PDA

View Full Version : Player connects causing crash

Talen
August 23rd, 2010, 00:48
I don't know what the problem could be related to so I'll give some background in the offchance its helpful. Im running Windows 7 in bootcamp on a Mac 27" (Nov 2009). I have a cable connection through Time Warner's Roadrunner and I use a Netgear WNDR 3700 Gigabit router. I am connecting via Cat5. Up until today, no connection problems and my hardware and software have not changed.

I had previously updated to 2.7.1 and had my players do the same via the test manager. Thats when the problems started. Now when they connect, my system crashes. We've rolled back to 2.6 (previously not a problem), and the crashes persist. I've removed all extensions and the problems persist. I rebooted my modem and router and reset my server alias, and the connections still cause a crash.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions for next steps? I suppose I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling FG, but Im not optimistic at the moment.

Phystus
August 23rd, 2010, 02:42
Have you tried creating a new, empty campaign and see if the players can connect to that? I had a similar situation a while back, in my case the campaign's db.xml file had some invalid xml code that was causing the crash.

To find it I opened up the file in Internet Explorer (I had to click Ok a couple times to load the "executable". The listing stops where the error is and an error message pops up.

Worth a try, anyway.

~P

ddavison
August 24th, 2010, 07:02
You might try clearing the owners of all the player characters and having them log in under a new name. This will force a completely new download of the campaign and fix any issues with confused versions of the cache locally on each system.

Talen
August 24th, 2010, 14:13
Woo hoo! That seems to have done the trick! Thank you!

Not sure if the problem was related to our testing 2.7.1 out (running 4e) so debating on waiting for the official 2.7 release or try the test again.

You might try clearing the owners of all the player characters and having them log in under a new name. This will force a completely new download of the campaign and fix any issues with confused versions of the cache locally on each system.