PDA

View Full Version : Wiki Failure

Oberoten
September 14th, 2010, 07:05
Alas... As some of you have noticed the Wiki is using an old version of it's data.

This is very unfortunate and comes from me thinking I was clever. I had a program that was to do daily updates to a memory stick to keep all the data safe.

It worked as a charm. I didn't have to even look at it. It also failed quietly two months ago.

Friday I notice the Wiki is being VERY sluggish while doing some updates and I decide to update it to the latest version while I am fixing the problem.

I was just too sure that there would be fresh updates on the memorystick, so sure I wiped everything and re-installed. THEN I found out that there was updates indeed, right filenames etc but the last one for the FGwiki was about two months old.

I have spent a lot of time trying to find a way to restore the contents but I am afraid that none of the other ways than the backup SQL files is a viable choice.

So this leaves us with the Wiki somewhat out of date, but at the least working.

I humbly do apologize for the arrogance that lead to this and I hope that we can all help fix what we have posted to the latest versions again.

- Obe

Valarian
September 14th, 2010, 13:23
The Dresden Files ruleset is missing in action. I sent the email with the ruleset and text to you on 14th May 2010. I can resend this if required.

Oberoten
September 14th, 2010, 14:00
Yeah, I think it is actually still there I just need to re-link it again.

* Also : I just turned uploads back on to 300 Mb limit again. Default PHP was 2Mb

- Obe

cpbs
September 14th, 2010, 16:52
Have you thought of moving the wiki offsite to a hosting company, or do you like the ability to have the information on a local server?

Valarian
September 14th, 2010, 17:08
Yeah, I think it is actually still there I just need to re-link it again.
Thanks Oberoten.

Oberoten
September 14th, 2010, 17:49
Have you thought of moving the wiki offsite to a hosting company, or do you like the ability to have the information on a local server?

Well, I have gotten a multitude of offers for taking it off my hands, but I have liked having it nearby and under my direct control.

Perhaps though it is time to reconsider and let someone more savy take over.

- Obe

drahkar
September 14th, 2010, 18:34
Personally I think that Obe has done a wonderful job in maintaining the wiki. I'd hate to see it end up somewhere else only to not ge the same kind of support it has to date.

If Obe wanted some backup, I'd be willing to offer it. But like I said, I think he's doing a bang up job so far.

unerwünscht
September 14th, 2010, 18:39
You are still more than welcome to merge it into gamingarmy.

Zeus
September 14th, 2010, 18:49
Moving it to a managed hosting site won't necessarily prevent the same mishaps from re-occuring again. This given Obe would still have to administrate the Wiki unless he's looking for a full managed service (pretty pricey though).

I for one think Obe has done a great job, as for the mishap with the admin, well these things sometimes happen (say la vie).

peterb
September 14th, 2010, 20:23
Well, I have gotten a multitude of offers for taking it off my hands, but I have liked having it nearby and under my direct control.

Perhaps though it is time to reconsider and let someone more savy take over.

- Obe

From a (Swedish) legalese POW its of great importance that the wiki and its contents remain within Swedish jurisdiction. It'll save us all tons of potential problems...

/Peter [som just läser specialkurs inom immaterialrätt på juristlinjen...]

Griogre
September 14th, 2010, 20:53
I also think Obe has done a good job. And I agree there are always mishaps (even at Fortune 500 companies and hosting companies with dedicated IT staff) the thing is to learn from them and move on.

I'd like to see Obi continue to manage the wiki but maybe you should consider a mirror site (with its own backups) or an online backup to another site in addition to your local backups.

drahkar
September 14th, 2010, 22:11
I believe most of the rulesets are back in place now. Plus I went through and updated the template for displaying ruleset data. all of the commercial Rulset entries are migrated to the new Template as are Shadowrun and Ars Magica. I'll work on getting the rest over to it ASAP.

Probably tomorrow night or the night after I start working on migrating the Anatomy of a Ruleset back over. I'll update the Status of the migration on the Anatomy Thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13148

Doswelk
September 14th, 2010, 22:27
Being a Savage I checked out the new template (Very Nice by the way), when I noticed you had misspelled Savege (sic) Worlds

Then I remembered it was a wiki and fixed it myself :D

drahkar
September 14th, 2010, 22:31
I was cut'n'pasting! I swear! :)

Good catch. And Thanks. :)

Sigurd
September 15th, 2010, 00:06
Obe, don't kick yourself.

These things happen to the very best of people. You're fine, it wasn't powering an artificial heart!

Think of it as an unforeseen editorial challenge. :D

Challenges can be good.

EugeneZ
September 15th, 2010, 04:15
I always have an open offer for anyone who's doing useful things for FG2 to host their site on my paid server. I believe I've made this offer to Oberoten before, but here it is again. He's done a great job running the wiki so far, but data loss just isn't a good thing, no matter how awesome any admin is. It doesn't happen on paid hosts... they get paid for this exact reason, because we're all imperfect. I already host several other major FG2 contributers who can vouch that I can grant you SSH access, plenty of space and bandwidth on a *dedicated* machine, and leave you to your business: helping the FG2 community.

Doswelk
September 15th, 2010, 08:22
Is the Wiki down again? Or is it just my ISP?

Oberoten
September 15th, 2010, 15:00
Allright...

https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki.sql
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki.rar

Those two are the files containing database respectively the filebase of it.

- Obe

EugeneZ
September 16th, 2010, 03:28
Allright...

https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki.sql
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki.rar

Those two are the files containing database respectively the filebase of it.

- Obe

Is this directed at me? If you're interested in my hosting offer, e-mail me at [email protected] with you desired SSH login info (user/pass). After I set up your user, one of us can set these files up, and get you whatever else you need.

Oberoten
September 16th, 2010, 09:54
It is directed at anyone who wants to run a more reliable mirror. I will keep admining the one I have, they can start admining the one they get.

The sheer amount of private requests I have gotten the last few days for others to host the Wiki means I will give it to anyone who wants it. I will keep mine running though.

- Obe

drahkar
September 16th, 2010, 10:30
I stand with my original opinion. I'll continue using Obe's. :)

Bidmaron
December 23rd, 2010, 05:35
Obe, several more of the extension file links don't work, specifically, the Flurry extension, Image tools, status bar, town, and trap (I can provide this if you need it since I wrote it).

drahkar
December 23rd, 2010, 07:56
Hey Bidmaron! Thanks for pointing those out. If you could toss me the ones you have, that would be great. I'll get them loaded as soon as I get them. I'll look for the missing ones as well.

StuartW
December 23rd, 2010, 09:11
I'll upload Image Tools and Status Bar when I get 5 minutes.

Bidmaron
December 23rd, 2010, 23:10
Also, on the FAQ page, the FG2 patches listing is only up to date with v 2.3.5, and we're a little beyond that now....

Bidmaron
December 24th, 2010, 03:08
Drahkar, how do you want me to get you the files?

StuartW
December 24th, 2010, 06:30
Imagetools and StatusBar both uploaded.