PDA

View Full Version : Client Crashes relating to map/combat tracker

lady2beetle
September 13th, 2010, 15:30
Last night, we had our first session, knowing that it would be a little rough as we figured things out. The biggest issue turned out to be recurrent crashes for my players.

We had gotten things going and were 1 round into combat when FG crashed for one of my players. She tried reconnecting, but when she got back in and I re-shared the map (after preloading it), it froze up for her again. Eventually, she decided that it must be a computer issue and she moved to her laptop which has more ram. We got her back in and were ready to continue...

Then another player's client started to crash. He has a brand new good computer, but we couldn't get him back in either. Eventually, he said that he could get the map okay, but when he opened up the combat tracker, his client would freeze.

We like the program and want to get it to work, but we spent 75% of our time yesterday trying to get people into the campaign server. Can you guys offer any advice on how to get players connected and keep them connected?

lady2beetle
September 13th, 2010, 15:45
I have no idea if it makes any difference but...

I'm running FG2 on Windows 7. We're running a 4e adventure that I put together and exported. The only libraries we are running are a fantasy tokens library and my adventure module. There were 4 of us last night (but we'll have 5 usually). The map was a creation from Dungeon Designer 3 in .jpg format, 1mb in size. There were just under 20 creatures on the combat tracker (~6 enemies, 4 pcs, 8 human commoners).

Zeus
September 13th, 2010, 19:12
If your running FGII 2.6.5 and 4E follow these simple steps for a trouble free session when sharing images with new tokens.

1. Ask Players to close their CT windows first
2. Share the map/image
3. Ask Players to re-open their CT windows

Not sure if the problem is addressed in the various 2.7.x releases, I think it is.

lady2beetle
September 13th, 2010, 19:55
Okay, thanks! We will definitely try that! Just one question...

Does that still work if I have tokens that have been dragged directly from the CT (which I think is what I have to do so that it links them as far as damage and stuff)? And what about if someone DCs in the middle of combat? When they come back, can I share the image w/ the tokens and then they open the CT and it'll still work?

Zeus
September 13th, 2010, 20:18
Okay, thanks! We will definitely try that! Just one question...

Does that still work if I have tokens that have been dragged directly from the CT (which I think is what I have to do so that it links them as far as damage and stuff)?
Yes. Tokens should be dragged from the CT to the map in order for reference linking (rolls, targeting etc.) to work.

And what about if someone DCs in the middle of combat? When they come back, can I share the image w/ the tokens and then they open the CT and it'll still work?
Yes, before you share the map again, just ask your players to close their CT first. Once re-shared their CT's can be re-opened. However if you follow the simple 3 steps each time you share a new map or a map with new tokens your players shouldn't disconnect.

Tenian
September 21st, 2010, 17:54
2.7 does fix the tokens in module crashes that were very common in earlier builds. I haven't had an issue with this crash in months