PDA

View Full Version : New PC

VenomousFiligree
August 27th, 2010, 14:30
So a bit of money's come my way and I'm going to upgrade. I've always used a laptop previously, this time I'm going to go for a Small Form Factor. Is there any benefit of having quad core as opposed to dual core, for Fantasy Grounds?

mr_h
August 27th, 2010, 17:35
I noticed no change with FG when I went from a single to a dual core. I suspect there won't be much of a change from dual to quad (I just got a quad at work. It's much nicer for running Virtual Machines, that's for sure)

Griogre
August 27th, 2010, 20:37
I went from a dual to a quad and didn't notice anything specific. The computer is more powerful in general so there was an increase in performance mostly noticeable as the server very seldom having any lag except on a player join.

I personally suspect going from a 32 bit 0S to a 64 bit OS and Vista to Win7 and 2 to 6 Gigs of RAM is more important than the dual to quad cores. The old core duo I had only worked hard in FG when a player was stuck in an endless loop.

I was close to maxing out the 2 gigs of RAM with FG though if I had a bunch of 4E libraries open and I believe Vista only uses up to 2 gigs of RAM for one app. Win7 uses RAM better and supports more of it which is becoming increasingly important with the expanding size of many library modules. I think Moon Wizard mentioned that in Win7 any one app can only use up to 4 Gigs of RAM, though.