PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions about rulesets

Jericho
September 23rd, 2010, 15:29
Hunting around the boards it seems that if the GM has a ruleset installed on his machine and a player wants to connect to his campaign and doesn't have the ruleset the GM shares the ruleset with the players, is this correct?

Also I have been thinking about running a one shot to test the software out (dry running it with myself for starters), my choice would be Traveller using Valarians MGT Extension, as it is an extension and not a full ruleset would this be automatically shared?

Also as an Extension would I be able to Pregen characters on my local machine and share them with my PCs, I was able to do this last night while I was playing around with the software but I wondered if tis ws because I was running two instances of FG2 on the same computer.

Thanks in advance.

Valarian
September 23rd, 2010, 17:54
The ruleset is uploaded to the player in an encrypted campaign file. The extension does likewise. When creating your campaign, select the Foundation ruleset and also select the MGT Traveller extension. When the players connect, the software will download the required files.

To pregen characters, don't create them as local. Start the campaign and add them there. As long as the characters are not owned by a player, they'll be available for selection.

Jericho
September 23rd, 2010, 18:36
Thank you Valarian, I just realised how dumb my question about your EXT file was, the characters are obviously created using the foundation ruleset thats modified by your EXT so would be available for sharing. I created the test characters as server characters, somehow I was thinking the EXT file was divorced from a ruleset, now I feel rather thick :) .

Valarian
September 23rd, 2010, 21:36
Not at all - we are all new to things at some point

Jericho
September 23rd, 2010, 22:01
Well thanks for the input Valarian, I feel confident enough to have a bash at writing my first scenario and taking it for a test drive.

StuartW
September 24th, 2010, 06:47
If you are interested in Traveller, you might want to check out the fabulous screenshot in this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11626). It is a conversion of the original Shadows adventure.

Another interesting resource is the Citizens of the Imperium (CotI) (https://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php) forum.

Stuart

Jericho
September 24th, 2010, 12:56
Thank you StuartW, I looked at Foen's CT Ruleset as it seemed more fully featured than Valarians MGT one, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore FGWiki, I get an error saying the file is not present on the server or something similar. Plus I do prefer MGT to CT which, the character generation generally produces characters with a higher variety of skills than CT, also I prefer the armour absorbs damage of MGT rather than it making you harder to hit as it does in CT.

I'm occasional poster over at COTI.

Got to say that conversion of Shadows looks awesome and gives me a twinge of nostalgia, Shadows was the first scenario I ever ran back as a teen in the eighties as it came in the starter Traveller boxed set.

StuartW
September 24th, 2010, 18:31
There is also a GURPS Traveller extension available.

BTW, I'll repost the CT ruleset to the Wiki sometime this weekend.

Stuart

StuartW
September 24th, 2010, 22:59
The CT ruleset should hopefully be back up (v0.7.132).

Have a good weekend,

Stuart

Jericho
September 24th, 2010, 23:03
Thanks stuart, I'll download and have a look.