PDA

View Full Version : Question about map sharing

Jericho
September 23rd, 2010, 15:36
I've recently got back into tabletop gaming and ran an almost paperless game for a friend using legitimate pdfs and maps and character details on a PC, he had a charcter sheet and I tracked the combat on a sheet of paper.

I use dundjinni to create maps and stuff from rpgmapshare to create quite detailed maps with a lot of furniture in rooms and other details. It strikes me that these images are quite large and might take a while to send to a player if he has a slow connection. Hunting around the board it seemed that I could preshare my maps by getting a player to connect to my campaign which would then create an images folder for the campaign on their local machine.

I could then e-mail them the maps which they could load into the relevant folder to save time in game. Have I got this straight or am I jsut doing it backwards?

Thanks again.

Sorcerer
September 23rd, 2010, 18:17
I'm no expert on this (having never done it myself), but I believe when a player connects to your campaign this creates a folder with the same name as your campaign in their cache folder (located where all other appdata - rulesets and modules are) it is in this folder that anything they download from you is stored (in the form of dat files).

if you connect to this campaign from second instance of FG on the same computer you can create these dat files and then then just zip up and send the entire cache folder to your players to drop into there cache folders.

this should as you suggest cut down alot of data transfer and particularly make first connection (when they get the ruleset data) much quicker.

You have to actually open an image and share it before it will be written to the cache file.

I'm sure someone will correct me if i have got that wrong...

Jericho
September 23rd, 2010, 18:32
Thank you, Sorceror, that was how I assumed it worked.