PDA

View Full Version : Using FG as DM helper this weekend...

DualQuad
August 26th, 2010, 18:53
Guys,
I took the plunge and purchased FG Ultimate to assist in the DMing work and to provide a means for a friend (soon to be moving to other side of the planet) a means to continue to participate. We have our normal get together planned for Saturday. The plan is that I run the DM side and a separate laptop will connect as clients. This weekend will really amount to the client using the map to move tokens on their side, no formal characters have been input. Since there is only a single client planned, movement will be done via caller/hot seating.

I plan to track damage/wounds manually as DM and apply effects manually to NPCs using FG. Players will do as they have done for the last couple decades, verbally provide dice rolls and track their characters on paper.

So far I have done the following:
1) Prepared last 5 encounters of the adventure module -- we usually do 4 so perhaps we can finish up
2) Input all the common effects and modifiers
3) Found various portraits to use for players
4) Scanned various images to flavor up last encounters.
5) Connected a client to verify that things generally work
6) Loaded up various library resources using Tenians scraper.

Left to do:
1) Export campaign from desk top to laptop --- I think this will amount to moving the appropriate directory to the other device

Is there any important steps that I have overlooked for this first, partial attempt at using FG? Overall, the few stumbling blocks I have encountered while using the software have been extremely minor and inputting the encounters and maps has been extremely fast.

Any thoughts on things that may have been overlooked or should be in place to make this first outing sucessful?

Thanks in advance,
DQ

Stitched
August 26th, 2010, 18:56
Check your internet port to make sure you can accept client connections?

Griogre
August 26th, 2010, 19:49
It sounds like you are well prepared. Though I'm sure you have some questions after the session.

The only thing I can think of is you might wish to make an NPC for each of your player's characters ahead of time so you can show the character's place in the initiative order on the combat tracker. As this is just a place holder you would just need the character's name and token though you could add other info if it seems useful.

I'm not sure why you are exporting to the labtop? If the labtop is the client then you don't need to since everything will be transfered to the client when you connect to the host.

If on the other hand you are going to run the game from a laptop and made the campaign on another computer then, yes, all you need to do is copy the campaign from the data apps folder to the other machine. You would also want everything in the modules folder as well. You can find FG's data application folder by pressing the Start Button -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data folder. This will pop a window with the contents of the folder.

DualQuad
August 26th, 2010, 23:48
About the export, I suppose I wasn't clear. I created the adventure on the desktop and need to move the adventure to my laptop for use at the hosts home.

Thanks again,
DQ

VenomousFiligree
August 27th, 2010, 13:40
About the export, I suppose I wasn't clear. I created the adventure on the desktop and need to move the adventure to my laptop for use at the hosts home.

Thanks again,
DQ
You could copy and paste the campaign directory, or you could "export" the campaign to a module and copy the module to your module directory on your laptop