PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e vs D20_JPG

KhybersGhost
September 5th, 2010, 17:06
I am looking at doing a little customizing for the pathfinder RPG and am wondering where I should start. At the moment, which rule set do people consider to be more advanced/complete? And does anyone have any recommendations? I am very very new to this, but I want to have it do exactly what I want, so it seems I should put some work in.

madman
September 5th, 2010, 17:53
i have done what you are wanting to do, even without making your own setup d20_jpg is the best option for pathfinder at this point.

also the best choice, as it has many more features.

the plan i believe is to take all the stuff in the d20, d20_jpg, and 3.5 and merge them into one ruleset. JPG is now part of Smiteworks. and the updated ruleset will come with FG2, at some point.

Waiting with baited breath.

Chris

JMHO

KhybersGhost
September 5th, 2010, 18:13
Thanks for the reply! I will get to work on it

KhybersGhost
September 6th, 2010, 07:24
Ok, making a little progress. Still having trouble with some things though. I decided to try adding some spells to the spell book to see how it worked. I used the following link as a reference.

https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/How_do_i_:_Add_more_spells%3F

Now, I've done a couple dozen spells and zipped it back up into the new Zip file, placed it in the modules folder and changed the file extension to .mod, which worked fine.

The only problem is when I load up my d20 or d20_jpg modules, my new "spell book" doesn't show up in the modules list with the other rulesets and exported modules. Any thoughts?

Appreciate all the help so far.

Callum
September 6th, 2010, 12:47
Make sure you haven't zipped up the folder as well as the files in it.

KhybersGhost
September 6th, 2010, 18:08
Nope, just the client file, definition file and thumbnail.png. However, I changed the file back, unpacked it again onto the desktop, verified the contents again and repacked it together, this time as a .zip instead of a .rar which may have been the issue. Now it's visible on the mod list and I can enable it, but my changes aren't showing up. So, maybe I linked them incorrectly? It seems fairly straightforward. All the normal spells are there, unbroken. My book isn't populating in the Library screen however.

Callum
September 7th, 2010, 11:57
If you've followed the directions in the wiki, you should have created a new module/book for the library, leaving the core d20 Spells book unchanged. From what you say, your new book appears in the Module Activation window. Have you opened the book to activate it?

My questions may seem obvious, but we need to rule out the obvious (and most common) issues first!

KhybersGhost
September 8th, 2010, 05:42
I did open the module for use as well as setting it to "Available for player use" though that shouldn't make a difference when looking from the DM client. I could be I messed up on a naming convention proposed by the tutorial, but I am not sure where I messed it up.

KhybersGhost
September 8th, 2010, 06:25
Here are some snippets of the code where I changed things (just examples though they dont line up well here)

<d20 Pathfinder Spells="true">
<name type="string">d20 Pathfinder Spells</name>
<categoryname type="string">d20 Essentials</categoryname>
<entries>
<bard>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>reference_classspelllist</class>
<recordname>spelllistspathfinder.bard@d20 Pathfinder Spells</recordname>
</librarylink>

<allfood>
<name type="string">Allfood</name>
<school type="string">transmutation</school>
<level type="string">Rng 2</level>
<components type="string">V, S, M</components>
<castingtime type="string">1 standardaction</castingtime>
<range type="string">touch</range>
<effect type="string">object touched, 5lbs./level</effect>
<duration type="string">instantaneous</duration>
<save type="string">Will negates (object)</save>
<sr type="string">Yes (Object)</sr>
<description type="formattedtext"><p> You can transform one object, weighing up to 5 lbs. per caster level, into an edible substance that any living creature can chew, swallow, and safely digest. This allfood always has a bland taste and slightly gooey consistency when chewed regardless of its original nature. One pound of allfood provides enough sustenance to support a Medium creature for an entire day. Objects of similar nature in close proximity, such as a pile of rocks, count as a single object for the purpose of this spell. You cannot use this spell to transform objects with magical or other exceptional qualities. An object’s hardness is considered to be 0 for the purposes of eating it, but it retains its normal hardness for all other situations, and becomes no more vulnerable to sunder attacks, break attempts, or any other action typically directed against objects. Objects such as hot coals or a burning torch continue to produce energy even after you transform them into allfood and if a creature attempts to eat such an object, it takes damage accordingly</p><p> </p></description>
<shortdescription type="string">Makes 5lbs/level object(s)
edible.</shortdescription>
</allfood>

Under ranger spells

<allfood>
<link type="windowreference"><class>spelldesc</class> <recordname>spelldesc.allfood@d20 Pathfinder Spells</recordname></link>
<level type="number">2</level>
</allfood>

Callum
September 8th, 2010, 12:31
<d20 Pathfinder Spells="true">

I think this should be:-

<d20PathfinderSpells static="true">

KhybersGhost
September 8th, 2010, 22:43
Hmmm. I think you're correct. This doesn't, however, "Fix" it yet. Still in the same situation I was before. Maybe I should start over completely and insert a single spell to start.

Phystus
September 9th, 2010, 01:48
Does the name record in definition.xml exactly match what's in your client.xml, i.e. d20 Pathfinder Spells?

And what does your spellslistpathfinder section look like?

~P

KhybersGhost
September 9th, 2010, 02:04
Definition file
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root>
<name>d20 Pathfinder Spells</name>
<author>Fantasy Grounds d20 Essentials</author>
<ruleset>d20</ruleset>
</root>

Beginning of Client File (Spacing is a little wonky due to space here)

<d20pathfinderspells static="true">
<name type="string">d20 Pathfinder Spells</name>
<categoryname type="string">d20Essentials</categoryname>
<entries>
<bard>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>reference_classspelllist</class>
<recordname>spelllistspathfinder.bard@d20
Pathfinder Spells</recordname>
</librarylink>
<name type="string">Bard spells</name>

KhybersGhost
September 10th, 2010, 01:16
So, I restarted a new file. Did only a single spell and it worked fine. Then I did a small chunk of 5 following that one and it broke. So it seems my error may be in there, but I can't find it thus far. Still looking.

Phystus
September 10th, 2010, 02:58
Do any of the spell names or descriptions contain special characters like <, >, &, ", or /? I've heard of that causing problems.

And you have an entry in each under <spelllistspathfinder> as well as in the descriptions, correct? You need an entry there as well as in spelldesc.

~P

KhybersGhost
September 10th, 2010, 03:07
I think I did the bulk of it correctly, but somewhere made an error that made the whole thing not work. I am now nearly 20 spells in and its working fine for the new new list. I appreciate all the support. I will report back if I find the error with the other list.

KhybersGhost
September 11th, 2010, 01:54
Ok, so I think I found the issue. The problem seems to be with the first spell that has a table section in it. I would "like" this spell description to look something like the entry for Summon Undead with a table. Anyways, I evidently broke this section fairly badly. All fixed now.

SLB
September 11th, 2010, 20:30
I haven't played with the XML for Fantasy Grounds - does it handle the CDATA element?

If it does, you can take any part of the content you are trying to create and where you would normally type in your content

<description type="formattedtext"><p>blah blah blah</p></description>

You would instead type in this (spacing just to help you see it better):
<description type="formattedtext">
<[!CDATA[
<p>blah blah blah</p>
]]>
</description>

What the CDATA element does is tell the XML parser to stop parsing anything in the square brackets until the CDATA element is closed. So if you throw in your HTML tables it should work fine even if you missed closing elements etc.

All that said, it's dependant entirely on how Fantasy Grounds handles the XML, so an expert answer in this area would be helpful.

Either that or you could just try it and see if it breaks.