PDA

View Full Version : Directory paths

Jundle
September 15th, 2010, 02:59
It seems to me, if I am the GM, and I want to load libraries, tokens, modules, etc..., that I need to copy specific files into specific folders (and not through the Fantasy Grounds gui). I'm fine with this, but what I don't get is, what files go to which directories, and what are the directory paths?

I'm using windows 7 and version 2.7.1

When I go into the Fantasy Grounds II dir inside program files, I only see a few files and no sub-directories.

Under c:\users\(name)\appdata\roaming\fantasy grounds ii, it looks like that is the area where I'm going to be doing the main amount of dragging and dropping. I just don't know what goes where.

I used a process that was mentioned on the forums to get alot of tokens for 4e, and then I just copied everything into the c:\users\(name)\appdata\roaming\fantasy grounds ii\tokens\host area. So inside that I have a bunch of .mod files and a bunch of subdirs with a single .png and .xml file and then another layer of subdirs called tokens with all the .png files. Do I need all of those? Do I just need the .mod files? Do I need to put all the tokens into the "host" and the "shared" folder? Do they instead need to go into the campaign sub folder and its respective campaign?

Modules and libraries. When I use the parser and parse stuff I've gotten from the ddi web site, it shows up in my gm instance. But when I start 2 other instances of FG2 on my localbox and use the localhost option to connect to the campaign, only 1 of the 2 "players" can see the library module stuff I've entered. I don't know where the directories are for the individual accounts I make on my local box so that I can drag and drop library module stuff. Can someone tell me how library module files fit into the folder directory structure?

I guess I'm just mainly confused and what files belong in which folders. Is there a white paper that has all this info somewhere?

ddavison
September 15th, 2010, 04:22
There is also a shortcut to get to your userdata folder is to use the Start | Programs | Fantasy Grounds II | Application Data Folder link. You are correct that this is where everything needs to go. Under there, you will see folders for modules, rulesets, extensions, tokens, campaigns, etc. MOD files go in the modules folder. Tokens go under tokens/host (normally), EXT files go in the extension folder and rulesets go into the ruleset folders. Rulesets will show up as a folder with a bunch of files in it. The MOD and EXT files will be a single file with the appropriate extension.

To ensure your MOD files are installed correctly, you can launch FG and see if they start to show up in the module activation window for compatible rulesets.

Tarostar
September 15th, 2010, 09:18
Although I have no problems using the current folder structure I think it would make sense to be able to import a portrait for a character inside Fantasy Grounds. Just a simple "Import Portrait" button in the portrait selection box which allows you to browse to a picture would do. It should warn you if the picture is not the right size and tell you what it should be and ideally let you crop the picture to the portrait size before copying it to the portrait folder.

It might not be a high priority, but to the less computer literate it can be quite painful to explain how to set their portrait. Also, speaking of the computer illiterate, I've had some trouble explaining to those with older computers that if their resolution is too low they will not see the text input box and have other display errors. I don't think FG should refuse to run on lower resolutions, but a warning together with a suggestion for minimum resolution and a link to open the windows screen resolution config would be lovely.

Jundle
September 15th, 2010, 17:22
In regards to file structure and using more than 1 instance of FG2 on the "localhost", I have a question.

When I use the parser and parse stuff I've gotten from the ddi web site, it shows up in my gm instance. But when I start 2 other instances of FG2 on my localbox and use the localhost option to connect to the campaign, only 1 of the 2 "players" can see the library module stuff I've entered. I don't know where the directories are for the individual accounts I make on my local box so that I can drag and drop library module stuff. Can someone tell me how library module files fit into the folder directory structure?