PDA

View Full Version : Full + Lites or Ultimate?

Moose
September 23rd, 2010, 08:25
Greetings everyone,
A group of friends and I are planning on starting up an online d&d 4e game and were looking around for programs to use when we found this site. We already have a Vent server for talking set up so all we need is the "gaming table". There are 9 players and 1 GM in the group and we are trying to decide if it would be better to purchase the Ultimate license and host to the players, or to buy 1 full license and 9 lite licenses in a bundle. The costs come out to roughly the same (about a $2 difference).

So the only question that I pose to you is, "what is the difference for the players if they are playing from a lite license connected to a full license or if they are playing from a demo license connected to an ultimate license."

I do not think the players are planning on playing with any other people online, so owning a lite version isn't needed. Having the Ultimate license would be useful if we ever have a new player join (then they would not have to pay the full $24 for a lite version). So mostly I am worried about any limitation that exist in the demo license of the game, such as how character data is saved, custom tokens, profile pictures, etc.

This looks like an amazing product and we are excited to use it. We are just trying to find the best method to fit out group's needs. Thank you.

Griogre
September 23rd, 2010, 08:38
You've generally nailed it. The unregistered version can't connect with any other version than the Ultimate while the lites can be players for servers with either the full or ultimate version.

One other reason for considering Full & Lites vs Ultimate & unregistered is GMs. IE is someone else in your ever going to GM for you group. The cost to go from a lite to full is much less than an unregistered to Ultimate.

Moose
September 23rd, 2010, 08:47
Thank you for the fast response. Yes the idea of changing GMs at some point in the future (even if its temporary to relieve the current gm) would be MUCH cheaper to go with the Full + Lites. But for the sake of the argument for or against one choice, do you know of any glaring disadvantages for using the demo version. In the downloads section it states:

"Characters created in the local character preparation mode are not saved."
"Customized assets, such as tokens and new images for maps can't be used."

Would characters and custom assets made in a campaign be saved if they were connected to an ultimate edition, or would we be re-rolling our characters every session? Or do these issues only come up when your playing around in "single player mode"? I ask since I am not familiar how character data is saved between hosts and players.

SLB
September 23rd, 2010, 14:32
I think you have a mis-interpretation of how the ultimate license works (I do not have one so if I am mistaken, would someone please correct me).

My understanding is that your players would not be playing with the DEMO version of the software. Each player would download the lite version (or full version?) of the software. However, when installing, instead of entering in a license number when it is requested, they would indicate that they are going to connect to an ultimate license and therefore bypass that step.

So, the question isn't if the software is sufficient since you would be using the same software regardless of the license you purchase (ultimate, full or lite). It's a question of how your group is going to use the software, primarily if there is a chance at any point of someone else becoming the GM.

Griogre
September 23rd, 2010, 20:19
SLB is correct, players for someone GMing with an Ultimate version don't use the demo version of FG. The demo is different from the unregistered (lite) version of FG players use to connect only with Servers running the Ultimate version of FG.

The restrictions of the demo do not apply. Most campaign data is saved on the server, including the characters and you should not have to re-input it barring the server losing it's data.

"Characters created in the local character preparation mode are not saved."
This statement of the demo is true. At the risk of confusion, it's also true that most rulesets do not support the creation of local characters with the lite and unregistered versions for later transfer to the server, and this includes the 4E ruleset. The old d20 ruleset does allow this which is what the demo is really based on. However, in most rulesets, players with lite or unregistered versions of FG need to connect to the server to build their characters which is generally the most common behavior at the start of a campaign anyway.

Moose
September 23rd, 2010, 22:45
Ok that clears up some confusion. (I was under the impression that unregistered = demo)

So at this stage it is apparent that all players will be getting the lite version of the game.

I guess my initial thoughts of the different types of licenses were:

Ultimate: Pretty much full access to program and allows feedback and such

Full: GM account for running games

Lite: Account for people planning to just be players

Demo: try out the program

I was under the impression that the Full version was for the GM while players used the lite versions to join. but it's starting to seem that the Ultimate is for the GM while the players should be running the full versions.

Our group isn't necessarily a super-hardcore gaming group so we're hesitant to pay alot for a program that (while incredibly nice) could be replaced by a free program and alot more work.

saithan
September 23rd, 2010, 23:22
currently I use the ultimate license. I have one player with a full license. when introducing a new player they download the standard lite and upon install when asked for a license code they mark it as having none.

their clients will work fine when connecting to any one running ultimate as the full will connect too.

draw back 1
they can not make characters and save them so I store the characters on the ultimate. my one full license player can bypass this issue.

drawback 2
they can not connect to any one other than a person with ultimate.

so if you are serious as a GM and have a group that doesn't have a lot of money,and want to use FG (worth it!!!) I recommend ultimate. then down the road you may get players hooked enough to buy full then share the GMing.

there really is a million and one ways to look at it really.

Phystus
September 23rd, 2010, 23:35
... I was under the impression that the Full version was for the GM while players used the lite versions to join. but it's starting to seem that the Ultimate is for the GM while the players should be running the full versions.

