PDA

View Full Version : B/X D&D ruleset nearing completion!

Felderin
September 21st, 2010, 01:12
It's been more work than I had anticipated, but I'm really liking how it's coming out. This is a ruleset for the old B/X (Basic/Expert, by Moldvay and Cook) boxed sets. I started with the Labyrinth Lord ruleset as a base, hoping to keep as much of that as I could, since LL is very similar to the B/X rules. And then I started tinkering around ended up reworking an awful lot of it, and eventually just scrapped the whole LL library module and made my own from scratch. Doh! There were just too many subtle changes in spell and monster descriptions, and in the class tables and equipment lists, so I wasn't able to re-use much of that stuff. Oh, well.

I did manage to use the character sheet and tracker almost as-is, though, with only a few minor changes. So that saved some work. I just did some graphical alterations to the tracker; the character sheet required some functional changes, and I altered the graphics to more closely resemble the Basic D&D sample character sheet, but retained the old-school "photocopy" aesthetic that the LL ruleset had.

So... close... :)

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/5010206824_a34c44c83e_o.jpg

Sakusammakko
September 21st, 2010, 08:46
That screenshot is a beautiful piece of work.

Anyway, I looked at the LL ruleset a while back, but was disappointed with the functionality compared to the C&C ruleset. It'll be very interesting to see what you've done.

Have you thought about adding the AEC material from goblinoid games? That would make this ruleset even more attractive.

Keep up the great work.
R

Sorcerer
September 21st, 2010, 13:33
Is that The Keep on the Borderlands your playing?

Really looks great,

pity the Wizards won't let you distribute it....

Felderin
September 21st, 2010, 13:41
Anyway, I looked at the LL ruleset a while back, but was disappointed with the functionality compared to the C&C ruleset. It'll be very interesting to see what you've done.

I think the LL ruleset covers all of the functionality that it needs. Basic D&D characters are a lot simpler than characters from AD&D (which is what C&C is based on), but other than that, both rulesets have basically equivalent functionality.

Have you thought about adding the AEC material from goblinoid games? That would make this ruleset even more attractive.

Probably not. There's a lot of little differences between the LL rules and the D&D B/X rules, which is why I wanted to do a D&D conversion in the first place. LL actually seems closer to BECM in a lot of ways, and it does a number of things differently than B/X (character progression tables, equipment costs and weights, armor types, altered class abilities with different progression rates, spell levels that go beyond 6 for MU/E and 5 for clerics, etc.). That stuff would be easier to work into the LL ruleset, but I don't think it's a good fit for B/X.

silvereagle72
September 21st, 2010, 21:33
Looks awesome! Can't wait to see the final work. Im a AD&D Player, Myself, but some of my friends have been interested in FG2 since I started talking about it, and a few prefer D&D

Blue Haven
September 23rd, 2010, 21:16
Any news friend...?
Can´t wait for it :D

Felderin
September 24th, 2010, 05:42
It's coming along. Almost everything is done except for a few tweaks to the character sheet and the monster listings in the reference module. I'm working my way through monsters alphabetically--currently I am on "Manticore." :)

Blue Haven
September 24th, 2010, 11:37
Don´t stop now ;) eh eh eh

Stitched
September 24th, 2010, 14:32
Blown. Away.

I am constantly amazed at the quality people are willing to crank out in the name of role-playing online.

Astonishing ruleset.

silvereagle72
September 24th, 2010, 17:57
I think there are many of us who love playing Paper and Pencil RPGs instead of World of Warcraft type games. The online options (like FG) give us the same benefit of grouping together that the WoW types have.

BRAVO to FG and to its supporters!

-SE

P.S. I'm looking into a XML class!

Blue Haven
September 25th, 2010, 00:49
I guess Silver said it all...the only thing i have to say is that sometimes WoW can be so much fun as P&P roleplay...that´s why i play both ;)

Griogre
September 25th, 2010, 03:36
P.S. I'm looking into a XML class!
I don't want to discourage you from taking a class but you would quickly find out that the only thing you need to know about XML for FG data is:

1) If you open a tag *always* close it - <test>Data</test>

2) XML is case sensitive - <test> and <Test> are *not* the same.

3) Do not use non alpha numerical characters in your tags (elements).

4) Be aware of what the XML control character are/do like: " < > \ / &

tdewitt274
September 25th, 2010, 13:33
I don't want to discourage you from taking a class but you would quickly find out that the only thing you need to know about XML for FG data is:

1) If you open a tag *always* close it - <test>Data</test>

2) XML is case sensitive - <test> and <Test> are *not* the same.

3) Do not use non alpha numerical characters in your tags (elements).

4) Be aware of what the XML control character are/do like: " < > \ / &
I agree, check the internet (search for "XML Tutorials" on Google) before paying someone. Or better yet, pick up a book like "XML in 24 hours/days" and it will go through all the extra stuff (not needed for FG).

For a FG list I would also add, for those not familiar with HTML4 or earlier, that

5) You must close tags in order. Ex,

Acceptable
<tag1>Here is a an example of how to <b>bold and <u>underline</u></b></tag1>

Invalid
<tag1>Here is a an example of how NOT to <u><b>bold and underline</u></b></tag1>

6) You can create tags for anything you want, but keep in mind that HTML tags are not the same as XML tags.
In the example above, there is no underline or bold effects in XML, it just specifies them. It will show up in FG because they are specified.

aaelon
September 28th, 2010, 16:07
Really nice work there bud.

