PDA

View Full Version : Parsed 4e --> FG2 Library? (Adopt a Noob?)

lady2beetle
August 29th, 2010, 22:03
Hello! I'm VERY new to FG2 and I'm trying to learn my way around. I tried to find some explanation of what I'm trying to do (much less how to do it) on the web and these forums, but I've failed, so I hope you'll forgive me if this question has already been answered.

I downloaded the 4e parser (I do have a DDI subscription) and I set it to Compendium mode, then pieced together how to parse the information out of a single source book (I started with the PHB1). I saved it onto a folder on my desktop, and it gave me several .xml files titled armor, weapons, powers, etc. So I assume I did that right.

I pulled up the parse mode, then, and tried to follow the instructions on the parse document that came with the program. I directed each of the items categories to the appropriate file on my desktop, etc. I got a little confused with the powers file. Do I set it up under the Powers/Feats/Features/Background category? And if so, are the powers the "data file" option? I admit that I was scratching my head there, but the file check came out good.

When I tried to actually parse, though, I got this error:

8/29/2010 3:40:15 PM : ERROR:System.Xml.XmlException: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 147225, position 34.

<familiar>
</familiar>
<library>
<lib4elibrary>
<name type="string">4E Library</name>
*** <categoryname type="string">D&D 4e</categoryname>
<entries>
<a0008ccpaladin>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>reference_classpowerlist</class>
<recordname>powerlists.ccpaladin@4E Library</recordname>

*scratches head some more* I have no idea what that says, but I suspect it means that I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm doing. Help? :o

lady2beetle
August 29th, 2010, 22:04
Aaaaand, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, didn't I? :( Sorry.

tdewitt274
August 29th, 2010, 22:59
Ampersands are trouble for the parser. Change it to an "n" or "and" and you should be fine. The reason is that "&" is reserved in XML.

lady2beetle
August 29th, 2010, 23:43
...wow! THANKS!

I'm sorry for the convoluted post - I had no idea how close I was. :D

tdewitt274
August 30th, 2010, 02:40
Not a prob. that issue hasn't popped up recemtly so it would have been a little difficult to find.

kurtyboh
September 13th, 2010, 23:08
Im glad i found this I tried searching by the first line of the error and search results came back "0 results to display" then it said search term too long or something like that and i was like... darn
Anyhow I had the exact same error and wasnt having it earlier.

On a side note I read in oberoten's parser tutorial that output category should be "D&D 4e Core Rules"- I know it's a guide for an old parser just thought someone should know

tdewitt274
September 14th, 2010, 03:55
Dr. Zeuss had one that is more up to date. I'm not sure where it's at though. Try searching along the lines of "subscription" and it may pull up something.

Edit: Nope, it was "parser guide" with DrZeuss as a user. The "Creating Modules" page on the FGWiki is dead. Use this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=84732&postcount=8) post.

Zeus
September 14th, 2010, 21:45
I think tdewitt274 maybe referring to this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=84732&postcount=8)

It was on the Wiki but due to the recent restore issues is no longer linked, maybe someone could add it back (I'm Wiki illiterate :().