PDA

View Full Version : Upper limit to map/module size?

DualQuad
September 12th, 2010, 14:51
I have mapped a rather large outdoor area that is clocking in around 6MB. This got me thinking. What kind of size boundaries, if any, have you found when sharing modules or maps with players? Is this purely upload dependent or is there a physical size limitation where Fantasy grounds just gets unwieldy?

Thanks in advance,
DQ

Griogre
September 13th, 2010, 08:39
The only real limit is your up bandwith and your size of group which divides the bandwidth. Personally I won't make a map than isn't less than 1 meg and I try to keep them less than 300K, and try hard to keep them less than 600K. The only time I'll let a map creep up to 600K is if I can get the map of the whole level on one map. I find one map is much easier to play on rather than a series of little maps for a dungeon level or series of encounters.

My experience is that the more bytes you push around the more likely things are to go wrong - so I try pretty hard to minimize the amount of data I need to send - because it simply is not worth the hassle you get when people don't get the data.

EugeneZ
December 8th, 2010, 23:42
I recently had my first problem related to map size. It was really a mask problem but here are the details:

The largest map I have ever used without any problems whatsoever:

[email protected]

This map was an outside scene and did not require a mask, nor did I try to use one.

Recently, over several sessions, our group has had it's first problem with a large map:

[email protected] MB

This was a dungeon and I used a mask.

It's quite possible that, given more bandwidth, it would be less of an issue, as I suspect it was the size of the mask file (~80KB vs ~10KB for smaller files) that was causing the issues. Still, since I had a ATT uVerse connection at the time I figured it was worth posting about.

I won't detail the problems, suffice it to say that they make playing VERY difficult, though not impossible, thanks to lag faced by all players (the lag was not limited to the map -- players literally couldn't use FG after I made mask, zoom, or pan updates).