PDA

View Full Version : Server inaccessible around 7:40 - 8:50 EST. Fixed.

ddavison
September 19th, 2010, 02:07
A config setting change made the server inaccessible for a little over an hour today. This was unexpected but she be fixed now. Apologies for anyone affected.

zapoqx
September 19th, 2010, 04:39
Thanks. Our group was highly confused. We were playing and one of the players crashed, but on return, he was getting the error about not something involving Boolean being invalid. Almost wish there was a backup site to know what happened at times. It did make it impossible for our DM to restart FG2 due to the server being inaccessible.

osarusan
September 19th, 2010, 09:50
Yeah, I was terrified when I started up my weekly game and found I couldn't connect to the nickname server or test my port... but then I realized that since Fantasy Grounds doesn't technically need the server, all I had to do was pass my players my IP and we connected just fine.

I really want to underline how happy I am that I could still use my software when the server was down! Thank you so much for keeping it designed that way!

zapoqx
September 19th, 2010, 12:13
Interesting. Our DM, the program was freezing when trying to start the server.

drahkar
September 19th, 2010, 13:13
He probably didn't turn off the 'Enable Alias' option. So it kept trying to connect and activate the alias which it couldn't.

Doswelk
September 19th, 2010, 13:45
I really want to underline how happy I am that I could still use my software when the server was down! Thank you so much for keeping it designed that way!

Yet still so many people ask for central servers instead of GM's hosting themselves!

I have always been glad that there is no central server requirement (apart from the Alias function)

drahkar
September 19th, 2010, 15:14
What -WOULD- be nice is the ability to assign ports to it and maybe a dedicated server option with the ability of the GM to remotely log into it. That way you could run it on a server somewhere with more bandwidth and GM it from your home computer.

Griogre
September 20th, 2010, 09:18
Remember if the alias server is down a player can still connect via direct IP address. If you are the server in the middle of a game and don't know the IP when someone crashes out and you want to give him the IP you can either quickly start another instance of FG click the Load Campaign button and have FG look up the External IP for you. Then close out that instance. You can also use a site like www.whatsmyip.org too.