Blue Haven
October 7th, 2010, 14:05
Any News about this Pearl...?
;)

bobthebuilder
October 9th, 2010, 11:25
I've been looking forward to a Basic D&D ruleset for FG for a long time - i'll definitely be using this ruleset once it's complete..great work!

Let us know when it's finished.:)

mediajunkie
October 21st, 2010, 19:30
This is just awesome!

blondejohn
October 26th, 2010, 07:59
How is this going? It'd be nice to hear an update.... :)

Blue Haven
December 18th, 2010, 22:22
Any News about this ruleset and modules?? this would be a great christmas present for all of us :)

Wargamer777
December 21st, 2010, 02:40
Any News about this ruleset and modules?? this would be a great christmas present for all of us :)

An Amazing piece of work! I agree, this would be one awesome Christmas present... even more so since I'm looking at starting a B/X game very soon now. I've incorporated Judges Guild wilderness hex style crawling and rumors to dungeons and ruins all abound. It's up to the players as to which direction and routes they take.

deadbOlt
December 21st, 2010, 04:41
I had to register to show support for this.

This looks fantastic! I would gladly consider purchasing FG2 if this were available. If you are looking for help entering monster data into fields/forms/etc. please let me know. I'd be interested in helping move this along to completion.

Can't wait to (hopefully) get my hands on this!!!

StuartW
December 21st, 2010, 06:32
In case folks don't know, Labyrinth Lord (https://www.goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.html) is a retro clone of Basic/Expert/Companion/Master and is freely available on the FG Wiki (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Labyrinth_Lord). Felderin's B/X ruleset is a modification of the Labyrinth Lord one.

Although Labyrinth Lord is close to B/E/C/M, some of the detail is different, which is where the Beckham extension (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Beckham_Extension) (BECM) comes into play: it makes PC stats and NPC stats fully compatible with the original red box game.

The entire LL manual, together with monsters, is included in the LL ruleset. The original red box material isn't but then that material is copyright and we cannot secure the permission of WotC to redistribute it. Daniel Proctor has granted permission to redistribute the LL material.

Stuart

Wargamer777
December 21st, 2010, 15:53
Stuart,

Correct, and I have been using the Labyrinth Lord mod. This mod for BASIC looks great however and would be a very much welcome addition!

StuartW
December 21st, 2010, 21:49
I'm probably just being grouchy: this work has been built on the foundations of my own effort, and doesn't even acknowledge that effort in the chatbox startup; I'd love to have distributed the B/E/C/M material, but that would be against copyright law; someone comes along and uses my code and WotC copyright text - and somehow *they* are brilliant.

(crawls back under his stone)

Stuart

deadbOlt
December 21st, 2010, 22:21
I've actually just started to read the LL rules. If anyone could post a screen shot of the LL ruleset being used that would be awesome. Just printed out the no-art copy the other day and threw it in a 3-ring binder. Looks like a cool game and I am definitely thankful that you have made it available for free.

I do however have a soft spot for the moldvay basic set because it was my first experience with d&d (One of my favorite Christmas presents ever!). I still have all the old rules and modules. It would just be really neat to be able to use them for FG.

StuartW
December 21st, 2010, 22:37
Some screenshots of the ruleset, sorry I don't have anything showing maps or a game in progress.

(Apologies for being grumpy too)

deadbOlt
December 21st, 2010, 23:37
Very nice, thank you kindly. =D

drahkar
December 22nd, 2010, 00:54
I couldn't agree with you more on this point. This is why I always strive to get permission and offer credit when I can on stuff I borrow for my work. Its only right.

I'm probably just being grouchy: this work has been built on the foundations of my own effort, and doesn't even acknowledge that effort in the chatbox startup; I'd love to have distributed the B/E/C/M material, but that would be against copyright law; someone comes along and uses my code and WotC copyright text - and somehow *they* are brilliant.

(crawls back under his stone)

Stuart

Blue Haven
December 22nd, 2010, 22:51
Well i understand StuartW but lets look the other way...another wonderful job is done (err...its not out yet) and ppl now have another ruleset they can use...this is a community where we all work to improve gaming right? so relax and enjoy the ride :) we should work together and not against each others...and lets see...he is not selling the ruleset so why the fight anyway...?
peace out :)

Blue Haven
November 13th, 2011, 21:49
I don&#180;t want to be the necromancer of the year but any news about this wonderful ruleset...?
Thanks

deadbOlt
November 14th, 2011, 07:49
I have a bad feeling this will never see the light of day. I certainly hope that's not the case....

GunnarGreybeard
November 14th, 2011, 08:44
I have a bad feeling this will never see the light of day. I certainly hope that's not the case.... I was thinking the same thing. I know how RL can get in the way of things, especially with Ruleset design being a long term effort. Maybe this thread necromancy will prompt an update. :D

Blue Haven
November 14th, 2011, 10:02
It would be a wonderful present eh eh eh from santa ;)

damned
November 14th, 2011, 11:39
i think you said that last year....

Blue Haven
November 15th, 2011, 15:06
LLOOLL yeah ;) well i&#180;m just trying eh eh :)