Your first impression was the closer. It's GM on full and players on full or lite. OR, GM on Ultimate and players on full, lite, or unregistered.

The ultimate license is mostly for GM's who want to introduce new players, or run games to demonstrate FG using a game system other than D&D 3.5, or who are just really generous (and wealthy). There may be other reasons. But a full license is all you need to GM as long as your players are willing to spend for a lite license.

~P

Moose
September 23rd, 2010, 23:53
I guess I'm still thinking of there being three versions.
Ultimate
Full
Lite

When really there are two.
Ultimate
Full

While the lite is a Full License with restrictions.

How limiting is the Lite license as far as saving data, customization?

Also is the Full license capable of GM'ing 4th edition DnD? Because it is starting to sound like the Ultimate License is the only real customizable version of the License.

saithan
September 24th, 2010, 00:49
the only difference i notice between the full and ultimate is unregistered users can connect to ultimate.

Moose
September 24th, 2010, 01:30
but does lite = unregistered?

what is the difference between unregistered and lite?

saithan
September 24th, 2010, 01:36
unregistered = free
when you install the file from
Fantasy Grounds II

Download the installer here. Running the installer requires an active internet connection to complete.
Download now: Both licenses (30.4 MB)

that heading during the install it asks from a license code the player marks "don't have code" and it installs as a client that can only connect to ultimate hosts.

Griogre
September 24th, 2010, 03:47
First, Moose keep asking questions until you have it all sorted out in your head.

The lite and the unregistered versions are not equal. Unregistered versions can only connect as a player to an Ultimate version, the lite version can connect to either a Full or Ultimate versions.

Lets start with the very basics. FG runs on a client-server relationship. In FG only the GMs run the server and in FG the server is the GM's computer and uses his internet connection. All of the campaign's information is stored on the server (the GM's Computer).

To be a GM you must have either the Ultimate or Full versions of FG. These versions allow you to run an FG server. As others have mentioned the only difference between the Full and Ultimate versions of FG is who can connect to your FG server.

With a GM running a game on the Ultimate version of FG a player can connect to the game and play if he is running on his computer the following versions of FG: 1) Ultimate Version, 2) Full Version, 3) Lite Version, 4) Unregistered Version.

With a GM running a game on the Full version of FG a player can connect to the game and play if he is running on his computer the following versions of FG: 1) Ultimate Version, 2) Full Version, 3) Lite Version.

Thus the difference between the Full and Ultimate version are that Unregistered Versions can connect to the Ultimate version and to connect to a GM running the Full version of FG the player must have at least the lite version.

Because the cost is basically the same for you to get a Full and 8 Lites or an Ultimate and 8 unregistered in my mind the trade offs are this:

If you go with the Ultimate & unregistered versions you are making it cost nothing to join your group as a player, but making it expensive for another member of the group to GM in the future because he would have to upgrade from an Unregistered to the Ultimate Version of FG to GM your group.

On the other hand if you go with the Full & Lites and someone else in your group wants to GM all he would have to do is upgrade his lite version to a full version. However if you have someone new join your group he would have to have at least buy at least a lite version to play.

Hopefully that helped.

Valarian
September 24th, 2010, 06:09
That said, do try the demo version first. In order to run a game as GM you have to open up a network port for FGII to run. There's help in the FAQ section and in various posts on how to do this. Once you've got this working for the demo version and have a player connected you should be fine for an Ultimate/Unregistered or Full/Lite connection.

Moose
September 24th, 2010, 06:20
Thank you all so much for your help in this matter. I'll be discussing this with our group to get a general consensus of what we will be deciding. Once again Thank you for all your responses in helping me figure out how it all works.

Lee
September 27th, 2010, 19:16
Just a quick note, one advantage of full+lites is that your lite players can join some of the other games and groups around here. If they're interested in that then the lite version can be pretty convenient.

Arin
September 28th, 2010, 17:27
On the other hand if you go with the Full & Lites and someone else in your group wants to GM all he would have to do is upgrade his lite version to a full version.

I was under the impression that upgrading was not permitted.

Sorcerer
September 28th, 2010, 17:41
check out this thread for the lite to Full upgrade story...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9296&page=5&highlight=upgrade+lite+full

Arin
September 28th, 2010, 17:48
The upgrade is only available to users who purchased their Lite license prior to the release of 2.3.5.

That confirms it. If these guys bought the lite/full today, they'd be getting a later version, and could not just upgrade one of the lites to full if someone else wanted a shot at DMing.

Sorcerer
September 28th, 2010, 17:51
read on a bit further...on page 3 there is a post from Dave davison
dated November 16th, 2009 where he says the offer is now extended to cover
versions 2.6.2 and later...

Arin
September 28th, 2010, 18:12
read on a bit further...on page 3 there is a post from Dave davison
dated November 16th, 2009 where he says the offer is now extended to cover
versions 2.6.2 and later...

Ahhh, the old "update coming from another person" trick. :) Well grumble, grumble, I would've made my purchasing decision a little differently had I known, especially since the FAQ also still says no upgrades.

Ah well, I love the thing anyway, so... no harm no foul. ;)