PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Wild Die to Work

jvgriffis
September 22nd, 2010, 13:26
So, I'm essentially brand new to FG. I'm running it fine under Wine (CPU pegged at 100% but whatever, deal with that later). Desperately want to get SW ruleset running properly.

Wild die never rolls.

I'm just trying stuff out here, so I'm probably missing something - I try to create a campaign, create a PC, create a Personality to play with (and click Jack so he's set as a Wild Card)... but the Wild Die never shows up for me.

Any ideas? More detail needed?

mr_h
September 22nd, 2010, 14:46
I think this is the same problem I had, but the guys I played with told me how.

Click on the Tools button in the upper right. One of the icons that shows up should be the WILD! icon (Smiling Jack + Dice).

If you click on it it rolls a wild die.
If you right click, it lets you pick what the wild die would be.
You can also right click and select Toggle, which will turn the wild die on every time you do a roll.

Also, if you have extra damage as the result of a raise, click the +Damage icon next to the modifier box (lower left). That'll throw on the extra damage for you.

Hope that helps

jvgriffis
September 22nd, 2010, 14:54
Curses! being at work and unable to try it out!

Mask_of_winter
September 23rd, 2010, 01:59
make sure you roll from your sheet too... also, it will only take the best result from your Wild Die and the Attribute.

jvgriffis
September 23rd, 2010, 11:13
Yep, right-click Smilin Jack on the Tools piece and pick Toggle so he's "on" and it works fine.

Why is that not active by default? Seems to me the Wild Die is one of the most significant parts of the SW system...

Griogre
September 24th, 2010, 04:29
It is but as a GM you will be toggling it on and off constantly because most of the world is not Wild Cards and don't get a wild die. So generally you have it toggled on for your PCs and off for most NPCs.

Doswelk
September 24th, 2010, 08:23
It is but as a GM you will be toggling it on and off constantly because most of the world is not Wild Cards and don't get a wild die. So generally you have it toggled on for your PCs and off for most NPCs.

Ah!

But if the NPC sheet has the Wild Card icon (on the NPC sheet) disabled, but the Main Wild Die icon enabled FGII correctly does not roll the wild die.

I am not sure what purpose the wild die icon serves now, I think you used to have to toggle it off/on but an update by Terro made it redundant.

jvgriffis
September 24th, 2010, 13:40
Yeah, the main toggle icon should just be removed - toggle it on, and the mini wild-card icon on the Personality sheet definitely DOES control whether or not the wild die is rolled - I just tried it out to be sure.

SO, until it changes: make sure you toggle the big icon (in Tools) so it's turned on!

Doswelk
September 24th, 2010, 17:44
It's main use, these days is to allow you to change the wild die.

This allows you to make the Wild a d4 up to a d12.

Griogre
September 25th, 2010, 00:08
Wow, I'm behind the curve on the Wild Dice. Thanks guys!