PDA

View Full Version : Resting

jaqknife
September 1st, 2010, 02:49
is there a way for the DM to lock resting and extended rests from players abusing this?

Griogre
September 1st, 2010, 04:24
No. Locking them from triggering rests would be an option I would like myself.

Most of the time they get through the short and extended rests. But occasionally they don't and sometimes players will jump the gun and then have to go back and undo the short/extended rest they triggered too soon. I've trained my players to usually wait and let me trigger the rests as a party but sometimes they get excited and jump the gun.

jaqknife
September 2nd, 2010, 21:56
is there a way to trigger the rest for the whole party or do I ahve to do each of them seperately through their character sheet?

Tenian
September 2nd, 2010, 23:32
The menu at the bottom of the combat tracker has options for resting the entire party

Nilaihah
September 3rd, 2010, 15:33
Yeah, this and a few other things I would like to be able to restrict control over.

Especially with new players that are poking around the client and end up messing things because they didn't know what they were doing.

Moon Wizard
September 3rd, 2010, 20:09
Nilaihah, I'm listening. ;)

JPG

Nilaihah
September 4th, 2010, 12:38
Excellent, I have the podium!

For one, I wanted to leave the player handbook open to have people be able to reference item lists and whatnot. But this meant they could also give themselves items at will.

Normally it is not an issue with big items, because you'd notice, keeping track of small things may be complicated. An option would be to have another alternative for modules where they open only as read only and they can't drag and insert anything anywhere?

In fact, I'd even like to be able to lock the character sheets altogether from players to be able to edit them would be nice. Or at least that it echoes to the GM once they change/add something.

Ideally for me, once character creation phase is complete you give it a look, make sure it is fine, and lock it. This means that I'd probably have to apply healing effects and whatnot manually, but yeah.

Sometimes it is not a matter of trust, like I said, sometimes they're just poking around and inadvertently making changes that would be hard to track.

Moon Wizard
September 4th, 2010, 18:46
Nilaihah, I appreciate that you took the time to write up your thoughts.

Here is my thought process on this whole angle. (i.e. trust vs. playability vs. accidents)

* I want to avoid players being able to accidentally change things without knowing that they have changed things, or unable to recreate the last 'state' of the character. (i.e. accidental rest, accidental power usage, ...)

* I want to create the same environment that people have at the tabletop. (i.e. players have always had the ability to modify their character sheets at the table.) (i.e. add items, change powers, ...)

So, primarily, what I look for in suggestions regarding this angle are ones that create situations where it is difficult to go back. (i.e. accidents that are hard to recreate states.) The option that disables mouse wheel edit of number fields unless holding the CTRL key is one of the things I have already done. Before that, I would accidentally change number fields just trying to scroll through lists.

Here are a couple that I have on the wish list to address:
* When using a healing surge (or a heal ability), show the amount actually healed. (probably only for PCs)
* For resting, either lock down player ability to rest, or provide output of all changes. (Most likely going to be an option to lock down rest to GM only.)

There is also another level of lockdown associated with some games when you start distrusting players, where you want everything echoed to the GM when a character sheet is changed. However, the level of change required for this capability is quite large (i.e. touches every field and every file in the ruleset), and would take away from creating new features or improving existing features. So, while this request is on the wish list, it is a fairly low priority due to the reward vs. work ratio.

Cheers,
JPG

Nilaihah
September 5th, 2010, 02:06
Completely agree, and I think you got the priorities in the right order. :D

This is a small thing anyhow, it would make things better but the absence of it is not really making it impossible to play.

Thanks for taking the feedback in consideration!