PDA

View Full Version : Connection problems and Port Forwarding.

ZylotheWolfbane
August 31st, 2010, 04:21
Hey, I recently got FGII and I'm trying to start a campaign. Problem is that no one can connect to my game. I've searched all over and tried to set up port forwarding for my modem, however there's been no change. I've tried un-installing FG and re-installing, as well as resetting my entire modem and network. Still nothing.

The modem I have is a Qwest M1000, at my house we have a wireless internet set up so the whole house can use the internet, my computer is NOT plugged directly in through an Ethernet cord, I receive the wireless. If anyone can help out, please do. Any other info you need to help I'll be glad to tell as long as it's not too personal of course.

signed please, help?
Zylo the Wolfbane

Moon Wizard
August 31st, 2010, 19:13
Your best bet is to remove possible firewalls until you determine what is blocking.

The possible firewalls in your situation are:
1. Windows
2. 3rd party security suite (i.e. McAfee, etc.)
3. Wireless access point (if not built into router)
4. Router
5. Cable/DSL modem
6. ISP

1. Depending on the version of Windows you are using, Windows will simply let you know that a program is requesting access, and let you accept or deny. This works on Vista and Win 7, not sure on XP.

2. You will have to look at your help information for any security suites you might have installed. Best bet is to disable completely, then test to see if that's the problem. You may not have anything here, but it's a possibility.

3. You would need to check the settings on the wireless access point to see if port forwarding is needed here. Best bet is to plug into a wired connection, then test to see if that's the problem.

4. This is primarily where port forwarding needs to be configured. You should review the online settings for your router, and consult the router manual for information on how to port forward.

5. Sometimes the ISP provides a modem that is also a router, but most installations I have seen have a separate cable/DSL modem. For some reason, some of these modems are configured with their own firewall that you have to configure separately. One other option to limit the number of variables is to plus your computer directly into modem temporarily to remove router from possible block points.

6. In some situations, the ISP performs blocking of certain ports as well, though this is rare. If you have checked and double-checked everything else, you can give them a call to verify they are not blocking any ports.

Note: You can also change the port that FG uses for communication by adding a "-pXXXX" flag to the application when it starts up. This can help you determine whether it is only the default port (1802) is blocked.

Regards,
JPG

SLB
September 1st, 2010, 03:03
It might help if you were to let us know how technically adept you are with these sorts of things. JPG's advice is good but it's assuming a number of things - for example have you set yourself a static IP on your computer?

If you're new to these types of things then we'll want to start from the very beginning, run through each step to make sure that we're not missing something basic. If you're quite technically competent with networking but still having issues then we'll likely focus on entirely different possibilities.

ZylotheWolfbane
September 1st, 2010, 03:20
Well I'm gunna try some of JPG's stuff when I get the chance, it might be our router that does it. I'll need to look around for any firewalls I may have missed as well. My IP address is preset and is a variation of the main computers (The one connected to the modem) So technically I CAN'T make MY address port forward, because the modem won't let me port forward from my comp's IP. I've used the main computer's IP address and that hasn't worked.

signed I'm fairly good with computers, and I have someone who knows a lot more then me, but he's not so sure what's happening either, but if I have suggestions for what it is we could check it out.
Zylo the Wolfbane

cpbs
September 1st, 2010, 06:34
You could also try using the Test or Developers edition to Fantasy Grounds II. This enables Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), which could by pass the port forwarding. Your router should have a function to turn this off or on. But the Test and Developer editions are not a full release so their might be some bugs but it could work out for you to just get it to working. Just down load the Test Mode Manager. It will give you three option, Release, Test, and Developer. Test and Developer will have UPnP, but they are test releases so save your files if anything happens.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/TestModeManager.exe