PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get the extra 3.5 rule books?

Joseph Dzurik
August 21st, 2010, 19:59
I am new to FG but have played (and collected) most of the 3.5 books, such as complete divine and psionics books. While I realize most people believe psions are over powered, is there a way to download the rulesets for FG so the extra feats, races, and classes can be played?

Phystus
August 21st, 2010, 21:17
I think Psionics and Epic is available in the Complete SRD, which you can buy in the store.

But most of the supplements (Tome of Battle, for example) weren't part of the SRD, and so can't be distributed without permission from WotC (which they aren't likely to grant).

If you've got PDF versions you might be able to come up with some sort of parser along the lines of Tenian's 4e parser, or you could do a ton of cutting and pasting. If all you have are paper copies you'd have to scan and OCR them first. Either way it would be a ton of work.

~P

Nim
August 22nd, 2010, 04:16
Best bet is to either do as Phystus has said, and do a lot of copy/paste'ing. Or search for sombody who has done the work already(a less legal option).

Either way, I'd suggest getting the PDFs and making it yourself. That way you're getting what you want.

~Nim

Joseph Dzurik
August 22nd, 2010, 05:46
Would I be creating a ruleset or module?

GunnarGreybeard
August 22nd, 2010, 08:31
Would I be creating a ruleset or module?
I believe it would be technically a module. IIRC, the rulesets are really the framework needed to "house" the module/game system data.

tdewitt274
August 22nd, 2010, 16:05
Either way, I'd suggest getting the PDFs and making it yourself.
Just a quick note, but since WotC took down their PDFs from all sellers, this is a less legal option unless the PDFs were purchased before the withdrawal.

Phystus
August 23rd, 2010, 02:55
A less labor-intensive option might be to only build a module with only the races, feats, etc. that your players are actually using, or that you plan for you major BBEG's to use.

There's some documentation on building library modules (like the 3.5 rulebook modules that come with FG) here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12948).

~P

Callum
August 23rd, 2010, 14:53
That documentation is great, and quite detailed. For a briefer introduction to building library modules, you might like to have a look at Griogre's step-by-step guide (using spells as an example) that I tidied up and posted to Oberoten's FG wiki:-

https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/How_do_i_:_Add_more_spells%3F

I'd go along with Phystus' suggestion of starting by just entering the bits you're actually using. I do this for my games, and then add new stuff when needed.

Joseph Dzurik
August 23rd, 2010, 23:23
This looks great, thanks for all the responses, I am glad I can just edit the existing rules to add my stuff, since I am not all that savy with html (read patience)

Rienen
August 25th, 2010, 18:51
A less labor-intensive option might be to only build a module with only the races, feats, etc. that your players are actually using, or that you plan for you major BBEG's to use.

There's some documentation on building library modules (like the 3.5 rulebook modules that come with FG) here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12948).

~P
Oh, that's awesome. I had taken to pruning out the existing modules to create shells to add data to for my Iron Kingdom's modules. This is good reading. Thanks!

Kingfish
October 11th, 2010, 03:18
Howdy all, complete noob here and sorry for bringing up a fairly dead topic but often its better to ask inside an established thread than making another.

I have the Full version of FG and I am starting out hoping to be able to run a decent game. My question is; will this Complete SRD appear in my current 3.5 edition campaign I am working on?

I ask cause the demo only had D20 ruleset and I don't see that at all in the current version of FG2.

Thanks for your time,
K

Phystus
October 11th, 2010, 03:29
The current version comes with the "3.5 Ruleset" instead, which is different but still for D&D 3.5. The D20 ruleset that was used in the demo is available from the downloads section of this site, along with the D20_JPG ruleset, which in my opinion is a lot better.

None of them come with the Complete SRD, but all come with the core races, classes, spells, monsters, and magic items. The Complete SRD (epic, psionics, and I'm not sure what else) is a separate purchase.

~P

Kingfish
October 11th, 2010, 04:18
None of them come with the Complete SRD, but all come with the core races, classes, spells, monsters, and magic items. The Complete SRD (epic, psionics, and I'm not sure what else) is a separate purchase.

~P

Thanks, I am running(or hope to anyway) a 3.5 Edition ruleset story. The Complete SRD for sale in the store, will it show in my 3.5 campaign or is it only for the basic D20 ruleset?

Sorry if I am just thick headed here...I'm assuming I couldn't buy an 'expansion' to Call of Cthulu and it would be selectable in my D&D campaign.

Hope that clears up my confused question better.

Phystus
October 11th, 2010, 12:50
It should show up just fine in a 3.5 campaign. Both 3.5 and D20_JPG were set up to accept materials from the old D20 ruleset, so you should be good to go.

Your assumption about a CoC module not showing up in a D&D campaign is correct, though. Though there are a few (maps and tokens mainly) that will work in any campaign.

~P

Griogre
October 11th, 2010, 23:26
You do need to activate the library modules in the module activation window before you will see them in the library though. You click the button in the top right of the FG desktop that looks like an open book and has the "Modules" tool tip. Then just double click on the book icon to the left of the module name which should cause the smaller brown book to open on the right side of the module text. You can then open the library and see the activated modules.

Kingfish
October 11th, 2010, 23:42
Awesome, gonna buy that then right now!

One other question...and its WAY off topic but...here goes.

The group I have here bought a Full License and 5 Lites. After a couple of these folks looked at the software they have balked about using it...one isn't technical at all(she hardly knows how to use her email) and the other is just straight up cheap and doesn't want to spend money(he thinks Vent alone for chat would be enough)...so, heres the question. Can these Lite License be transferred to someone else? We have two friends that play DDO with us that have expressed interest in using FG2 with us.

Any idea of the process we need to go through to strip these two of their licenses if we have to?