PDA

View Full Version : 4E Data File for Powers/Feats/etc...

Supergnome
September 6th, 2010, 16:20
So I scraped my data, but there is no txt for that selection. I have my Class and Race files in there, but what do I select for Data File?

Thanks

Zeus
September 6th, 2010, 17:17
What module are you attempting to scrape and parse?

Generally for powers, the scrape function produces a file called powers.txt.

Supergnome
September 6th, 2010, 18:47
oops, 4E Player's Handbook (1). There is a line in the parser that calls for "Data File". Everything else has a corresponding file, but there is no Data.txt or anything similar.

SniperDM
September 6th, 2010, 20:00
As DrZeuss has mentioned, the data file is called powers.txt -- because it's data for powers and such.

Supergnome
September 6th, 2010, 21:24
Ah... duh. The fact there as Class.txt, Race.txt, etc... and they correspond to what's listed exactly I overlooked powers.txt. Even with the mentioning. Thanks guys! Sorry to be so dense.

SniperDM
September 7th, 2010, 07:07
Hardly dense. It's an easy enough mistake to make if you don't understand what's going on behind the scenes.

If you're curious, the basic idea is that the parser uses all three files (powers.txt, class.txt, and race.txt) to parse powers from. The powers.txt file contains the data on the powers themselves (as well as feats, class features, racial traits, and so on), but in order to know what classes, races and so on the powers and features belong to, it needs to pull that information from the other two files.

I'm sure someone else can explain it better. This is just what I've figured out from playing around with the parser for a while.

If you can really get a hang on the parser and the expected format of the parsed files, you can do some very nice things with them, such as adding additional reference information on classes (like non-power class features) and races (like racial ability and skill bonuses) that the parser is not able to collect on its own via scraping, or you can even create your own modules for referencing your own homebrew feats/powers/etc. much more easily than you could using straight XML.

I'm probably rambling at this point, but I just think it's a really awesome utility. :D

Supergnome
September 13th, 2010, 02:04
Wow, thanks man. :) That really does help, and I plan to dig deeper at some point. It's my MO to flail about blindly about until i keep hitting the same things, then stop after some random number of times to see just what the heck is the issue. ;)