whippetsnapper
September 23rd, 2010, 15:38
I'm new to Fantasy Grounds and I'm starting up a game with some friends of mine and one has chosen a warden.

I have read all of the 4e user guides and watched the tutorials and I'm still left with 2 big questions for now...

How do I implement marks? Do i do a 3rd party targeting with the party and apply a -2 atk to the enemies that are marked, or is there an easier way?

And is it possible to do the warden's save at the beginning of the turn automatically?

Whippetsnapper
September 23rd, 2010, 19:42
Wow...the thread on parsing combat challenge (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13268) just answered my question about marking...

I'm still curious about the saves at the beginning of the turn from Font of Life.

SniperDM
September 23rd, 2010, 23:37
Font of Life looks to be one of those fringe cases where the effects system isn't really equipped to automate it properly.

My advice is that right before the warden's turn would start in the combat tracker, have him roll the save manually (double click the 'Saving Throw' field on the combat sheet, or click and drag from it to the chat box—he might even want to drag it to his hotkey bar and activate it from there). Assuming the save is successful, if there is only one effect that a save can end, the combat tracker will erase it automatically. Otherwise, the chat box will simply report success and it will be up to the DM to remove the individual effect from the combat tracker. A bit of a hassle, but I imagine you and your players will get pretty quick at it after a while.

Griogre
September 24th, 2010, 04:11
We basically do what SniperDM says in my game where there is a Warden. Practically speaking its often difficult for the warden player to know when to roll because it isn't always clear when "right before the warden's turn is." It only matters for ongoing damage though.

Whippetsnapper
September 24th, 2010, 11:54
I thought that was the case but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a more graceful way to pull it off.

We're just going to have whoever is before him on alert before each battle begins, so they know not to hit next turn before he makes a save roll.

Thanks SniperDM and Grigore for taking the time to reply.

Griogre
September 24th, 2010, 23:31
No problem, don't forget to warn him yourself because half the time the monsters will be the ones right before him. :p I'm not speaking from experience or anything.... ;)

Whippetsnapper
October 15th, 2010, 13:04
Having run a couple of sessions now, I find it is easy enough just to add a Font of Life monster to the encounter tracker to deal with it.

Griogre
October 15th, 2010, 21:24
Good idea. :) Fortunatley, my group with a warden, fixed my warden problem by getting themselves wiped out except for one character running away. ;)