PDA

View Full Version : I've seeked but have not found....Fonts question

Dracenfels
August 21st, 2010, 07:35
So I still don't know how to change the fonts in the 4E ruleset. I downloaded Dr Zeuss' 4e Fonts v1. I also DL the FGfontgenerator. I tried to used the generator and put the new font file in the ruleset's font folder and nothing. I've had Dr Zeuss' download for months now but never found anything on how to use it. Would someone please enlighten me. I've tried to find in the forum but to no avail. Would love to have that option in my campaign hope someone could at least point me in the right direction.

Oberoten
August 21st, 2010, 07:56
I think the problem is that 4E is trying to use the PAK version of the ruleset before it uses the ruleset folder. Change the name of the ruleset folder and use that as system-name and you should see the changes.

- Obe

Moon Wizard
August 21st, 2010, 17:43
Yes, PAK files in the FG application will be used before ruleset folders in the FG data directory. In they have the same name, then the PAK file will be used.

I haven't used DrZ's fonts extension, but it should work either way. You might try sending him a PM, if he doesn't answer himself. He's pretty active. ;)

Regards,
JPG

Dracenfels
August 22nd, 2010, 04:30
I think the problem is that 4E is trying to use the PAK version of the ruleset before it uses the ruleset folder. Change the name of the ruleset folder and use that as system-name and you should see the changes.

- Obe

Umm your gonna have to break that down for me I have no idea what to do. You want me to change the name of the ruleset folder...to what? and then do what???

Griogre
August 22nd, 2010, 07:41
The problem you are having is why it would be better to write an extension to override the existing 4E fonts.

To understand that you have to understand there are two types of rulesets: pak and folder ones. A pak ruleset is usually installed with an installer or updater. A folder ruleset just needs to be dropped into the ruleset folder in FG's application data folder.

The 4E ruleset is a pak ruleset installed by the FG updater. Pak rulesets have a higher priority than folder rulesets. Thus if you have a pak ruleset and a folder ruleset with the same name then FG will use the pak ruleset instead of the folder one. It appears you have been altering the fonts in the folder ruleset of the same name of the pak ruleset which means you are actually using the pak one which you have not altered so you will *never* see any changes since you are not actually altering the ruleset you are using.

You have two choices: Like Obe said if you rename the ruleset in the folder so it does not have the same name as the 4E pak ruleset, to say 4E_Dracendels and then start a new campaign using the 4E_Dracendels ruleset you should see your changes. The problem with doing it this way is your ruleset becomes frozen in time and will no longer receive any new updates that may be released for the 4E ruleset.

Your second option is to put all the changes into an extension. Many do use folder rulesets to develop on first to make sure everything is correct and then when finished they make an extension or add on of just the changes. The advantage of this is that because it is just a modification of some items of the 4E ruleset you can usually continue to get updates of the 4E ruleset and they will "just" work. In your case if all you are changing about the 4E ruleset is the fonts the odds are very high that your extension would continue to work since the font part of FG is not that likely to change anytime soon.

Zeus
August 22nd, 2010, 09:11
Back when the 4E ruleset was known as the 4E_JPG ruleset and prior to the re-skin and themes being introduced, I wrote the 4E Font extension as an example extension should anyone want to replace the standard fonts used in the 4E ruleset.

Unmodified, the 4E Fonts extension does absolutely nothing when used with a standard copy of the 4E ruleset .PAK. This, as it is simply replacing the standard 4E ruleset fonts with the same fonts.

If you want to change the fonts, simply open the extension archive and i) edit the file graphics_fonts.xml to add/replace the font definitions and then ii) copy any replacement fonts into the extensions graphics/fonts folder ensuring the filenames match the definitions added/changed int step i.

Dracenfels
August 22nd, 2010, 22:07
Ok well I don't want to mess with anything and then not have my program or my campaigns not work right so I'll just leave it alone and do what I have been doing Photoshopping handouts and adding them as images ...not a big deal. Thanks for all the info but it seems a bit out of my reach and I don't want to experiment and have my campaigns get messed up, especially because I want to make my fonts pretty ;) I thought it would be something simple like copying and pasting fonts into the fonts folder or something hehe.